The "WiiBoy"

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
Before I left on my trip, I pulled apart my box-o-wii stuff, and have decided to make a portable wii (Not a laptop).

I face a few decisions, though: Should I make my case large WITH a disc drive, or slim and without a disc drive, using a hard drive to load games? The wii motherboard cannot be cut down too much, and right now, I have two great cases. One is a good bit bigger than I need it to be, and will fit the wii mobo untrimmed. My other case will need to be extended, and pretty extensive trimming.

Any thoughts?

You guys are useless. :funny:

I decided to make one with a disc drive first, then one with a HDD. I can see which one I like better, and sell the other one. ;)

The sad thing is, no matter how much you trim the wii mobo, there are critical parts RIGHT on the edges. After a massive blank space. :cry: So even hardcore trimming gets you an extra 10% off at BEST.

It depends what kind of hard drive. I would refer to use the hdd one as long as the hdd has plenty of space and is quiet. It would be awesome to have solid state drive but not really conceivable. But I suppose a handheld with a cd drive would be very vulnerable to bumps as well. But the hdd could just up and fail.

I would make a standard one, no fancy modchips or anything to get an hdd to work. I think it would make things much simpler. Unless you of course already know how to use the interface of the modchip and hdd. Then that one would be suited for you to keep for yourself. There are little people already willing to pay a high price for a wii portable. Now they would have to figure out how to use the interface with the hdd.

If your making one to sell then I would go with the dvd one. If you're making one for yourself then go with the hdd.

I have a 32gb SSD, I could use that, or my 2.5" 320gb SATA laptop drive.

I would relocate, but they are parts that go to inner layer traces, no way to know where to hook them up.

You should make a built in classic controller, but I don't know how that would work out.

A gamecube controller should be integrated. Also, install Bootmii. In the homebrew Channel, be sure to install GCLoader so you can load gamecube games from the homebrew channel, which will now be accessible by gamecube controller through bootmii. Of course install any and all wanted emulators and other games while you're at it.

Who needs an all in one system when you have a portable wii. Awesome.

32gb might be a bit small to hold everything, even if games are only 4.7gb, that's still only six games. I would go with the normal hdd.

wait, if you're not using a disk drive, does that mean you're using the flatmii+microITX?

There is now an ISO loader that can run games from any USB HDD, plugged straight into the wii. Makes my flatmii somewhat useless... Although, it is faster, can never be patched/updated to not work, and it also works with GC ISOs. :thumb:

I plan on using a built in GC controller. Can I launch wii games using bootmii? I would like to play Brawl and stuff. :mrgreen:

What good wi games support the GC controller that you guys play?

I am going to try and make this the smallest possible WiiP with a disc drive. An HDD one would be better, but oh well. :rolleyes:

The game cube controller would easily be the best option seeing as how it can play a lot of wii games and all of the virtual console games. I would use that instead of a classic controller.

Also a question, will you be putting a kickstand on the back? So you can play the normal wii games with it standing up, seeing as how it's not going to be a laptop.

Yes, I plan on having a stand. Not sure if I will make it built in, or something that clips on. My current logic is that if I have something to carry along a wiimote and nunchuk, then I will have no problem carrying a small stand as well. ;)

Anything that can run in the homebrew channel can be done with Bootmii as bootmii gives you the ability to boot into the homebrew channel. There's also an SD browser, as well as a backup/restore utility to backup your Wii's memory (NAND, I think?) and restore it, so if somehow it gets corrupted, you should be able to unbrick your wii if you backed it up previously.

reminds me of something I came up with quite a while back on benheck.

Here is the drawing concept I made.

wiip.jpg

sorry, palmertech but you are not the first to have this idea.

themadhacker said:
reminds me of something I came up with quite a while back on benheck.

Here is the drawing concept I made.
sorry, palmertech but you are not the first to have this idea.

Heh, I imagine not. ;) Mine is way smaller than that, though. ;)

I might be able to take pics before I leave on my trip!

palmer HAD been thinking of a portable wii for awhile; we'd discussed it from time to time. Now with Bootmii and a Wii disk launcher, it seems a lot more purposeful.

grossaffe said:
palmer HAD been thinking of a portable wii for awhile; we'd discussed it from time to time. Now with Bootmii and a Wii disk launcher, it seems a lot more purposeful.

That sentence sounds incredibly wrong. But anyway, I'll be watching this project, looks cool.

Back