Widescreen n64p project

Hello, I've been lurking around for a while. Checking everything out, and looking at everyone's projects. I've also been checking out benheck, madebybacteria, and checked out the gcforever forums, because the gamecube is awesome, and I've enjoyed looking at all your projects

I'm new to building portables. I've done a lot of modding and small fabrication over the years and I've wanted to build something like this for quite a while, so here I am. I wanted to start a wip thread for my 64 a long time ago, but was waiting to see how far I got into the project to make sure I was going to stick with it.

I haven't taken many pics of the progress so far, but I'll share what I have

I'm going with a 7" widescreen LCD, I don't care about the aspect ratio. I modded the screen to accept rgb input.. but I'm not sure my 64 will work with it, I could not get my 64 to output a signal through rgb.. idk why. I got tired of it and decided to use composite, it looks good enough on a tiny 7" screen anyways

After killing one 64(motherboard probably still works, it's just beyond my skills to repair)I started on another. I've already relocated the cartridge slot, and rewired the jumper pak. I've removed the controller ports, reset and power switches, av out and power jacks, and I'm happy that its still working. I will be trimming the board down, just a little.. thats how I killed the first 64. I also trimmed the PCB for the LCD and controller

I already have a WAH regulator from TI, and heatsinks. Now all I need are batteries, and a case.. I'm going to vacuum form a case because I have access to it, so all I need is a mold. I need to think of a good design... I really love the designs made by marshallh, but since my lcd is widescreen, it would be VERY wide, so I'm kinda thinking of going gameboy style with this, and having the controller below the screen.. but I'm not sure..

Well I waited too long to finish this post, so my laptop battery is about to die, so I will post pics of my progress so far as soon as I get home, I'll try to think up a case design to post as well. Thanks for reading my long-ish post

When you trimmed your first motherboard did you sand the edges well before you applied any power?

Also, am excited to see progress. Good luck.

Oh, and you're going to have some naysayers on your ignoring of the aspect ratios, but it's your choice and project, so just ignore them.

Yeah I already know, lol. I've come across a few posts where someone had something to say about it. Doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it at this point, I've gotten so used to playing the 64 on a HDTV that playing it on a crt makes it look all smashed to me. Anyways, no I didn't sand it, but I did rub the burrs off with a razor, I suppose thats not good enough though.... all I did was cut through some traces and when I wired them back together it no longer worked, the traces have a good connection, LED still turns on, the rcp heats up just as fast as my other 64s so idk. I cut the cart slot off, so the cart would have to be wired to the rcp anyways. If anyone wants it, I'd be glad to put it in the mailbox and see someone do something with it.

I'm running out of room on my small work table, wish I had a shed. Anyways, here's a few pictures

After rewiring the jumper pak
DSCF3017.jpg

Everything kinda hooked up and working
Untitled-3.png

As far as a case is concerned, I have some ideas for the back, and how thick it will need to be, but for now, this is the front design. I based the dimensions off of my eee pc 900. I held the LCD flat against it, and it looks like it will fit pretty well. I also have a set of speakers from a ds lite that should fit perfectly on the sides. I'm going to use ds lite buttons for the c buttons, and a gc d-pad. All the other buttons will be the actual n64 buttons, along with an analog stick, instead of the photo diode crap

I know it looks like it might be hard to hold, but I think if I make the back of the case stick out near the bottom, it will add a little support while holding. like a gameboy color... I still might have to move the controls more toward the center though, to have better grip in the palm
n64layout2.png

Let me know what you think.

I know I'm total noob status, and its not much right now, but bear with me.

That's a nice looking design... however, I don't think it'd be very comfortable. At all.
It looks like your hands would be hanging off the edge, and it would be like playing a massive NES controller that is extremely top heavy.
Also, what exactly did you do to the original mobo before it broke?

Looks good I'm excited to see the end result. :awesome:
I can take the mobo and see if I can get it to work, what do you want for it?

It does look kind of uncomftorable to hold. Maybe you could do some frankencasing and attach some handles to it.

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I could make it upside down. It would be different, lol

I know it looks uncomfortable, that's why I said I will probably move the controls more toward the center so it will fit better in the palms of your hands. Also if I had the back bulged out near the bottom, it will add support for your hands and add battery space.. I could also make the case a little longer, I like the idea of adding handles, but idk, I'll figure something out, it's just a rough design. I really like it though.. I don't want it to be too wide, and I also don't care for the gameboy style look, so I tried to go in between. Either way, I have plenty of time to figure the case out. I'm sure it will end up being changed a lot anyways.

ProgMetalMan said:
Also, what exactly did you do to the original mobo before it broke?
I cut through the 2 traces that run along the front of the motherboard. Right above the LED. There is no visible reason for it not to work. Might just be a solder splash that I can't spot

W00gala I'll give you that motherboard, I'll just put it in an envelope, slap a stamp on it, and send it.

I reconnected those traces several times, with different wires too. Multimeter says its solid all the way through. Oh well

Anyways, I tried to form the case, and bubbles keep ruining it... I've tried this twice. First time the oven was set at 350, now I have the oven at 275 and I'm still getting bubbles in the acrylic, less bubble than the first, but still. Should I lower the temperature more? Or should I look for a different type of plastic?
DSCF3066.jpg

After making the molds I held it in my hands, and It's actually really easy to hold, so I'm not too worried about it being uncomfortable

Is that just straight up acrylic, Plexiglas, or Lexan you're using? You might try some PETG (it's clear and forms easily) or HIPS (high impact polystyrene) if you can't get what you've got on hand to work.

yep, acrylic. I read that I might have trouble forming acrylic. I tried to find a plastics supplier here, but they didn't have what I wanted, plus the prices were crazy. But, yeah acrylic was the best I could get out of home depot.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything else online. I'll use up the rest of the acrylic and see if I can figure something out with it.

EDIT
I just found this, cheap enough, I went ahead and ordered it
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=41606&catid=704

Cool. I've ordered from US Plastic Corp. before and they're easy to work with, ship promptly, and have fair prices. Can't ask for much more than that.

From the description of the PETG you ordered:
Forming temperature is 250°F to 320° F
If you can get your heater/oven/whatever you're using to those temps, you're good. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

So I've been working on this slowly. I made my case, and the bulge in the back makes it easy to hold onto, it feels fine in my hands, so that's cool.

But I'm worried about the thickness of my heat sinks, what do you think?

I played mario kart on it for about 30 mins, it didn't overeat but that was out of the case. And I have more heat sinks, so if I need to I can replace them I just don't want them to be too thick
DSCF3243.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, but here are a couple of progress pics. Even though my camera is 14mp.. it is cheap, and it's a real pain to get a decent picture out of it sometimes

Here is my partially assembled hotglue machine.. I know, It's hideous on the inside.. I had planned on using some sort of epoxy, but it wasn't ready to use on the spot soo..

The wiring needs to be cleaned up some, and I am jb welding some studs for the n64 motherboard.
DSCF3224.jpg

DSCF3227.jpg

A picture running. Forgive me for the phone picture quality. I was just testing it and wanted to send a picture to a friend of mine
untitled-3.png

The heatsinks shouldn't be a problem. If you look at some of the more recent portables, they literally use a sheet of copper.

Back