Nintendo64/Gameboy advance

What is left to do:
1. hook up RBG to my screen 5m
2. hook up converter takes like- 5minutes
4. Lastly, hook up controller- A couple of hours
5. hook up GBA sound- 3minutes
6. Relocate GBA cart slot- 2.5 hours

I have to say my estimated times are way way off.
1. done, plus I added wires to socket 2- 9 and 10 for right and left audio
6. I am 25% done relocating the cart- I also, had to fix it because some of the pins were cut short
I wired up two power indicators
I check to see if my GBA was alright after getting 7v from the converter and it turned on
I finished LED moding the screen and dremeled off the top part of the screen
Some small things like taking out un-used wiring that was left over from adding RBG and taking out composite

I am charging the batteries and tomorrow I will see if the N64 still works. The battery voltage must be going somewhere so, I hope it didn't do anything to the N64. Also, the screen should light up and turn on displaying picture and volume.

I check the my work and nothing works.

Update 9/18/09:LED problem solved you can't do it in series or a set of two because thats two much voltage, so I just gave each of them there own power source.
First, the LED don't light up. I have no clue why not. But, I hooked up one wire to the regulator added a 33ohm resistor and hooked it up to one LED. Then, took another wire hooked it up to the same LED and added a 33ohm resistor. Then added a wire to the resistor to the second LED. ECt. Finally, the last strand went to ground. I am pretty sure this is how you LED mod a screen. So, pretty much in a series.

Second, nothing shows up on the screen. I soldered RBG, and c-sync from the N64 to the screen. Isn't that all you have to give RBG to the screen?

Also, there is a 5v spot next to the RBG connections should I add 5v to that area for RBG and 3.3v to the 3.3v line for composite?

I also, hear a ticking sound that goes tick tick tick tick etc. Maybe that will help.

9/18/09 Update:Battery fixed just took of the glue and it seemed to stop going down. No glue why probably moved a wire while peeling it off.
Update: I have all the GBA cart wired up I will solder it to the GBA once I know how long the wire exactly needs to be.
I just started working on the controller, which is the last main part and then I am done wiring
Once the battery is at 8.4v I will set power indicators up and fix screen/LED
I just checked the battery and it has been at 8.28v for many hours so, my wiring is bad and voltage is getting through.

update: My battery started loosening life again, but I fixed it today. THe problem was the way the LED lights were connected to the main power
Update: In, about 30minutes I will work on connecting the controller to the N64 and GBA.

question:The n64 and GBA controls have to be serperate from each other. So, Bacteriea said to use a switch on each of the areas that have duplication. So, there would be a two switches for the d-pad. One pole out of the four for each d-pad button. Can't I just use the ground instead of getting a switch over each the left, right, up and down buttons. Since, all the grounds are connected? This would save me 1.5 poles.

update: finished soldering the GBA cartslot onto the GBA
Update: Added a 8.00 oscillating crystal to my GBA to speed it up 100%

question: does anyone know if you can add a 12.000 oscillating crystal. I know 16 will kill it.

pretty big update

Update: I got my fan to stay on the whole time before I would have to place it a this perfect location or it wouldn't turn on
THe fan makes the system so, cold. I had my hand under the fan and my hand started to get super cold.
Update: I pretty sure my power lose is gone
Update: I did some controller wiring
Update: I found another gameboy advance and will be hooking it up soon
Update: I tried a 12.00 oscilatting crystal and the gameboy advance doesn't even take it into a count. It will play as normal, but then I switched back a 8.00 and it spead up again.

Also, I thought I my Nintendo 64 broke becasue I had it running for 1 hour off and on trying to find the problem and the IC chip got pretty hot so, I thought it burnt. BUt it still runs perfect.

I believe I know the problem with my screen why its not showing composite. After, it started to smoke one other time the regulator started giveing the screen to much voltage and the composite wouldn't turn on. Well, I checked my regulator and its giving the screen circuit board like 6.5v, 1.5v more then the regulator should be giving. So, my regulator got damaged, after the screen started smoked. I will be buying another regulator to test this theory.

Over this next week I will add the controller/ fix the gameboy advance up
and make my clay molding

Update: got a new GBA soldered the wires to it and it didn't work. So, now I desoldered the wire leading to the GBA cart slot and I am using the new one.

I thick thats the issue because when I was previously soldering wires to the GBA cartslot I melted the plastic tons of times and the soldering was a pretty bad job. So, I will probably do half of the cart slot relocation later on, after homework.

Update: I just started on my GBA cart relocation and I want to do this perfect so, it will take at least 4 hours for all thirty wires. Around 4ish minutes per wire to extend to correct length, shrink heat sink, lay solder on each, and then solder wire on. The soldering iron I have is larger than the actual pin. So, getting solder on one pin without connection two pins together is very tough and once I do this I have to burn some of the plastic which makes it look very bad. I have done three wires so, far. Only 28 left.

Update: half way done with relocating GBA cart 17 out of 31 and each is perfectly done

Tomorrow, I will finish cart and hope its works
I can only spend aobut 2 hours per day with all my homework I get

lol, yeah I have been talking to myself for a long time.

I feel lonely, its like my own person page on the forms.

Its been so, long that most people are probably tired of reading it. But, I hope to be finished really soon.

I would but, I run into so many problems. I have wired up the GBA 2.5 times already and the Nintendo 4 times at least. I have had to redo everything so, many times. Pretty, much ever problem posted on this forum I have experienced.

Update: finished GBA cart slot relocation didn't work, so checked with the meter if they were connected and two wires were. Numbers 31 and 32 which, are the last ones so, not any in the middle were I could mess everything up.

I will fix that tomorrow and check again.

Update: finished GBA cartslot relocation and it works
Update: I did some controller wiring
Update: My converter came today
Update: looking for a screen now

Tomorrow: I will create my mold for vaccum forming

Small update: I just finished two square molds of my design one being .5in and another 2in.
They are pretty symmetrical just need to add some detail and I am done. I spent about 1 hour doing that and maybe 1 hour or so, doing the rest.

Edit: I just finished dremeling the PS1 plastic top for a design. Pretty much I just need to get the corners symmetrical, which will be the hardest.

I will post pictures after, I finish the molding of the case and finish wiring. I won't have any-time to work on the project this week. Not until, friday which I will spend as many hours as I can. I remember the good old days in Junior-High (no homework).

I had like 3 weeks to do these projects, but was lasy and waited to the last week to work one them.

Edit 10/20/09: I did a little more work on my case molding and it should be finished by friday and tomorrow.

I only have like 20 more minutes til my case is done. So, I will let is try thursday and the weekend. Either, I will vaccum form monday or sunday. Whenever the clay gets rock hard.

10/22/09: I will be finishing my case after school on friday. It will take about 15minutes to finish. I will then vacuum form whenever dried.

Also, I will be posting pictures of my case design tomorrow.

How the Heck did you not have any homework in Junior High, that was like 3rd grade for me. I'm in 8th grade and I get 6 hours a night! (sometimes a lot more)

Back