GBC Mod

N00BModdr said:
Ah!
But, can i use my LEDs and see the screen image if I use AR film?

Really dim LEDs will only wash out most of the image, and you'll be able to see some stuff.
Bright LEDs, and you'll see a big white screen.

GBA LCD + AR Film == Beautiful.

jleemero said:
GBA LCD + AR Film == Beautiful.
I understand that, I've been told this by four different people. As I have said, I have to way to get ahold of a broken SP or the LCD right now, and I don't want to wait until I can. Yes, I am impatiant, its a weakness. There just has to be a way to make this work with LEDs.
Right?There has to be a way...

N00BModdr said:
There just has to be a way to make this work with LEDs.
Right?There has to be a way...
Yup, a proper filter.
The kind you get out of "just about" anything with a frontlight.
Not many things use frontlights though.

Bibin said:
I've yet to encounter another frontlight. They aren't popular.
So is there any possible way I can make this work with LEDs? I'm gettong desperate now... :crying:

N00BModdr said:
What kind of filter? Can you specify?
A light disperser. No, that's not the name for it.
Basically it takes in light on one edge, and spread it out evenly over a single flat side.
Yeah, Bibin might know what one of these is 'really' called.

N00BModdr said:
Where else can I get one?
No bloody clue.
Frontlights are far from common, and haven't been used in years, no need for them.
GBA == Most reliable source I know of.

Google "frontlit lcd"
Guess what the first result is.

You *could* grab a GBA Afterburner kit.
I also bet you could modify a GBA Halo Light (though, no AR Film)

I believe some iPaq models might have used fronlights. Check ebay for bro- oh wait.

The GameGear...
I don't actually remember...
Maybe?

N00BModdr said:
jleemero said:
You *could* grab a GBA Afterburner kit.
I've heard of those. Where can I get one?
Nobody really sells them anymore.
You can still get them on eBay.

N00BModdr said:
jleemero said:
I also bet you could modify a GBA Halo Light
I have no idea what that is.
Works in a "similar" way to an Afterburner, except you don't actually have to open your GBA.
It snaps on to the front.
But, the principal is the same, for the most part.
You can get them: On eBay, and pretty much nowhere else (unless you speak Mandarin)

jleemero said:
Check ebay for bro- oh wait.

jleemero said:
You can still get them on eBay.

jleemero said:
You can get them: On eBay, and pretty much nowhere else

*sigh* my life would be so much easier with ebay...
Is there Any other way?

EDIT: Such as a third party video game site; unlike amazon, ebay, craigslist, etc.

Well thanks for all the information anyway everybody. I guess I'll have to put this on hold until I can get ahold of a GBASP. (I'm serious this time.)

There is another mod I'm trying to do, however, and maybe someone can help me out with that?

I want to install a rechargable battery pack in my GBC, like one from a PSP or DS, perhaps? And replace the 2 AA batteries. Is this possible? How do I do this?

If you have a broken DS, rewire the battery from that and stuff (I have no idea what I'm ta;ling about)

J.D said:
If you have a broken DS, rewire the battery from that and stuff (I have no idea what I'm ta;ling about)

I can tell you don't. That'll power the CGB, but you'll need to implement a charge circuit still.

Hey, N00B, would you be allowed to buy stuff here?
Because if so, I can easily get a hold of things like a GBA SP, and I'm sure others here could too.

Also, the battery from a DS Lite, or a PSP for that matter, puts out about 3.6(?) volts, which would be just fine for something like the CGB. (Probably)
You could totally wire one of those up.

However, the "better" solution would be to grab an existing "rechargeable battery pack" made for the CGB.
Good luck finding a decent one though!

Now, eStarland has, for only $5, a rechargeable battery pack made for the GBA.
It would be bloody easy to yoink that thing apart, slap the batteries in the back of the CGB, and wire up the charging port somewhere else on the CGB, possibly even replace the rarely-used A/C adapter port!

Bibin said:
J.D said:

I can tell you don't. That'll power the CGB, but you'll need to implement a charge circuit still.
Uhh...that's what the and stuff stood for... :geek2

Back