YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

I bought them really cheap out of a discount bin. No charger.

The problem with using a charger is that now I have to put in a charge and a power jack. Is there some sort of device I can put in-line that would stop the batteries from exploding. Isn't that what the protection circuit is supposed to do? (I can understand why it wouldn't, sorta)

Argelfraster said:
XCVG said:
Is there some sort of device I can put in-line that would stop the batteries from exploding.
Yes, that would be the protection circuit.
That.

And nope, that's basically all a protection circuit does.

Anyone have the circuit from a DVD player battery? I heard that those can do what I want. Or does anyone know of a really beefy charger that can power my portable too?

Okay, in theory if I just started slamming power into the batteries, what would happen?

They would charge, but if they charged too fast they would explode, and if you charged them past 8.4v they would explode.

Yes, that protection circuit will work. Usually, the telltale sign of a protection circuit is that copper-wound toroid.

You know those batteries that plug into a DVD player? Will one of those work? Or is a DVD player replacement battery a better bet?

ANSWER MAH QUESTIONZ!

Seriously though, I would like some input before I go out and impulse-buy a battery.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
I got two 4250mAh batteries you can have for 25$ you just need a protection circuit

:facepalm:

In case you weren't reading, I have batteries. I just need a special combo charge+protection circuit.

zeturi said:
XCVG, what does YAP stand for? Your Awesome Portable?

Yet Another Portable N64

Because there's so many out there.

Bought a battery, should be coming in the mail soonish. From the US, let's see if I get ripped off on "brokerage" again.

Bought a Maxell Carabineer Mini Speaker, began to hack it. Film at 11.

EDIT: Disassembly of the mini speaker unit.

carabineer.jpg

In its package. Paid $10 for it, manager's special. Judging by the outdated iPod on the package (they probably had to pay to put it on there) I'd say they want to blow these out because they are old. The speakers are small, maybe too small but this is the closest to what I want I've seen so far. They sound kind of cruddy, but they get pretty loud. I'd rather have quiet and good. The speakers will do, though. It takes 2 AAA batteries and has an amp built in. I can't use it though, you'll find out in a bit. Five screws, one in the battery compartment and one on the grey thingy, hold it together.

carabineer2.jpg

Inside the device. The speakers are small, around an inch in diameter. Now they pulled a dirty trick here. There's two speakers. The cord (which is too short) has a stereo plug. So it's stereo, right? Wrong. The engineers at Maxell seem to have found a better (read: cheaper) way of doing things. The inputs are mixed together, fed through a tiny SMD amp chip. The two speakers are connected in parallel. That also explains the 8 ohm speakers and 4 ohm impedence in the specifications. Mono would be fine for a NES or Atari, or for someone who doesn't really care about audio, but YAP64 needs stereo. Which means I'd better finish building that amp. I'm using the TI chip (forgot the part number) and I might make a PCB for it, but I'll probably just ghetto-freeform it.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder which will get here first- the Dreamcast or the battery. The battery is from the US, and UPS Standard took way longer than 5 business days last time. On the other hand, the Dreamcast is coming out of Manitoba and Canada Post is always really good. The thing is I ordered the Dreamcast like 4 or 5 days after the battery.

Got my battery today. Apparently my dad had to go through a lot of bullflax with UPS. Are they always like that?

USPS is better than UPS, for sure, though.

Also, your screen should arrive sometime in the next 5-8 days.

:awesome:

Also, I think I can do the shoulder buttons without squishy tacts. It'll be bigger, but the whole portable is huge anyway.

Back