Bushwhacker's N64p Log; UPDATED DAILY;please help NEW DESIGN

Bush

sweet justice
Revised as of December 20.

I had a very terrible design here earlier, but since I have changed it, Ill update it. My portable will be in a small, rectangular case built from DVD cases. Ill post an Image in a below post. Here is my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/bushjt987); which has my video worklog. From those videos you can see what exactly I will do, and my progress. Thanks Guys!

Re: Bushwhacker's N64p Log; need help with battery/controller

UDATED 12/20/09

n64plan2.png

looks like you've got this puppy planned out pretty well! The only thing you need to know about the controllers are that there is only 1 data pin, with 3.3v and ground at the other 2 outside pins(from left to right on the controller port on the n64, it's 3.3v, data, and then gnd) If you're trimming the board of the n64(to make it easier to fit other components) you can input the 3.3v line at the player 1 3.3v line.

I don't see the point of having the AV cord sticking out like that. Seriously, just use a switch.

Thanks mako ill be needing more help in installing the controller later. I should be getting the 64 today. XCVG: im not soldering the av right now because its going to be connected to a dvd player through composite. When i recase it and get a better screen, ill solder it in.

SS thats like exactly it lol, except mine will have a mounted dvd player where your screen is

Just found out my friend has a ps1 screen Heck sell me!

Snatch it up really fast, and don't act too excited, so you can get it for cheap :rofl:

Lol he doesnt know the value lol im gettin it for like 30 bucks man

niceeeeee. You're defenitley putting that in the portable :dahroll: it's basically the main ingredient to any portable that's not crapola.

No more crappy dvd player lol

Questions: 1how thick is a zn45? 2 Would it require board trimming to fit the board in? 3How hard is it to led mod a psone screen and 4if i choose not to do it can i still power it easily? 5If i hardwire the psone screen to the board, will the original av out still work, 6or do i have to split a connection? 7If im not skilled at soldering would it still be easy to relocate the cart slot? 8How do i integrate my controller into a case?9 Is it possible to cut it into parts, 10or if not how do i connect the buttons to the board? 11Are lipo batteries dangerous?12 Would li ions be cheaper/ safer? Sorry for all this but thanks if you can help

1: Real thick. 2"
2: You only need to do a bit of trimming for the board to fit.
3 + 4: Its not hard to LED mod a PSone screen. If you choose not to do it, then you can't use the ZN cases without adding plastic at the top.
5 + 6: You will need a switch if you want to use AV out as well as have the screen connected.
7: Relocating the cart slot is not hard per say, but messing up connections is easy.
8 + 9: You will have to cut you controller into pieces so you can have it on the sides of the screen. Another option is to use two controllers; cutting one up and connecting it to the second.
10: Are you asking how to connect the controller to the N64? if so, its only 3 wires.
11: Lithium Polymer batteries are not dangerous.
12: Li-ions are not safer, and I'm not sure about pricing.
Hope this helps...

Argelfraster said:
3 + 4: Its not hard to LED mod a PSone screen. If you choose not to do it, then you can't use the ZN cases without adding plastic at the top.
7: Relocating the cart slot is not hard per say, but messing up connections is easy.
11: Lithium Polymer batteries are not dangerous.

3. It's hard in the sense that you can get dirt inside the backlight material and mes it up. It's a decent amount of wiring / resistors/ soldering, etc . You need the proper lights, resistors for it to look good.

7. If you aren't good at soldering or patient it is hard.

11. Li-po's are extremely dangerous. They explode easily if you connect them backwards, overcharge or overdischarge them, do not use a protection circuit, or overheat them. Be very careful with Li-Po's.

I thought only Li-ions were extremely dangerous.
And Mako, hes saying that li-po's are dangerous without a protection circuit.

Li-Pos and Li-ions are exactly the same, just different shapes. You need the same circuitry for both.

Thanks guys, as it turns out, i cant get the screen til after christmas, and ny dumb friend still hasnt given me the 64

I do have another question though: would it be possible to run it with rechargeable batteries? Double A's are 1.5v each, so if i use 5 thats 7.5 volts close to 7.4 also i need someone to tell me what voltage an unmodded ps1 screen can run on

Back