APPLE 27TH OF JAN. DEMO

robm said:
I have no need for email/internet capability on a phone. That's why I have a laptop. Or a desktop.

robm said:
Texting is the devil, and hideously rude.

The NEED for mobile internet on a phone is iffy at best, I'll give that a "want" instead of a "need" for most people.

It's a losing argument though. The apparent coolness and pseudo-geek attraction is just too strong. :(

:awesome:
Quoted for truth.

I don't consider texting rude as long as you're not interrupting a conversation with someone else to do it. I actually find it a convenient way to communicate since I dislike actually talking on the phone for the most part.

Mobile internet access is also convenient for me because, you know, it's really impractical to drag a laptop with you everywhere when you're out grocery shopping or something, plus you have to have Wifi to use the internet on a laptop. With mobile internet, instant messaging is a convenient way to communicate with friends I otherwise can't communicate with for various reasons. I can also use Google if I need a quick answer to a question (I've curbed a few impulse buys by looking stuff up on Google and finding reviews for it), and I can watch YouTube videos as well. It may not be a real "need," but I'm really happy I have it.

Also, TW texted me earlier to my computer, waiting to go into a movie. This is not possible by calling, or laptop.

For the most part, I agree with you, Robm. My actual phone is a Sprint Katana, cost me $30 used and unlocked on eBay. :p I just like the iPhone a lot, and I don't want people pushing the stock down. ;) No way can I justify the price, though.

I like Apple. I have an iPhone 3G. I have a MacBook the cost $850, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB Harddrive, new battery, Adobe CS4, iLife 09, and a bunch of other software. It was a better deal than most new computers these days.

Hehe, I actually have a Katana just laying around here, come to think of it.

Seemed like a nice enough phone, it's not unlocked though so I can't use it with my AT&T simcard.

TBH, for as much of an electronic geek as I am, I just have certain issues with some social aspects to modern cell phone usage. I hate it when people come up to my counter, talking on their cell phone, or worse texting, and don't even look up as they come up and then make you wait until they're done... and it always seems like there's a line behind them. Even worse is when I'm talking to one of my friends or family and mid-stride they pull out their cell phone and start tapping away at the keypad. This has made me seriously consider homicide on several occasions :awesome: . I have an almost ten-year-old cell phone because quite frankly, as I'm required to have one for my job, I prefer the LEAST amount of accessibility - let them call me, I'll answer or call them right back. I don't want to pick up my phone and see a text from one of my employees that says, "OMG wat do i do k c u latr" I would probably tell them to get the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* out of my store.

Naturally, almost none of that is specific to Apple, so now we're way off topic.

Point is, Apple inflates the "importance" of these features and seems to me to be manipulative in their approach, which is then made worse by people loving them. Which is OK. I just hate them.

And secretly, I know that I would fall into the deep dark hole of texting/mobile internet were I ever to let myself do so.

robm said:
TBH, for as much of an electronic geek as I am, I just have certain issues with some social aspects to modern cell phone usage. I hate it when people come up to my counter, talking on their cell phone, or worse texting, and don't even look up as they come up and then make you wait until they're done... and it always seems like there's a line behind them. Even worse is when I'm talking to one of my friends or family and mid-stride they pull out their cell phone and start tapping away at the keypad. This has made me seriously consider homicide on several occasions :awesome: . I have an almost ten-year-old cell phone because quite frankly, as I'm required to have one for my job, I prefer the LEAST amount of accessibility - let them call me, I'll answer or call them right back. I don't want to pick up my phone and see a text from one of my employees that says, "OMG wat do i do k c u latr" I would probably tell them to get the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* out of my store.
People do that to you? Those are rude mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ers.

What bothers me about text messages is the lack of grammar. About half the time with my friends I have to say "Can you repeat that in English?". It's really not that hard to punctuate and make a grammatical text message, and it only takes about 10 extra seconds to do that.

Anyway, the Apple Demo is today, so let's expect to hear some overpriced flax! :dah:

Apparently cell phone providers are trying to charge people for receiving texts here. Which is bullflax, because unlike a call you can't reject it. You just receive it and pay for it. Also, it really bugs me when people text and they are like 2 feet away.

We get charged for receiving here.

Texting without a contract is prohibitively expensive, it's like 10 cents a text under my pre-paid plan.

Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

I actually agree with you again, robm. I did not get facebook till I had to, and my phone is generally off, and I have all text messages blocked. I hate people being able to bug me all the time. :p

That is why I love forums, asynchronous communication. You can talk to me, then I can respond at my leisure, days or weeks afterwards. So cool.

Nope, with a 1ghz processor and iphone os, definitely not a mac lol.

More of an in between.

$500 is far lower a price than I was expecting anyway.

I'll be coming into some money soon, I may even be able to get one at launch.

Did they ever release a launch date, or is it still march rumors?

Will not work. Not only will it take a long, long time for the spare parts market to make these (Those IPS displays are EXPENSIVE, and only Apple has them on contract), but most broken units will be repaired by apple, not sold on ebay.

Back