GBC Mod

N00BModdr

There's a mod I'm trying to do (among several), and I know little about electronics.
I am trying to put a front light on my GBC. I know that there are many ways to do this, most likely the best using the light from an old frontlit GBASP, but the way I want to do it is with LEDs. (Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated)
My question is: If I used 4 LEDs, by about how much would this affect the play time?

N00BModdr said:
the way I want to do it is with LEDs. (Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated)
You can, yes.
If you plan on really being able to see the screen at all though, and not just blinding light, you'll need certain filters.
Oh, hey, guess where you can get those? GBA SP.
I don't want to come across as rude, but it's just such a straight-forward and easy solution.
It's about the cheapest way to get good quality results as well. (As-Is GBA SP AGS-001; ~$10 - $25)

N00BModdr said:
My question is: If I used 4 LEDs, by about how much would this affect the play time?
Extremely little.
Seriously, extremely little.
4 good, bright-white LEDs along with the necessary resistors: about 200mW of power consumption.
That's less than 4% (if my math is right) of what even CHEAP Alkaline AA's can supply.

With a CGB?
Decent Alkaline AA's (Duracell!).
No LEDs: ~14 - ~17 hours.
With LEDs: ~13.5 - ~16.5 hours.

Not a big difference.

Well, like I said, I know little about electronics, so I didn't know that I would need a filter.
Can I just diffuse the LEDs for better light distribution?
Thanks for the information about the play time. :thumb:

Some people choose to diffuse LED's by sanding them down. You may wish to try this if you can't get a hold of a GBA SP backlight.

I saw how to sand the LEDs, and I have already done this to mine.
I looked, and I can't find an SP light. :sad:
Does sanding them down really work?

Sanding 'em down to diffuse them, especially with nice coarse sandpaper will help TREMENDOUSLY.
However, it's still far from perfect.

Worth a shot though!

Oh, by the way.
This
TWO THINGS OF NOTE!
1) There isn't a problem with the screen!
2) Look at the model number. "AGS-001" That SP has the CORRECT frontlight.
If you get one with a different model number, such as "AGB-101", it will not work.

Is there anything else I'll need, or will the 4 diffused LEDs be good enough?
Also, where should I connect the LEDs to get power? It's probably a stupid question, but I don't know anything about the workings of a GBC. (thats why I'm doing a simple mod)

Ah, that's no good. My parents won't allow me to shop on eBay. Yes, I'm 15.

Well...

Good white LEDs will need 4 - 4.5 volts forward voltage to run.
You can find a source of 5 volts off of the regulator board in the CGB.
With only 5 volts, you'll need to wire all 4 LEDs in Parallel.
Each one will need a resistor in line with it, in this case, very little.
A 10 Ohm (that's Brown_Black_Black_XXX) will do just fine.

Also, a GBA SP frontlight will consume roughly 0.3% more power than a stock CGB.
Meaning a difference in play time of minutes.

Well, for yours?
39 Ohms will do fine, so Orange_Gray_Black_X.

X is tolerance, and MOST of the time, it'll be Gold.
And I do mean most of the time.

Using 4 LEDs won't work at all. It won't light the screen up, it'll just shine in your eyes. I'm not using hyperbole.

To power the LEDs, though, off topic, the little daughterboard on the front provides 18V, which you can use a 5.2K resistor for to get a usable voltage. That's how I used 4 LEDs in series in my Game Boy Pocket backlight (almost identical motherboards)

Bibin said:
Using 4 LEDs won't work at all. It won't light the screen up, it'll just shine in your eyes. I'm not using hyperbole.
I guess I'm just stupidly stubborn; I'm going ahead with it anyway.

Bibin said:
To power the LEDs, though, off topic, the little daughterboard on the front provides 18V, which you can use a 5.2K resistor for to get a usable voltage. That's how I used 4 LEDs in series in my Game Boy Pocket backlight (almost identical motherboards)
Can you show me an image of some sort of this?

N00BModdr said:
Bibin said:
I guess I'm just stupidly stubborn; I'm going ahead with it anyway.
I tried this, it's extremely awful. You can't even see the screen! Definately get a GBASP frontlight panel, it looks really good! (I've done it :D )

Back