E3 2012

The E3 podcast is what killed the podcast. Also, there was the fact that nobody listened to it.

I'd be willing to host and edit something though, if there's interest. Also, if there are topics. Preferably topics that other people come up with.

samjc3 said:
said:
THEY LEFT THE STORY HANGING Dangit :C
But the story was the worst part of the game. I want more so I can have more robust gameplay and sexy cityscapes.

Also want news on the Last Guardian.
Yeah, it started out with a fun premise and quickly became a spaghetti.

Gameplay and visuals were pretty darn neat though.

wiiutabletredesignheader.jpg

Wii u controller redesigned. Some changes in store for e3?

supposedly the controller is really light though, to make up for the lost support in the widened grip.

Nintendo needs to hire me so I can show them how to make a good controller. It took them an entire redesign to figure out that analogue sticks were better than sliders.

That was a leaked picture from the QA department at the company that makes the Lego Star Wars games. There's no indication on how old that QA model is, or how different what they'll show at E3 will be.

Twilight Wolf said:
That is the biggest cluster*Can'tSayThisOnTV* of a controller I have ever seen.
How so? It's pretty much the same as the last model but with full analogs and the start and select buttons were relocated to the right instead of under the screen (huge improvement imo).

Metroid fusion saga/starfox game?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

That better be a freaking rumor. UGH, I DO NOT want a blend of those two titles. They should be separate. Thats my feeling anyway.

I wish Nintendo would stop pretending that Starfox isn't just a really below-average space shooter, they seem to make a big focal point about it and the only reason people even wanted Starfox 3D is because the 3DS had no games.

Zero said:
Twilight Wolf said:
That is the biggest cluster*Can'tSayThisOnTV* of a controller I have ever seen.
How so? It's pretty much the same as the last model but with full analogs and the start and select buttons were relocated to the right instead of under the screen (huge improvement imo).

I've always thought it looked like a convoluted piece of Satan, right from the beginning. I like that they're trying to go for a more traditional control scheme with the actual buttons and sticks, but... a screen? A mic? Speakers? And who knows what else, plus a tilt/motion sensor on top of all that? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the Xbox 360/PS3 gamepads are just about right. I think Nintendo is very rapidly surpassing the point of diminishing returns in terms of how useful that thing's actually gonna be -- unless they keep their flax together it's gonna be the Wii all over again, with loads upon loads of shovelware that's just gimicky and not actually taking advantage of the system's capabilities. Don't forget too, it'll probably be expensive as flax if you want to buy extras for multiplayer games -- I can't imagine anything with that much crap attached to it being anywhere near as affordable as a typical gamepad. Not to mention the battery life! All that flax needs to be powered by something, so battery life is either gonna be terrible having to support all that at once, or it'll be fantastic, at an increased price. It's very hard to have both in a device like that.

I would much rather see the WiiU use a traditional gamepad and support Wii controllers instead of this insanity. That way developers would have to focus on making GAMES and not using the shiny new controller and all its shiny features. That's what was wrong with the Wii -- too much focus on the controller, not enough on the games. Helloooooooo shovelware.

I have my suspicions that the recently leaked Wii U controller is an earlier model than the one we saw at E3 last year.

As for the stick v. slider, I'll trust Nintendo on their decision. I've read that the sliders on the Wii U tablet were better than the ones on the 3DS and that they're very accurate. And frankly, I imagine with a controller of that design that the sliders may feel more natural than an analog stick.

Twilight Wolf said:
I would much rather see the WiiU use a and support A controllers rather than this insanity. That way developers would have to focus on making GAMES and not using the shiny new controller and all its shiny features. That's what was wrong with the Wii -- too much focus on the controller, not enough on the games. Helloooooooo shovelware.

THIS

IIRC, the gamecube didn't do amazingly well as a system. Perhaps this motivated Nintendo to "think outside the box" leading to the standout-ness of the Wii.

Is Nintendo somehow realizing that their lack of strong 3rd party support ultimately makes them inferior to Sony and Microsoft? Are they accepting the truth that without these gimicky, shiny new toys, they would have to soley rely on their 1st party titles and the occasional 3rd party risk taker?

Honestly, I'm a nintendo-fanboy and I don't necesserily think Nintendo is inferior to the other game companies. But the new controller scheming is getting annoying. When I play games, I really don't care about the controller. Its cool for like, 5 minutes, and then I start to focus on the game. Skyward Sword was the coolest with the Wiimote, but EVEN with that game, I focused more on the gameplay after an hour.

Imagine if nintendo focused ALL their resources on game content, strong new system hardware, and kept the best controller layout possible, making improvements from the gamecube controller. The WiiU will grow on me, but I'm going to hate it for a good couple years...

Twilight Wolf said:
I've always thought it looked like a convoluted piece of Satan, right from the beginning. I like that they're trying to go for a more traditional control scheme with the actual buttons and sticks, but... a screen? A mic? Speakers? And who knows what else, plus a tilt/motion sensor on top of all that? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the Xbox 360/PS3 gamepads are just about right. I think Nintendo is very rapidly surpassing the point of diminishing returns in terms of how useful that thing's actually gonna be -- unless they keep their flax together it's gonna be the Wii all over again, with loads upon loads of shovelware that's just gimicky and not actually taking advantage of the system's capabilities. Don't forget too, it'll probably be expensive as flax if you want to buy extras for multiplayer games -- I can't imagine anything with that much crap attached to it being anywhere near as affordable as a typical gamepad. Not to mention the battery life! All that flax needs to be powered by something, so battery life is either gonna be terrible having to support all that at once, or it'll be fantastic, at an increased price. It's very hard to have both in a device like that.

I would much rather see the WiiU use a traditional gamepad and support Wii controllers instead of this insanity. That way developers would have to focus on making GAMES and not using the shiny new controller and all its shiny features. That's what was wrong with the Wii -- too much focus on the controller, not enough on the games. Helloooooooo shovelware.

Understandable, but your entire argument is based on the assumption that this will be the only controller. As I understand it, the idea this time around for them is variety in control schemes. Devs WILL be able to use the other controllers, and it should be heavily encouraged (if I was them I'd make it Dang near mandatory). In the end users will be able to choose between the tablet controller, wii remote, or the CC/CC Pro. I would also be pretty shocked if they didn't make a tweaked wireless CCPro with triggers and L3/R3 buttons (except for those things, the CCPro is pretty much the nicest modern controller available). Ideally, they would include this in the box so there is no reason that all games can not support both. In fact, I don't see some of the games announced working all that well without one.

Obviously they know what the major complaints with the Wii were, and what they've shown so far with the Nintendo Network and such shows they are trying to make improvements and cater to the "hardcore" crowd, so let them announce their plans at E3 before you blindly call shovelware.

Microsoft will indeed be pushing kinect.

Sony will be relaxed, I'm assuming they'll push new features with vita and games since right now my vita is collecting dust

For Nintendo, this should be big. They will deffinetly not mention a 3DS lite, but will be showing 3D games. Not only that, but I can't wait for some WiiU information.

I think the idea behind the wiiu controller is similar to what they had in mind for the game cube / game boy advanced , some game cube games can use the gba as a controller using a link cable, Zelda four swords for instance, you have 1 main screen (the tv) and a sub screen for the individual players (the gba) to run off and do there own thing in private, only down side is the gba was not a fully functional controller like the game cube controllers for more in-depth games. so the wiiu controller is probably a little more ideal for that type of stuff, and there will probably be slandered controllers without the screen as well. I like the idea of having a controller to use verses the wii-motes.

If it's designed to act like the ds, with the screen on the controller used for inventory, minimaps, minigames, etc... I see it working rather well. Add in a backwards compatibility mode that lets you play Wii and GC games on the controller, subbing touch for wiimote pointing, and you could have a pretty cool wvi hanging around.

ttsgeb said:
Add in a backwards compatibility mode that lets you play Wii and GC games on the controller, subbing touch for wiimote pointing, and you could have a pretty cool wvi hanging around.

WiiU sadly will not be gamecube compatible.

Back