Nintendo64/Gameboy advance

Well, I hooked up the power to the 7805 regulator and it turns white very fast makes a little crackling sound and turns off. Which means that the screen is not getting a signal. What could cause this to happen? I have a a/v output jack hooked up to the composite, and audio and thewise1 resently posted about how you can't hook them up together without a switch. So, I put a switch on the ground to shut it on/off. I don't know if this will work, will it? Or does the switch go on the composite and audio.

Also, if you look at my N64 pictures above you will see that the wires go through the wholes and then connect to the correct pins on the back. Does this work? When I was taking the N64 apart I saw that the pins touch so, I don't think it matters.

Ideas
1. The ribbon cable is not in properly
2. fried N64
3. a lose wire in the cartidge slot
4. anything else?

:eek: You did connect the voltage to the TOP pin, the pin closest to the cartslot, correct? Otherwise, you're *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed.

Here are two things I did different that might be the issue:

Well, if you look at my pictures in my first update you will see that my cartidge slot wires go in the middle wholes. Can I put them in the middle wholes and then connect them on the pins in the back for more strength.

I added a a/v output jack taking the composite and audio. It might be taking from the screen. I added a switch on the ground line since thewise said you can't just hook it up.
Well, I took the red as I believe is right audio. White as left and yellow as composite. correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I checked all the lines everything is hokoed up correctly. Well, as long as this is correct
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14556

designer noob said:
Well, if you look at my pictures in my first update you will see that my cartidge slot wires go in the middle wholes. Can I put them in the middle wholes and then connect them on the pins in the back for more strength.

That explains it, you need to connect to the outer holes. The inner holes go nowhere.

No, they go in the inner holes and then connect to the outer holes on the back. I don't think that me putting the wires in the inner hole will make a difference as long as it connects to the outer holes after. I did this so, the wires have more strength and can bend far easier.

designer noob said:
No, they go in the inner holes and then connect to the outer holes on the back. I don't think that me putting the wires in the inner hole will make a difference as long as it connects to the outer holes after. I did this so, the wires have more strength and can bend far easier.

Okay, that works. I misread your post. Try to be more clear next time.

Update: I re wired the whole cart system(only the circuit board part) and nothing
I am going to take a couple of pictures and see if you guy see anything bad about my work

How much voltage comes out of the screens composite, and audio pins? I am wondering if my screen has bad pins.

I am going to describe how I hooked everything up and maybe you can find a flaw in what I did.

Picture one: The black and green area are positive and negative. The yellow and blue area are the spots where the wire breaks into two each going to the switch and then to their own system.
Picture two: The black area is where I put the ground. Green is where the composite video went and blue/ orange are the audio.
Picture three: The three black spots are were the battery's negatives hook up to. The two red spots are where the 3.3v come in from the pth0800. The yellow area is where the postitive from the battery comes. Also, spots are hooked up in the back for extra strength.
Picture four: The black area is where the ground pases through a switch to turn off/on. It then spreads into three more wires hooking up to each of the output jacks. The green spots are audio, and composite.
Picture five: just a picture of my 12 pole double throw switch. I can turn the N64 off or on and the Gameboy advance on/off or both systems.
Picture six: The composite has three wires leading from it one going to the gameboy advance/N64/ and a/v outut jack. This goes for ground too. Each of the audio's only have two wires coming from it one for the N64/ and a/v output jack.
If you guys can't get any ideas for what the problem could be from these pictures, then I will just try to desolder and solder pieces of the project and check if it fixes it.
P7141364-1-1.jpg
P7121356-1.jpg
P7141360-1.jpg
P7121358-1.jpg
P7141365-1.jpg
P7141362-1.jpg

First of all, take off your RCA jacks until later, that could be screwing with it, and it appears that you soldered your A/V to the wrong pins. Don't worry, I did it too, you soldered on the top in the wrong spots it appears.

I will remove my wire from the top and solder it to the bottom spot.
Do I have the ground in the right area?
Also there are three wholes what is the third one for?

Also, the pins on the screen for composite, audio, and ground are in. I don't think putting a switch on the line would work unless as the n64 shot the composite and audio up the wire it also went to the a/v. But then what ever the N64 was shooting up the line would be cut in half. Some going to the a/v output jack, some to the screen. Since there are two wires connected to that wire.

Update: I took off the A/v output jack and tried it, but it didn't work. Then, I hooked up the composite video on an alternate pathway and still nothing. So, this is starting to get annoying. Good thing about is I have three more N64's.

Update:I just noticed that the red lcd light doesn't even turn on, but I check the line and it giving off 3.275 volts which should be enough to turn it on. So, what could cause the red LCD light ot turn on?

designer noob said:
Also, the pins on the screen for composite, audio, and ground are in. I don't think putting a switch on the line would work unless as the n64 shot the composite and audio up the wire it also went to the a/v. But then what ever the N64 was shooting up the line would be cut in half. Some going to the a/v output jack, some to the screen. Since there are two wires connected to that wire.
I can't understand what you're saying.

designer noob said:
I just noticed that the red lcd light doesn't even turn on, but I check the line and it giving off 3.275 volts which should be enough to turn it on. So, what could cause the red LCD light ot turn on?

Your N64 is either sleeping or fried. Leave it for a few days to a week and if it still doesn't work junk it.

Does it matter if you have Heatsinks on the Nintendo 64 when its out in a wide open area? I jsut read that you never want to turn on the N64 without heatsinks no matter what. This might have fried my N64 cause I never put any heatsinks on. But I only turn on the N64 for a couple of seconds.

designer noob said:
Does it matter if you have Heatsinks on the Nintendo 64 when its out in a wide open area? I jsut read that you never want to turn on the N64 without heatsinks no matter what. This might have friend my N64 cause I never put any heatsinks on. But I only turn on the N64 for a couple of seconds.

You can run the N64 for at least a few minutes without heatsinks.

designer noob said:
Does it matter if you have Heatsinks on the Nintendo 64 when its out in a wide open area? I jsut read that you never want to turn on the N64 without heatsinks no matter what. This might have fried my N64 cause I never put any heatsinks on. But I only turn on the N64 for a couple of seconds.
Actually, you only have to put a heatsink on the RCP. The ram and CPU don't get hot enough. After playing with my n64p out of it's case, the RCP would get super hot and the n64 would reset. It stays cool enough for about 5 minutes.

Huh, I always thought the RAM was the hottest part. But yeah, RCP makes sense. In any case, better be safe and put heatsinks on all of them (and the expansion pack if you use it) in your portable.

Back