bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP Starlight 64 update 12/05/09 *56K*

Re: THEWISE1'S N64P 2.0 WIP

bacteria said:
One option is to cut about 3/4 up on the traces on the expansion pack, connect wires to all the traces, press the small board into the expansion pack slot and let the rest of the board drop towards the motherboard. Surely this is the easiest solution (taking away the need to mess with the connector connections)?

The slot itself is still pretty tall, though, but not a bad idea... ;)

Bacteria, do you mean cutting most of the traces off and pushing it into the n64? I thought of that but seriously doubted if it would work because the copper connectors wouldn't line up.

thewise1 said:
Bacteria, do you mean cutting most of the traces off and pushing it into the n64? I thought of that but seriously doubted if it would work because the copper connectors wouldn't line up.
He means taking the "connector" part of the jumper pak's pcb and extending wires from that onto the Expansion pak's pcb then just plugging them in like normal.

I think I understand what you are saying but I think the wires would be too long.

thewise1 said:
Alright I've done it 90% successfully, I put two 4 meg ram chips on the n64, and it still works. The only problem is the video is a little messed up. Actually a lot messed up, but the sound is still working and I think you can play it, I didn't try.

The video worked fine before the mod. Now I'm just wondering what can I try to fix it.
How exactly did you do this? Did you stack them? If so, this would have no effect, as it would just make two copies of the RAM, sucking up more power.

spinout said:
thewise1 said:
Alright I've done it 90% successfully, I put two 4 meg ram chips on the n64, and it still works. The only problem is the video is a little messed up. Actually a lot messed up, but the sound is still working and I think you can play it, I didn't try.

The video worked fine before the mod. Now I'm just wondering what can I try to fix it.
How exactly did you do this? Did you stack them? If so, this would have no effect, as it would just make two copies of the RAM, sucking up more power.

He replaced the 2 ram chips with 2 expansion pak ram chips.

I wonder if what I could do is solder to all the large traces and for all the thin ones I Can solder directly to the rcp, or the through hole if it has one. This would almost guarantee no bridging, I could even do that for an expansion pak relocation. But I just really want this one to work so I didn't waist 2 expansion paks and an n64.

thewise1 said:
I wonder if what I could do is solder to all the large traces and for all the thin ones I Can solder directly to the rcp, or the through hole if it has one. This would almost guarantee no bridging, I could even do that for an expansion pak relocation. But I just really want this one to work so I didn't waist 2 expansion paks and an n64.
It actually isn't that difficult. Just rub your iron over the pins, then use braid on the bridges. Just use a very fine pencil tip.

Actually I'm talking about relocating the expansion pak, not replacing the ram. I said rcp when I meant ic, my bad. :dahroll:

thewise1 said:
Actually I'm talking about relocating the expansion pak, not replacing the ram. I said rcp when I meant ic, my bad. :dahroll:
That's even easier. It took me less time to do that then it did to relocate my cart slot. :dah:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yeah I got it working, I re-attached everything and actually used less solder on the ram ic's Now everything is a go.

What I have left to do now is order the screen, battery, controller, and memory pak.

thewise1 said:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yeah I got it working, I re-attached everything and actually used less solder on the ram ic's Now everything is a go.

What I have left to do now is order the screen, battery, controller, and memory pak.
Are you going to have a built-in memory pak? I would, but one of my favorite games (chameleon twist) won't boot with a memory pak in. :(

Yeah it has a built in memory pak now. So I guess I get chalked up to the list of people who have successfully done it.

Bacteria, daftmike, I don't know who else has actually done it.

I have! It's not that hard. I toasted the board's video encoder though. :gonk: SS has done it too I think.

I did it and added a switch on the GND pin (only connected one of 'em) to see if I could disable it to make chameleon twist run. It didn't! :gonk:

Are you talking about the pins in the back? If you are those are just support pins, maybe they're ground but it doesn't matter if you connect them.

I've got some work done on the project box. It's finished except for the paint job. Paint and name are still a secret. None of the components are glued in yet, have to do that after paint.

Front
DSC02411.jpg

Side, for cable.
DSC02412.jpg

Back, composite, audio, and the empty hole is where s video goes.
DSC02413.jpg

thewise1 said:
Are you talking about the pins in the back? If you are those are just support pins, maybe they're ground but it doesn't matter if you connect them.
On the controller pak, I only connected one GND pin with a switch, but the pak was still detected when GND was disconnected.

Re: bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP

bacteria said:
Nice so far, BTW - why did you change your name from thewise1 ?
In a pm said:
Because I'm running from the government! :awesome:

Actually I wanted a name that actually means something and I'm sure that no one else has. I've been trying to figure out a good username to use for everything so now I've got bentomo.

Bennett=My middle name shortened to ben
tomo= japanese suffix that means friend. I like japanese culture.

So bentomo is born.

plus thewise1 in hindsight sounds really narcissistic and lame.
When'd you change your avatar, bacteria?

Re: bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP

@ thewise1:

Dangit, you took my idea for VGA port to a project box.

Around june, I made an adapter for p1 and p2 controller ports for my pnes. I was using a radioshack box, too, but mine is the smaller one.

Great minds think alike, I suppose.

Back