APPLE 27TH OF JAN. DEMO

Anyone who does not see the innovation in the technology is clearly ignorant.

Of course it's not like a laptop. It's not a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing laptop.

Quit being so jealous that you're too poor to buy one.

I can't wait to order mine, I'm on the e-mail list.

PalmerTech said:
I could argue that since nobody could ever fit a netbook in their pocket
I have actually fit my brother's netbook in the side pocket of some camo pants I have. Impractical, yes. Possible, very yes.
I have already expressed my views of the iPad on BH.

Also, though I have finally made an account here, don't expect to see me here much.

Amper, getting a bit harsh there.

I'm buying one as well, I'm absolutely certain I'll have the money, so I'll be getting one at launch.

I have a feeling this type of device will change things a ton.

Like at school, you could use the notes app to take notes.

Apple could probably include some form of teacher control in a future OS update, so teacher's could lock their students into using one app, probably notes or the like.

Someday, (someday), these things could become very mainstream around that kind of environment.

I'd sure rather use the ipad to take notes, even writing with a stylus, than a friggin notebook.

Imagine not having to carry books around with you at school: Just a small bag with an ipad in it, and that's it.

Someday maybe.

That is not farfetched at all, one of the main highlights of the keynote was their partnerships with ALL of the major textbook producers in the US.

You know those ten massive textbooks you have to carry around? That cost $100+ each? If I can get them for $50 each on the tablet, consider me sold.

This is a product which some people need (Small group), want (large group) and do not want. Just because you do not need/want it does not mean other people do not.

Really, it is nothing new. It is an evolutionary product, not a revolutionary one.

Yeah, Adobe has announced they are working on it. They already have some beta ARM compatible builds out, just nothing stable enough for Apple to officially support.

PalmerTech said:
Really, it is nothing new. It is an evolutionary product, not a revolutionary one.

+1

But since it's Apple, people will rush out and buy it.

βeta said:
Linking finally. iPhone too, I'm sure?

Yeah, but it is very likely they will limit the update to the 3g ipod touch and iPhone 3GS. The main problem is that Flash eats up so, so, so much battery life and CPU power on a handheld, but the new A8 based CPU will allow for reliable playback. Adding Flash to the original iPod touch, especially with their by now aging batteries, would work terrible. And Apple wants everything to be perfect and seamless, with no complaints from consumers, so I doubt it comes to anything without the new A8.

βeta said:
Seems likely. iPad Jailbreak ETA? 90 days?
Since iPad's os seems to be 90%-95% iPhone OS. I give it a month after the consumer gets it in their hands before it's jailbroken.

I dunno dude. That thing looks pretty badass.

My only problem is the fact that they used the iPhone OS. I'm not really big on the iPhone's GUI.
Maybe in the future it could be hacked to run Android.

Android on that thing would be WIN.

I am not so optimistic on a jailbreak... The reason so much effort was put into it was that people could switch to T-Mobile or other providers.

The iPad, on the other hand, uses MicroSIM cards. As no cell providers other than AT&T currently offer them, it is a moot point.

PalmerTech said:
The iPad, on the other hand, uses MicroSIM cards. As no cell providers other than AT&T currently offer them, it is a moot point.
T-Mobile does.
Why does everyone forget this?

Because T-Mobile does not currently offer MicroSIM cards that will work with the iPad GSM freqs.

I'm not saying anyone who doesn't like the iPad is ignorant - that's fine, you can dislike it for whatever reason.

But Apple is known for their innovation, and they aren't disappointing with the iPad. Anyone who doesn't see that is, however, ignorant.
AfroLH said:
Android on that thing would be WIN.
I agree, if Android ran on the iPad it'd be awesome. But the OS on the iPad is fairly win, given that the processor was built specifically for it. No slowdowns, no freezeups.

Also, the iPad doesn't satisfy my inner geek like I'm sure it doesn't for you either. But Apple isn't aiming at the geek population. They want to get these into the average home. With simple, intuitive design, and a low price point, I think they'll achieve that.

Sure, I would've liked OLED and HDMI out. But those would raise the price point. And anyways, the average person doesn't even know what either of those are.

So calm your inner geek down for a second, and look at the iPad as a common consumer product aimed at the average Joe.

PalmerTech said:
I am not so optimistic on a jailbreak... The reason so much effort was put into it was that people could switch to T-Mobile or other providers.

I heard that data plans will be available on AT&T and T-Mobile, and hopefully Verizon if they switch to the GSM and SIM standard.

Back