Great bargains from E-bay / Garage / Yard / Car boot sales

Re: Great bargains from E-bay / Garage / Yard / Car boot sal

First off, it becomes infinitely less awesome with a tech upgrade.

Next: I went to goodwill yesterday, got a 25 y/o black&decker waffle iron. Not only that, but it works... like perfectly, and is perfect condition, and came with the manual. How awesome is that? I'm now the proud owner of a waffle iron. :D and proud certainly describes is.

I also got semi-ripped off, and bought two genny controllers and an xbox original controller S for $2 a pop but... no shipping, so it's all good.

Got a Kal 3000 multimeter for $1, price from what I can find $70-$100. Jelly?

Also got a bike cargo rack for FREE! :awesome: Has a broken weld but I got some JB weld to fix it, just having trouble holding the 2 pieces together.

Got 1500 feet of cotton rope for $35. Awesome.

best thing i ever got was when i was going dumster diving on the day before trash day (monday) i went and checked a couple of dumsters i usely find good stuff in and what i found that day was
1 cash register with $20 in it(went to subway and bought 2 footlongs)
1 electric scooter
1 GIANT GARBAGE BAG filled with like over 1,000 vcr tapes and dvds
2 n64s with expansion packs in (and filled with dead roaches ewww)
1 copy of working oot
1 copy of some random n64 game some skating game gave it away
1 working portable dvd player and i found the charger in there too
1 gbc with pokemon silver in it
1 copy of phantom hour glass
and last but not least a copy of Sonic 3d blast for the genisis
I love my town and i love dumpster diving
(Ps best thing i ever found in a dumpster was a unopened box of snickers)

That's nasty, and the people in your town are stupid.

Anyway, bought two PS3 Intec Combat Arcade Sticks for $10 each. I wanted them for a project, but I think I'll keep one for me. The buttons are definitely not pro-grade but they are usable. The stick is terrible though, it's wobbly and very difficult to hit diagonals. I plan on modding one, swapping the flaxty stick out for a JLF or LS-32.

hey now, don't diss dumpster diving... I know a guy that got a solid mahogany door doing it... do you have any idea how much that flax is worth? Think in the thousands.

A little time ago I got:

A black GameCube
An ORIGINAL GameCube Controller
An original power cord
An original AV cord

All for free from the same guy.
Best. Deal. Evah. :pirate:

There was a Mac Classic sitting on the junk pile at work today so I grabbed it. The CRT works perfectly, but unfortunately it was sitting in a basement flood or something at one point because the lithium PRAM backup battery exploded and there are chunks of loose rust rattling around.

So why did I grab it, you ask? Parts.

I've got an SE/30 that needs a new tube and floppy drive, and this Classic is an early model which has parts that just swap over to the earlier 9" all-in-one models. I don't know if the floppy drive in the Classic works or not, but the SE/30's is kaput. "It might work" is a lot better than "it doesn't work". Whether the entire tube has to get transplanted or just some components off the analog board, I don't know. I can't find much info about the SE/30's particular problem (most info out there is about logic board failures), but it shows the classic signs of a CRT getting low voltage. After it's been gutted of all its useful parts I'll probably stuff the Classic shell full of NAS parts. (There's lots of room in there once the tube is out of the way. How hard can it be, right? :dah: )

Cost: $0 :awesome:

e: Come to think of it they asked me to fix it once before. If I remember correctly the logic board is completely ruined due to battery gunk and the steel frame is actually rotten from acid or water exposure. What have I gotten myself into this time? :gonk:

Got an atari xe from goodwill a while ago for 3 bucks

also got 2 n64s w/ cables + controller
2 ps1s
gamecube w/ cables
for like 45 bucks at goodwill

YEAH GOODWILL

also about 3 or 4 months ago
i got
3gamecubes 1 black 1 silver and 1 purple
6 regular controllers
3 wavebird controllers
3 av plugs
3 power plugs
1gamecube game carring case
1 2015 block or something like that memory card
2 more memory cards don't know the blocks
and 1 gba player that i sold for $20 to a friend
all for FREE!!!
on the same day too
but from 3 different people
I LOVE WHERE I LIVE

The Goodwill near where I live overprices everything usually. There was a flaxTY trashed up pool table I wanted to get until I saw they were asking almost 700 dollars for it. The felt was half peeled up and it had major aesthetic damage. It would take a bit to get it fixed up completely. The cool thing about it, though, is that it was a pay-to-play pool table, but the coin mechanism was jammed.
There was also a pretty crappy looking desk that was primarily particle board they were asking around 85 for. Like the ones you can buy at Ikea for that price new.

Long story short, the Goodwill near where I live seems to have someone mentally incompetent pricing.

I feel your pain, Herma.

Savers has become much less of a thrift store and more of an overpriced secondhand shop. It wouldn't be as bad if anything they sold was in good condition. I've seen exactly one game console there that wasn't obviously abused by young children, and as luck would have it it was also the best-priced of the ones I've ever seen there. (As such my sister got a Dreamcast for Christmas from me one year. :awesome: ) Everything else is usually just as bad, except for records and the odd Laserdisc that gets thrown in with the LPs. XD

While our Goodwill is usually pretty good about prices (minus some exceptions in electronics, which I think are just overpriced out of ignorance), there's rarely much there that's any good...

Got a free atari 520 with almost everything. (No monitor, but RF out) printer and stuff is all here. Free. I suppose I should check if it functions.

Almost got a free organ off of Craigslist, but my dad wasn't up for an hour long drive to go get it.

It wasn't working, but it looked nice and I feel I could get it to work.

man, I would totally grab that flax. Find a friend with a truck, seriously.

Twilight Wolf said:
Savers has become much less of a thrift store and more of an overpriced secondhand shop.
I like Savers. They generally have decent stuff at okay prices, but they always separate electronics from the power adapters so you have to buy them separately. :wtf: We dropped off a few 10base-T Ethernet hubs one time, with the power adapters taped to them with packing tape, and a week later they were on the shelf and the adapters were hanging up with the film cameras in bags. :facepalm:

Salvation Army is terrible with pricing. $5 for used CDs, at least $50 for anything with a wall cord that isn't a toaster. They probably have a sign in the back that says "Electronics cost $50, add $10 for every additional green thing you don't understand inside". :rolleyes: Once they had a Mac LC that was yellowed worse than the average SNES for $150. It had no monitor or peripherals. The year was 2004.

Everything else is usually just as bad, except for records and the odd Laserdisc that gets thrown in with the LPs. XD
Overheard in the Savers media area:
"Oooh this record is awesome it's so shiny!"
"This is one BIG DVD :O"

I'm freaking out because I just found out that Casio CZ-101 and CZ-1000 are highly sought after, and I saw one or the other (they're quite similar other than size) at my thrift store for $10... I haven't managed to get back over there though. I'm hoping I can grab it soon.

Oh, I got two Shock 'n' Rock CGB accessories for a buck, traded for a refurbished NES with controller and light gun and two Patrick Swayze stickers. Decent deal, I suppose.

hey bic I totally worked at a Savers last summer for a forklift license. What I can tell you is I've scene some really wild stuff go through the sorting. some people are right on it and buy things from the management. Most of them however; I really disliked most of the sorters. Most didn't have a clue with some of the stuff they where sorting out, and some if they where having a bad day, would just toss most of there traffic in the trash. I watched a really cool limited additon Famicon bounce around between the book department and Misc for most of the day. I wasn't allowed to do any thing about it. I should have I found out I was the least kept track off.. I found this out when I put together a safety meet with some shaken sorter staff.

Receiving is the best place to work, your out side almost the hole day, you get to drive stuff and your most likly the guys getting the good electronics first. you do have to do it in a rich place to have any reason to steal from savers, and please do. Savers is ran by Walmart, allot of there practices in the way they pay out the charities is Fing wrong, even with the charities working for them in most cases. steal from savers.

It's rare that I ever go to Goodwill. However, I thought I might've donated Ben's book over there, and since it's selling for over $100 used, I dropped by to see if they had it. Sadly, they didn't, but there were too boxes there. I FLIPPED OUT.

Anyone recognize these?
8ZMG9.jpg

$6.99 for one, and the other for $9.99. One is the gamecube component cable, the REAL digital port cable, the other is a D-Terminal cable (Japanese component). I will probably sell the D-Terminal cable, and keep the other.

Back