YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

I LOVE those controllers though. I have one that I bought new. The stick eventually gave out. :gonk:

eurddrue said:
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU, got ripped off. You got the controller that you can use the dpad and the joystick without moving your hand? Probably about fourteen dollars is the most I'd pay for one. If you want a backup (they ruin easily :neutral2: ) I have them for sale...($9)

I knew I got ripped off, but it's not like I had a choice. I've been trying to get a 3rd party controller for ages now. Also, I've tried it and it's not that great. It would probably be great for smash bros but on most of my games it's no better than a normal controller.

Busy as Heck this week. Making a comic in GMod for English class. Didn't I say I would just draw it last time too?

βeta said:
I LOVE those controllers though. I have one that I bought new. The stick eventually gave out. :gonk:
You want it, I got it. :rofl:

Is this still the overly large laptop design with impossible flanks, or have you improved the design? :p

XCVG said:
I knew I got ripped off, but it's not like I had a choice. I've been trying to get a 3rd party controller for ages now.
Why don't you just buy one off somebody here? Or ask for someone to find one at a flea market or something? Crap, I said "some" three times in one sentence.

Paypal's free, ya know. What's stopping you from making an account? Do you not have a bank account?

You don't have to have a bank account to use paypal. It's just limited in what you can spend a month. And paypal takes a small percentage out of any transaction you make. But that's only when you make a transaction obviously.

Whatever, the thread is derailing. This is about my portable, not my backwards cheapness and eerie unwillingness to buy anything which you've finally found out why.

Might be starting project DSDock soon, as a fun and easy-ish side project. We'll see.

Okay, after a fairly long period of being busy with other things I'm back on track. I've disassembled my Super Pad 64 Plus and it seems promising. The pots are 10K I think, and the outer legs are connected to ground and positive, with each middle leg connected separately to the board. I've disassembled two other controllers but both have soldered-on sticks; going to have to desolder. I've found a switch that I'll use for testing. My plan is to have the outer legs connected and switch the middle ones. No pics yet, sorry, maybe I'll post some later.

Wait, before taking the joystick off could you test it and tell me how the joystick moves? On mine, it's normal when going down and left and really fast going up or right.

Mario said:
Wait, before taking the joystick off could you test it and tell me how the joystick moves? On mine, it's normal when going down and left and really fast going up or right.

I already tested the controller completely (always test before I tear things apart) and it works normally.

Okay, smallish update time. I've soldered up the controller to a switch and XBOX joystick. It works, mostly. The switching function works fine and you can even use it while it is turned on. The original stick works perfectly. But the XBOX stick has issues. It doesn't center quite right all the time and often starts drifting. Usually a bump fixes it. More testing will follow soon.

Also, pics:
originalstick.jpg

Original stick. Quite fancy and very nice. Also, I don't know how it comes out. Probably not going to make it into the final portable.
moddedpad.jpg

The modded pad. It mostly works.

Hey - could you by chance take a digital pic of the other side of the n64 controller in the previous post?

paying particular attention to the circuit board.

I'm planning a new mod and doing some research on the controllers

Many thanks in advance.

mchammer.99 said:
Hey - could you by chance take a digital pic of the other side of the n64 controller in the previous post?

paying particular attention to the circuit board.

I'm planning a new mod and doing some research on the controllers

Many thanks in advance.

Okay, but not right away, because I want to test it some more before I rip the guts completely out.

Well, this project is going to be on hold for a bit. I'm going to be playing with my Arduino and building some robots and stuff. YAP64/2 isn't abandoned, just on the backburner for a while.

GIGANTICAL BUMP!

A little update on this project. I want to finish it. Right now at this point I just want to get it done, as I am trying to cut down my list of unfinished projects. That said, I want to do a good job, and I think I'm going to change my plan drastically. The original plan was a laptop-ish thing with controller wings. The reason for the laptop is to retain some measure of multiplayer ability.

That's going bye-bye. The new plan is as follows:
-ZN-40 or ZN-45 case (sadly, I saw a datamax a while back but didn't buy it)
-relocated cart slot (I feel confident enough to do it now)
-PS1 screen or DX 3.5" screen (the PS1 screen is preferable but I just don't think I can get one at a decent price)
-integrated controller with, dual sticks (probably going to use XBOX sticks, because that's what I have)
-integrated 7.4V battery (probably a camcorder battery from DX)

yap64-3.png

I highly doubt it, but there is a small chance that I'll get a PS1 screen for Christmas.

I explained it earlier.

You switch between the two. It's because of the idiotic 3-prong arrangement. Normally you want the stick in your left hand, but I play GoldenEye and Perfect Dark with the stick in my right. So, in a nutshell, it's because I'm weird like that.

Not really. The cheapest I've seen a PS1 screen is $40 or so, plus (probably insane) shipping. A DX screen is about $50 with free shipping. I guess the gap is pretty small, just a matter of finding a PS1 screen. I'm not sure a PS1 screen will fit without major cutting, though.

Back