bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP Starlight 64 update 12/05/09 *56K*

Re: bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP Starlight 64 pics video pg 8

Looks like I'll have to call battery space tomorrow because I cannot get this thing working. But I have a new question: I was testing my smart charger and it makes a noise when it's plugged in. It sounds like a small fan actually, and I'm wondering if something wrong with the charger too.

Woohoo it works. After watching bacterias new video on youtube about batteries. (I watch all portabilizing videos) It reminded me that you can charge batteries through the circuit to reboot the circuit. Everythings working now, and the charger doesn't make noise when it's charging. But that doesn't mean I'm not wondering about the charger anymore. Making a noise at all is weird.

ARE YOU SERIOUS??!?!

I can never get it working right. I've got the n64 wired up and the led comes on but I can not get an response. The screen flickers and none of the wires are touching on the relocated jumper pak. None of the wires are more than a CM long, only 2 of them are. I hate the design of the n64 motherboard and that it's so touchy. It will not cooperate.

DSC02428.jpg

DSC02427.jpg

Ugh this thing makes me so angry. My next portable is definitely not going to be an n64.

I shortened the ground wires but still nothing, I can't get the relocation working. Does anyone have a picture of their relocation?

My camera lacks the zoom/ megapixels to get a closeup, but its like daftmike's, just with red wire.

I got rid of it but I'm doing a plain relocation now, just with nothing attached to the unneeded pins.

Can't wait to see this completed, keep up the good work!

Re: bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP Starlight 64 update 11/21/09

**UPDATE** 11/21/09

YES! I finally got it working and it's looking great, I wired the jumper pak one last time and it didn't work, but I did some touching up and the expansion pak chips and it works perfectly now. So now all that's left is to order the screen, led mod it, then the final construction with commence. Here are some pictures of the relocation.
DSC02430.jpg

DSC02431.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

ALMOST THERE! :D

See all updates on first post of page 1

I've also got the whole thing designed so that when the screen is powered off the system can be played and charged at the same time in home mode. The screen has to stay off since the charger won't be able to power the screen and the system at the same time. And so it's not by accident, the switch for the screen MUST be in the off position for it to charge. Pic will explain better.

diagram-1.jpg

This will make sure it's impossible to fry the charger by trying to power everything at once, which it can't do, with the minor inconvenience of having to switch 2 switches to be able to charge the system.

Can you link the 2 switches together, or do they flip opposite ways?

I don't really understand the question, I think you're asking if I could use one switch but no I can't.

It's easy to do for a one switch solution, you can just have a manual kill switch for the screen if you want, making two, but yours is waaay to complex, IMO.

LiPodiagramPNGwin.png

Where it says system, there is your N64 and your screen. Then just a switch on the screens 7.2v line and your done.

SS

The whole idea of it is to be able to charge while the system is on but keep people from forgetting to turn off the screen and fry the charger. Not to switch between charger and power. The charger has enough juice to power the console but not the console and the screen.

Re: bentomo's N64P 2.0 WIP Starlight 64 update 11/21/09 *56K*

I got my screen a couple days ago and have been doing some modding to the minor components. Mostly the controller today. I've got plenty of pics since you guys love them so much.
I've got paper in the joystick to space it from the case until the glue is 100% cooled.
DSC02442.jpg

Inside, there's tape covering the joystick to prevent light leaking.
DSC02451.jpg

Lots of strength in the joystick.
DSC02448.jpg

Back inside
DSC02443.jpg

Back outside
DSC02444.jpg

Controller
DSC02455.jpg

With memory pak (the battery has to be pretty snug to make contact with the wires)
DSC02457.jpg

IDE wire is SO CLEAN! :D
DSC02456.jpg

Looks much better than my original one. Just garbage.

MORE SOON TO COME!! :D

What's the reason for the c-buttons on bottom instead of on top like most N64 controllers?

Not criticizing just wondering :)

I want the most used stuff to be even, that way the trigger buttons are also even. And because the joystick and a+b buttons are used most I made those even. I find it a lot more comfortable.

bentomo said:
I want the most used stuff to be even, that way the trigger buttons are also even. And because the joystick and a+b buttons are used most I made those even. I find it a lot more comfortable.

I agree.

Back