The "WiiBoy"

That makes our lives so much easier, lives without needing big regulator circuits stuffed into little hot cases that are stuffed with cold solder joints and hot glue. Oh, the happiness!(actually, I think that's a really good thing)

hailrazer said:
Have you found a way to get the Wii to run on less than 10v?

I'm assuming , no , but I can always hope :)

You can indeed run it off under 10v, it works fine at 9.6v for me. The problem is, it needs the startup voltage to be 12v or higher. I have been thinking of using a 12v capacitor to see if it could help "jump start" the Wii, then work fine on, say, an 11.1v pack.

The pics are taken, but I will not be uploading them till tomorrow. :)

PalmerTech said:
hailrazer said:
Have you found a way to get the Wii to run on less than 10v?

I'm assuming , no , but I can always hope :)

You can indeed run it off under 10v, it works fine at 9.6v for me. The problem is, it needs the startup voltage to be 12v or higher. I have been thinking of using a 12v capacitor to see if it could help "jump start" the Wii, then work fine on, say, an 11.1v pack.

The pics are taken, but I will not be uploading them till tomorrow. :)
Umm... the voltage on a capacitor will only be as high as the voltage that you put into it. however, I remember my ECE professor mentioning that Inductors are used in cars to temporarily create a higher voltage than the car battery can supply in order to start it.

What you could, do, I suppose, is maybe having a small "startup battery" that is hooked up in series only when the system is starting up, but disconnected afterwards.

grossaffe said:
Umm... the voltage on a capacitor will only be as high as the voltage that you put into it. however, I remember my ECE professor mentioning that Inductors are used in cars to temporarily create a higher voltage than the car battery can supply in order to start it.

What you could, do, I suppose, is maybe having a small "startup battery" that is hooked up in series only when the system is starting up, but disconnected afterwards.

I know that, Gross. ;) The Wii has several places you can draw low MA 12v and 16v from. Those would charge the capacitor while the Wii was on, and when it was turned off, they would retain the charge, hopefully. If it somehow died, you would have to jumpstart it using the wall charger cable.

PalmerTech said:
grossaffe said:

I know that, Gross. ;) The Wii has several places you can draw low MA 12v and 16v from. Those would charge the capacitor while the Wii was on, and when it was turned off, they would retain the charge, hopefully. If it somehow died, you would have to jumpstart it using the wall charger cable.
And you're sure you'll be able to get that without inputting the proper voltage to the board?

Also, you'll have to consider the fact that the capacitor will drain if its still hooked up in a circuit, so you'll have to have single-pole triple-throw switch, I believe. One side to charge the capacitor, middle to take it off the circuit, and then the other side to jump-start the wii. I'm not familiar with the real-world discharge rate of a capacitor not wired into a circuit, so I'm not sure even that setup would work.

We're motivating him, he should be thanking us. The real world doesn't accept things a day late.

palmer, capacitor idea won't work. Cap will discharge as static electricity and what-not through the air. battery may, though, or like I was mentionioning before, possibly inductors as a temporary step-up.

Back