Nintendo64/Gameboy advance

Then, cound't I go out and buy a charger that gives off more voltage than my N64 takes? I could get a universal charger or something. My battery already has circuit preotection so, wouldn't it be ok to do?

Too expensive. What you could do is have a double charger. It's like having the battery charger and the original power at the same time. you just have to make it so that when it's charging, it's not drawing power from the batteries. (SS made a diagram of this, I don't know where it is.)

My battery only gives off 600mah so, for this to work I would probably need like another 1amp charger.
I need to know how many amps everything takes to work
Nintendo 64 with expansion pack/rumble pack- 100- 200amp, 200 just be safe
screen-750amp
regulator for N64- to lwo to count
fan- to low to count
Gameboy advance-
converter-
anythign else?

designer noob said:
My battery only gives off 600mah so, for this to work I would probably need like another 1amp charger.
I need to know how many amps everything takes to work
Nintendo 64 with expansion pack/rumble pack- 100- 200amp, 200 just be safe
screen-750amp
regulator for N64- to lwo to count
fan- to low to count
Gameboy advance-
converter-
anythign else?

If your N64 takes 200 amps and your screen takes 750 amps, I'm surprised you aren't dead. Okay, in all seriousness the N64 takes about 1-2 amps, and the screen takes maybe 750mA, or .75 amps. Your 600mAh battery, assuming a 10C max discharge rate, can put out about 6 amps. But it won't do that for long. Okay, there are a few ways to power and charge a portable. The easiest is to use a removable battery pack, and make it so the portable can use power from the battery OR from the wall. The removable pack is removed and charged. You could hook up the portable and the charger/power supply in parallel, but I doubt you can find a powerful enough charger and using a power supply could be dangerous, although you can get protection circuits with charge circuitry. The third option is to put in a switch so you can charge the battery or use the battery but not both at the same time. With that method you would have 2 power jacks, one for the charger that goes to the battery and one for a power supply to power the device.

If I did chose to make the battery removeable you would have to get a regulator and some kind of transformer to switch the power from AC to DC. Then, cut it from 120 volts to something that works with the pth0800.

You could hook up the portable and the charger/power supply in parallel, but I doubt you can find a powerful enough charger and using a power supply could be dangerous, although you can get protection circuits with charge circuitry.

What does this although mean becasue I would really like an internal battery that doesn't have to come out.

designer noob said:
If I did chose to make the battery removeable you would have to get a regulator and some kind of transformer to switch the power from AC to DC. Then, cut it from 120 volts to something that works with the pth0800.

WHAT?!

Okay, this makes no sense. You have your battery, which is hopefully between 7 and 12 volts. You have that hooked up. It's removable so you can hook it to your charger, which is hopefully designed for your battery. Then you can plug in a wall wart or other power supply (also between 7 and 12 volts) into your portable.

designer noob said:
You could hook up the portable and the charger/power supply in parallel, but I doubt you can find a powerful enough charger and using a power supply could be dangerous, although you can get protection circuits with charge circuitry.

What does this although mean becasue I would really like an internal battery that doesn't have to come out.

It means you hook the power jack, portable power in, and battery all together. All the positives go together, all the negatives go together. So when you plug in your charger, the power can go to both the battery and the portable. The problem is finding a charger with enough amps to power your portable, plus most "smart" chargers will go nuts when you do this. If you use a power supply (7-12 volts) you will risk blowing your batteries or protection circuit.

ok, when you said the system works from power from the plugs I was a little confused becasue those give off tons of voltage.

XCVG said:

I just got the Nintendo 64s and I will be updating this post as I build the portable.

Yeah, thats what I am doing now, but I don't think there are chargers that will give enough power to the portable. Unless you get a universal charger which would cost a lot.

Update:I desoldered all my previous work and checked the wires for damage.
I also have another N64 ready for it to be connected.

I should have pictures of everything connected together tomorrow or the next day. It may be later becasue I have to get terminals for four way wires.

If you want to charge without removing, do this:
Slide1-9.jpg

When you do this, you can permanently solder the GBC power switch to "on" and bondo over the hole in the case. Put the switch in the IR space like you do when you overclock it.

That works until you want to play with wall or car power. But you could do that and put a second jack past the switch on the side that says "to gameboy". By the way, this thread is about the N64/GBA combo. Designer noob, you would hook up the "to gameboy" side to your system.

What I was trying to do was to play the N64 or GBA, while the system is charging, but you can't becasue the charger is giving less voltage than the system needs.

Probably better off with two power sources. You could put the jacks right beside each other and glue the plugs together, and put both the charger and power supply in one box, maybe with a 4-wire cable too.

Update: I have all the wires soldered on the board for cart relocation so, I am 50% til done with that. It taking a lot longer than expected so, pictures will be in a coming tomorrow or the next day.

Update: I just finished the cart relocation and will post pictures tomorrow

Here are the pictures Bacteria

P7121317-1.jpg
P7121318-1.jpg

Update: Made the 12pole double throw switch
Update: Made a 4pole double throw switch
Update: Hooked up the fan
Update: hooked up a a/v output
Update: Hooked up the N64 to the screen
Update: Fixed battery wiring for safety

Will be hooking up Gameboy Advance tomorrow
Controllers will be hooked up by the end of this week

My screen still only displays black. I have no clue why new N64 and wiring. (I have had myself grounded the whole time I was working with the circuit board.) I checked on my battery is giving it 7.33 volts, but it still turns on so I don't think its a power issue. I am going to fully charge my battery to see if it willcome on with more voltage.

I was also wondering is there another place you can hook up the 7.5volts I want to check if my pin is bad.

Maybe its the screen, but it powers up so, I dought it.

When I hook the Gameboy advance I will check to see if it comes on the screen and if it does then the problem is the N64.

Back