YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

XCVG said:
Not really. The cheapest I've seen a PS1 screen is $40 or so, plus (probably insane) shipping. A DX screen is about $50 with free shipping. I guess the gap is pretty small, just a matter of finding a PS1 screen. I'm not sure a PS1 screen will fit without major cutting, though.
you can find the zenith xbox screens on ebay for 43 shipped, it has all the same guts on the inside.

I've seen cheaper screens, but because I live in Canada the shipping usually ends up anywhere from $20-$30. Enough about that though, I'm not sure a PS1 screen will fit anyway without major cutting.

I'll probably get some money when Christmas rolls around, which will go either to this, a CMVS project, or most likely something else entirely.

Anyway, I'm going to resurrect an old design sketch:
YAP64V2A.PNG

There will be some changes, of course. The LOB64 port is going out the window. I'll probably use a VGA-style connector instead, or maybe just put all the ports on, but probably not because multiplayer is going out the window too. I'll build a little box for home use. FPS mode will still be there, with two XBOX sticks probably. The battery will probably be external or at least removable for charging. Either a PS1 screen or a 3.5" DX screen will be used. Got to make a new design sketch.

Don't worry, I'll finish this, it's just a matter of when.

What is the button on top?
What are the switches on the bottom?
Why is the right analog so tiny?

βeta said:
What is the button on top?
It's actually a headphone jack, I think. I don't really remember, I drew this a long time ago.
What are the switches on the bottom?
Power, FPS mode, battery/wall, etc.
Why is the right analog so tiny?
It was originally intended to use a PSP stick when I drew it.

Well, I was trying to figure out a case again, because I'm too cheap to buy a ZN-40/45 and it's been overdone. So I decided to look at a PC game case again. For those who do not know what it is, it's like a DVD case but about 3 times thicker. PC games used to come in huge boxes that you would throw out, then in smaller, nicer sized boxes. Inside were pouches or jewel cases. And cheap games came in plain jewel cases. These newer cases are nice but they are huge and a pain in the ass to store, plus muti-disc games just have the discs stacked which makes me a bit nervous. I guess they went with these because of multi-disc games that wouldn't fit in a standard DVD case, thankfully games are starting to come mostly on DVD now. There's more manual room too I think.

gamecase.jpg

gamecaseboard.jpg

gamecaseopen.jpg

Anyway, the dimensions are about 7.5"X5.25"X1". Probably too small, but it might fit. An untrimmed N64 board just BARELY fits in there. An experienced portabilizer could probably do it, but I don't know if I can. Fitting controls in would be a challenge, and I would use a 3.5" screen, not a PSone screen. And then there's the problem of getting the two halves together. Oh well, thought I would post. Maybe useful for those looking for a case for a NESp?

EDIT: What about an AG-85? Could you fit an N64p in there?

Broke down and ordered some cases from Polycase. Bought an AG-85 and a ZN-40 just in case (pun not intended). Also, got an extra AG-85 in case I wreck one because most of the cost is shipping anyway.

zeturi said:
Cool. Are you using slim analog sticks, then?

Whaddaya mean by slim? I have to get it in my hand to see how slim I need to be. If they fit I'm going to use XBOX sticks, because I have some. If not, well, I'll figure something out. No PSP sliders though. I hate those pieces of crap.

No, I meant the shorter analog sticks that you can get out of retrocon controllers. Note that the 1.75 thickness of the AG-85 will only be for the bump in the back, not the edges. You might still be able to squeeze regular sticks in, the only reason I asked is because I think snowpenguin was having trouble fitting everything into his AG-85.

Well, cases arrived today. First off, UPS charged like $15 just in brokerage fees, the actual duties and taxes were really small. Jerks

On to the cases themselves. There's good news and there's bad news. The bad news is that the AG-85 is probably too small. I can just BARELY squeeze an N64 board with a bit of trimming, and not where I want it either. I doubt I'll be able to fit everything I need in there. The good news is that the ZN-40 isn't that big so I can probably use that. I really need to develop a sense of scale.

A bit of a status update for you. Right now I have the controller, case, board and batteries. I still need a screen and some heatsinks. An expansion pak would be nice too, but I can't seem to find one at a decent price. I should be getting a screen soon.

For the heatsinks, I plan on milling the heat blocks into proper-ish heatsinks. There's a milling machine at school and I actually know how to use it now. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to drop $5 on a junked video card.

I scored pretty good on batteries. I got two Optex brand BP-522 compatibles on super sale. These are 3000mAH, 7.4V batteries that normally sell for about $80 highly upcharged Canadian dollars. I got them REALLY cheap. These are quality batteries. I opened one up today. It wasn't that hard. First I poked at the case with a screwdriver, which seemed to break the glue. Then I carefully pried it open. These batteries are made in the USA, and I was like "Bah, it's probably all Chinese components". I was pleasantly surprised. Inside are four Panasonic cells, made in Japan. There's also a standard protection circuit, not some weird stuff I was afraid I might find. Here are some pictures.

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to start soon. Probably going to... uh, borrow some plastic from school for the back piece where the batteries and cart slot will go.

But wait, there's more! I have a question (or several). I plan on using both batteries in parallel. Should I connect all the cells to one protection circuit, or connect the two protection circuit outputs together? Are they safe to charge together? Can I ghetto-charge it with a PS2 Slim PSU (8.5V)?

Just use both of them because they're tiny. It should work the same. Well, at least I think mine are working right together :confused:

Got a quick battery question. Could I charge my batteries with a PS2 slim PSU (8.5V, almost perfect)? Safe, unsafe, or won't work at all?

MOAR QUESTIONS!

My PS2 power supply is rated for 5.5A or so. Does this mean that it will charge at this rate? If so, is there a way to limit it? I want to be able to play and charge from one source. Is there some sort of PCB-like device that will let me do so in a safer way?

XCVG, did a charger come with those batteries?
If so, use that.

If not, get one.
Protection circuits built into batteries prevent them from shorts and from being drained too much. If you try to charge them with just the protection circuit, they will charge, but if you charge them too far they will explode.

Get a proper charger.
For the sake of money and safety. :gonk:

Back