Nintendo64/Gameboy advance

Update: Desoldered the cartidge slot and N64.
Update: Another n64 is ready for hookup
Update: More than half way done relocating the cartidge slot

Update: In, two days I should have the N64 all hooked up again

Update: I just want to say I am the smartest person on Earth
Update: I found out my problem on the N64. I don't know how I forgot about this or how it came to me. But the N64 on/off switch as four set of pins, which you are suppose to connect. I forgot to do this and it worked.

Problem: The screen flickers from working (its not perfectly working the screen is white and the message that says no controllers is inserted is blended) to white screen.
Is that becasue power is not perfectly soldered, so its turning on/off or composite video is glitchy. Or is it because ground are not touching all the time?

Also, after I am done with the project I will have two N64 boards that can be given away for free becasue I can't sell them out of the case. I don't know if they are fried or not because I never hooked up the four set of pins. You just have to pay shipping and handling.

I don't know if this name has been taken or not, but it will be something along the lines of The N64/GBA Remix or The Remix( you will undertand the name more when you see it all finished)

I was wondering is there any way other than using a dremel to cut a circuit board without frieing it becasue all the dremels I see are very expensive and I don't know the next time a sail for a dremel with be on.

I was thinking with all that pressure from a knife or soething to cut it would damage the board in someway not nessecary frieing it.

Its just the controller boards that I need to split into two. So, they can be placed at the other ends of the case. I have the Nes controller that I bought because you said it was easy to trim down and wire up on your guides.

Trimming a board are you? There are basically 3 ways.
1. Knife: Preferable an x-acto but I've heard box cutter too. Score and snap. Requires a lot of scoring and is hard to do because of all the raised components.
2. Dremel: Works quick and easy but is kinda rough and you can damage stuff easy if you slip.
3. Bandsaw: Nice straight cut, quick and easy. It's hard to screw up but if you do, you're screwed. The biggest downside is that not everybody has or can afford a bandsaw.

I used knife because it was all I had at the time. Worked okay, but make nice deep grooves and don't be sloppy. As for Dremeling, you're going to need a dremel sooner or later anyway.

I think I am going to just go and get like a 30 dollar black and decker rotary saw from walmart(hopeing for a coupon). Lifeofbrian said his was very good and I really don't think you need name brand stuff. Also, I will only be using it like a couple of times for these project and some other ones.

Update: hooked up my a/v output jack and it works perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQkpm-S_vhI

I have a video posted of a problem I am having with my screen. I was wondering what the problem could be since the a/v output jack works perfectly. The only think that I could think of was that I should hook my composite video to the back of the screen. Any other ideas of the reason for the problem?

I checked my composite video and ground all seem to be fine. I am going to charge my battery to full power and see if that fixes the issue. Other than that I don't think I know what the problem is. Maybe the capacitor on the regulator or the capacitor that I wriped off aren't getting enough voltage.

Well that sucks. I checked to see if it works after 100% charged and nothing still the same. Well, actually it doesn't even show the picture anymore. So, it has gotten worse. Meaning it has to be one for the cords I soldered. Maybe I moved it when charging or something.

Could the the cord that connects the screen to the circuit board be damaged?

Well, my cells give off 8.4 volts when fully charged. But, I have done a lot of crap to the screen and everything, so that might be the reason. I will play with the screen tomorrow and try to get it to work. I might just end up buying a new screen and junking this one or selling.

I am going to try hooking up directly to composite in and see if that fixes the issue. If not then this just sucks. I just lost 50 dollars that I could have spent on my screen for the next project.

I have like five things to try before I can't doing anything.

:wtf: 3rd time writing this, I'm just going to make a tl;dr version. I doubt that the screen is ruined. Perhaps it's shorting out.

Why would the screen we shorting out?

Also, I removed the solder on PS1/PS2 and I tried just putting some on each one instead of one solder blob on the both. Know even with solder on PS1 and PS2 power doesn't make it through, must of burnt them. All I get is a black screen with a zzzzzzzzzzzzz sound. Like the sound you get when power can't make it some where and is blocked up. This is starting to get a little rediclious.

Update: I got solder on PS1 and PS2 and it worked, but just that crap before. The solder on PS1 and PS2 are touching though. Maybe that whats shorting it out is that PS1 and PS2 solder blobs are touching. But, I don't think it can work without have huge solder blobs there.
Update: just tested that theory again and it is ture. It only works when solder blobs are touching.

Update: it works now, but a new problem I hope you guys can answer. I will make a video.
Update: Before I made the video I had some ideas on what the problems were and one of them worked. The screen works 100% now.

I think I have had like 800000 problems.

Once I get some electrical tape/spacers. I will post pictures of upates with the GBA all hooked up and it working.

Update: I was trying to compact everything really tight and finally measures should be about 10inch long. (yeah, I know not that tight, but still fine with me). 5.5 inches in height to fit the N64 perfectly. 2.5 in to 3inch in depth.

Question: what does the space between the heat sinks and the fan have to be. I know I can't jsut lay the fan on top of the heatsinks or they will burn the plastic.

Well, what do you know a new problem: For some reason the circuit boards keep grounding themselves when I give power to the Gameboy Advance.

Update: I didn't keep the grounds seperate like bacteria said, so problem fixed now.

Problem: For some reason the circuit board powers up and the screen flickers to a darker black, but the white LEDs don't turn on (the light that comes form the corners of the screen) and the message no controllers are plugged in doesn't appear. I tried it with my a/v output jack and it works.

Problem fixed: CCFL flew and so did the regulator. I jsut got a new regulator and the screen works. Since the tubing on the screen is blow I will do the LED mod.

I will post pictures after I finish the LED mod. I was starting the LED mod and found out the blue LEDs I bought were to big.

Problem: The switches I have aren't really double pole double throw and my dad thinks the grounds are leaking out and so, it power.
I will be getting brand new switches and check to see if it works.

I will be buying new switches and LED lights today. They should come within 7 days. I also, bought a dremel and spacers today. So, tomorrow I will add heatsinks and cut off the tranformer. I will also add the spacers between the fan and N64 and N64 and circuit board. Then, take the switches off the cap so, I can remake the switch when they arrive. I will also be making the controller and case.

Edit: Just bought some crystal oscillators, switches, and LED lights
Edit: I just opened my gamecube controller for the motor and no motor to be found
Edit: I will be cuting up the controller and maybe wiring so, up not to much or wires will get mixed up with out some switches.

Back