Anyone want to start a review site?

PalmerTech said:
As in, recruit people here to run it, or have the hosting on the modretro domain, as in "review.modretro.com", or something? ;)
THIS! :mrgreen: I suggested reviews.benheck.com too where anyone can submit reviews for approval.

If this pans out as spoken here, I would be willing to be a review manager. I think we should review all things that this group of people would be interested in - such as games, consoles, game/console accessories, tools, materials, etc. All of the modding-type things we all deal with.

Neildo_64 said:
If this pans out as spoken here, I would be willing to be a review manager. I think we should review all things that this group of people would be interested in - such as games, consoles, game/console accessories, tools, materials, etc. All of the modding-type things we all deal with.

Agreed.

Definitely agreed.

But how are we going to do this? Wiki? PHP-based portal? HTML (wow that would be time consuming)?

I think the modretro.com home site bloggity blog type shebang with a search and archive feature would be a good format.

Translation- Like Engadget, but with an archives. (N64 section etc.)

Like engadget, but with categories by console and type of review? (Hardware, games, etc. Each article could be in several categories. For example, SSB 64 would be in the Nintendo, N64, and Game sections.)

Neildo64 wins position of head review manager, congrats. :mrgreen: Anybody else interested in being his minions? I am thinking him as head, with two other people. I think that anybody who wants to review stuff will need to write one review, which will be checked on by myself or Neildo. If you do not totally suck at writing, you will be approved, and get an account on the modretro wordpress. From there, we could either give them free reign to write, or have each article approved, either could work.

Also, I would love for the adhshare idea to be used, but how would we keep track? Give me your ideas, I have one myself, but do not want to influence your creativity. :lol: I am glad you guys are enthusiastic, one of the good things about here vs the benheck forums is that I can throw something together pretty fast, as opposed to having to ask the other mods, talk about it, ask Ben, get everything ready, and then implement the idea. ;)

Also, PMwiki would work, but why not use wordpress? It seems like it would work fine, and would be good at attracting traffic in general.

By the way, guys, we may just combine reviews.modretro.com with modretro.com, as the writers could also write about mods on the forums, elsewhere on the net, and general tech news. What say you? Bad idea, good idea?

Good idea. We have nothing to put on the main page anyway. We thought about doing something like this with the main page before, this will fit right in.

Put a portal on the main page with a tracker of the latest threads (I've seen them before so I know it's at least theoretically possible). Also a small news section with the latest news, mods and reviews. Then of course link to the forums, and have the reviews directly off of there.

Also, I'd like to volunteer to be one of Neildo's evil minions.

Could i be a minion? I did bring up the idea, and as for ad share, i'm guessing pay them when they get their submission approved. One question: If i become a review mod, can i still write reviews? When do you want my application?

Edit: Another idea we could do is review the newest Portables/mods. You know, constructive criticism.

I'll write a mock review cause I would love to be a minion! :mrgreen:

We should definitely keep the reviews separate from the new and incoming mods. Being a modding site, we should have mods and projects be our first concern, and have reviews be a little more in the background.

We could have newsposts on the main page along the lines of "A new review of <product> has been written by our member <author>. You can view it in the Reviews section or by clicking <link to the review's article>here!</link>!"

The same could apply to the modification articles. The main page should be all news, that way it doesn't immediately plunge a new visitor into a mess of mods and whatnot. Clear, visible links to the "Reviews" and "Mods" pages should be visible on the main page, of course. Oh, and the forums.

Yes, and the reviews and mods should be kept separate, assuming we put them on the site instead of linking to forum threads.

@ yoshilime: I don't think it would be a problem if the review managers write reviews. I mean who would make better reviews than the managers? ;)

@ palmertech: Well thanks!

I'd write up a review of my Intec Wii Screen, but I didn't take any pictures before I modded it.

Also, I like Caredo's idea for the front page. Major mods and reviews for sure. Then of course have links to the forums and an index of reviews. We should catagorize stuff by console, with a few other sections, and they can overlap and be in more than one catagory.

EG: PS1 Screen would be in the Playstation and Screens catagory.
EG2: Nintendo 64 would be in the Nintendo 64 and Consoles catagory.
EG3: Logitech Dual Action Gamepad would be in the Accessories and the PC catagories. (will there be a PC section? I have a lot of PC games here)

So, I think we should FOCUS on video games, but also review modding stuff and nerdy gadgets.

Also, I volunteered to be an evil minion, but I guess that's not going to happen. Oh well, I can just flood you with reviews.

EDIT: We could also split stuff up even more, having sections for hardware/accessories and games for each console. Then of course the Screens, Tools, Gadgets, and maybe other sections.

Back