GBC Mod

Hmm...looks like I'll have to find a broken SP, and do it that way.
Thank you everyone for all the help. :thumb:

EDIT: It would still be nice if I could get an image of the power source bibin was talking about...

I changed my mind again. I'm going for the LED thing! :pervert:
Another question: couldn't I just connect the LEDs to the terminals on the GBC motherboard?(above and below the a and b buttons)
frontsmall.jpg

N00BModdr said:
I changed my mind again. I'm going for the LED thing! :pervert:
Another question: couldn't I just connect the LEDs to the terminals on the GBC motherboard?(above and below the a and b buttons)
frontsmall.jpg

No. Then they will be on all the time.

If you're going to do it in parallel, look at the top-left of that picture. There is a little square board.

On the left side of that square board, there is a pin labeled GND and above it one labeled VCC. VCC provides 3V when the GBC is turned on, so if you are going to pull 3V that's where.

On the right side, you should see VDD (5V) VEE and VFF, which are different voltages. On the GB Pocket, VEE is 18V, and I think one of them is 18V on the GBC too. Use a multimeter to test around.

I just checked, and the second-to-bottom most pin on the right side provides 12V, which is perfect for four white LEDs in series.

What if I add a switch to turn the LEDs off an on at will? I want to be able to turn the light off if I don't need it. The terminals would work right? Or can I do it the way you said, except with a switch?

If you wire them in parallel off of the battery terminals you could use a switch to turn them on and off yes. Of course, you'd need 4 resistors. What voltage are your LEDs? 3v LEDs you wouldn't need resistors I guess. You would probably want a SPST or SPDT switch to do that.

Do not use the Dang terminals! That way the light might be on even if the GBC is off. By using the VCC and GND I told you about, it's exactly the same but it goes off with the switch. You can install a light switch this way. If you use the terminals, you also can't use external power.

N00BModdr said:
Ok, I'll do it your way then, Bibin. My LEDs are 3.3v. Will I need resistors?
No resistors, the LEDs should work perfectly if you use the second-from-bottom pin on the right side of that board, as that's 12V, which is very close to the 13.2 volts your LEDs would need. It's not like your light will work for your GBC, but they'll light up.

For reference, this is with one LED.

comparison.jpg

Sorry, but just slapping LEDs in there won't work. :facepalm:

Dsi!? AWESOME!!! And, N00Bmoddr, Bibin is correct, if you just put them in there, nothing will happen. It's like when I was trying to backlight my DMG, but I didn't scrape off the silver backing. :oops: All I saw was a really bright LED and no picture. The same thing will happen with yours because there is nothing spreading the light out equally.

jleemero said:
N00BModdr said:
the way I want to do it is with LEDs. (Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated)
You can, yes.
If you plan on really being able to see the screen at all though, and not just blinding light ...

Oh, hey, look, the first reply to this thread.

Ok! I got it! Just LEDs won't work. Can I use LEDs and something else, to help distribute the light so I can see the screen image?
For instance, didn't you use a diffuser panel on that GBC, Bibin?

N00BModdr said:
Ok! I got it! Just LEDs won't work. Can I use LEDs and something else, to help distribute the light so I can see the screen image?
For instance, didn't you use a diffuser panel on that GBC, Bibin?

Nope, I just took the plastic piece from a GBASP, as it has small grooves in it that direct the light evenly. You won't need a light bar if you have 4 LEDs, just the piece of plastic to carry it around the LCD. You will need AR film to put on the LCD so it doesn't wash out the colors, though!

Back