YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

Starting to work on it again, hoping to get the board mounted by tomorrow. There are two THIN standoffs I will either hot glue or Mighty Putty in, and the board will screw into them. The board will also have weatherstripping foam under the cart slot and front area to sit on.

So, had a little adventure with my thumb drive (or pen drive, or USB drive, or memory key, or whatever you like to call it). Every time I plug it in, AVG Segaes. So I scan it, and find that it has worms. Dang school computers are full of viruses. Okay, I delete the infections, but it's not over there. The drive won't open now because Windows whines about a file missing. So I open up the U3 smart menu, hoping it will fix it. Nope, still borked, but the explore drive button works. In fact, right click then explore works too. WTF? I search the file on the internet and find out, like I suspected, you just have to remove the drive and plug it in again. So I do so, and it's all good now.

Okay, back to the portable. I installed some weatherstripping supports for the board and installed the mounts. It was kind of a pain because the board has stuff sticking out of it, and it needed a cartridge in and the top over it to line up. A lot of pushing and nudging later I got the mounts hopefully in the right place. I'll have to wait for it to harden to see if I got it right. It's a good thing I used Mighty Putty and not hot glue here. Hot glue would have set too fast. Next time I'll do this BEFORE I install the top part and line THAT up to the board. But I probably won't have to, because my next portable will almost certainly have a cart slot relocation.
boardmounts.jpg

Going to Vancouver next weekend, hopefully I'll be able to get a third party controller! Also, still trying to figure out the wings. Just have to say, my next portable won't be a piece of crap like this. I plan on a real PSone screen, proper handheld, MUCH smaller, and relocated cart slot.

Well, it was 1337 views for a bit!
leetviews2.png

No updates on the portable itself yet, but I had an epiphany on the name. YAP64/2 was a good choice, because it can be yap sixty-four and a half. So that's the development name. YAP64 and a half, though I will probably keep pronouncing it yap sixtyfour slash two or even yap sixty-four-two. The final portable will probably simply be called YAP64, as the original was never finished. My next portable will probably be an SD-GOACp or a NESp/NOACp, then YAP64².

Gonna try to mount the board today, could be entertaining.

I'm really pissed off now.

I tried to mount my board and encountered a whole bunch of problems. First, the board didn't line up, so I got out the drill and ghetto-rigged some mounting slots on the board so I could adjust it. It sort of worked. Then the screws wouldn't stay in the mounts, because they were a bit too big. While trying screws, one of the screwposts fell out. The friggin' Mighty Putty had barely set! I don't know why, it should have been at least mostly hard by now, but no, it wasn't just not rock hard, it was SOFT. Like, still a putty soft. Also, one of the capacitors fell off the board. It seems to be a power filter capacitor for the 12V line, 68uF. I'm hoping a 47uF 16V one will work, because that's the closest one I've got. I could try to get one off my dead board, but I've torched some of them out of boredom so it might not work.

boarddamage.jpg

aftermath.jpg

So, how do YOU hold your boards in? Any tips would be appreciated.

Try a using epoxy or bondo. If you're worried about conductivity, then only epoxy the ground sides of the n64. Let it set for while, try blowing a fan on it so it can dry faster. Not the prettiest solution, but you're not doing a clear case anyway. :p

Actually, if that doesn't work, then take some plastic and melt it with a spare soldering iron tip over the edges of the motherboard. Should work fine, I melt plastic all the time.

No. I want the motherboard removable, not glued in. I might have to *sigh* drill holes in the bottom of the case and just use a nut and bolt. But I REALLY don't want to do that.

XCVG said:
No. I want the motherboard removable, not glued in. I might have to *sigh* drill holes in the bottom of the case and just use a nut and bolt. But I REALLY don't want to do that.
Why? Do you plan to use this board in the future?

If so, do this: Put down four spots of hot glue in the sides of your case, then make some crappy plastic tabs out of a broken case or whatever, and glue them over your board. Four pieces, depending on the size, might be enough to hold it down well enough. This way, the motherboard isn't permanently attached. You can just pull of the plastic tabs later and pull the motherboard right out. If I didn't explain this well, just say so and I'll post a pic.

I'd still have to get it lined up, and there's no way four dinky little tabs will hold. I think I'll just drill holes through the case and bolt it in. Ugly, but virtually idiot-proof.

I'm not sure if I want to keep going this direction or not.

Stay this direction: Wii screen, laptop style, possibly detachable controller wings.
Go other direction: PSone screen, ZN-4X case, full integration.

Probably going to just keep forging ahead with this one, but the next one will be a proper portable. I wanted to use a PSone screen, but this POS Wii screen was all I could find. It probably would have saved me a lot of trouble and maybe even money to buy a PSone screen in the beginning. Oh well.

Portabilizing is hard. Tell me now- am I trying to hard? Because I could have just hot-glued the mobo in, not put in cart doors at all, and slam on any old piece of material for the sides. Also, I can get a 7.2V NiCd battery and charger for $20, but I'm still going to go for a lithium pack, because 6000mAh>2000mAh.

If this is your first portable, I'd say take it easy and just make something usable. I think my greatest mistake was undertaking too many difficult steps at once when I messed with my Genesis the first time. I'm trying to make an easy n64 right now, I don't really mind if it's ugly or thick, at least the first time around. Just improve a little bit at a time.

Got two heatsinks today. One is a fairly big plain aluminum one, almost 3" wide and around 2" long. The other is maybe half that size, and black. Intially the black one was going to be for RAM and the plain one for the CPU and RCP, but it turns out that the plain one will cover it all. It's pretty thick but it should be okay in my huge portable. Might have to cut it down for capacitor clearence however.

Still haven't fixed the capcitor though...

Remember to put a strip of aluminum or something on the RAM, though. It's a bit less than a millimeter lower than the other chips, but might not touch your heatsink.

Well, small update on the 'sinks. The black one fits the RAM and RCP almost PERFECTLY, so I'll probably use it like that, with a second smaller one on the CPU. Gotta find one today.

Oh, and I STILL haven't fixed the capacitor, but I might have time today.

I salvaged some capacitors from the fried board first. Of the five or six I tried I got three off. I also got distracted and lifted a pin from the RCP and soldered to it, and proved that I can solder SMT by removing and re-attaching the PIF chip. After getting distracted I replaced the capacitor and tested the board, and it amazingly still works. As far as I can tell the capacitor was a filter for the 3.3V line, so I could have used a different capacitor of similar value. No pictures, none of it is that interesting. If you REALLY want some I'll take some tomorrow.

Next up- need to get a heatsink for the CPU, and then stress-test the whole thing.

Well, I'm back and I've got a controller. It's a Superpad 64 Plus (the weird one), it has a really nice stick and cost me $20 (ripoff, but it's not like I had a choice). I'm not sure if I really want to kill it; is it rare or good?

Still don't have the second heatsink unfortunately. Also, still no ideas about the case. I thought about pulling a Zeturi and trying a different project first, but parts are so expensive for me that there's no way I can make a ghetto portable, as much as I want to.

XCVG said:
I thought about pulling a Zeturi and trying a different project first, but parts are so expensive for me that there's no way I can make a ghetto portable, as much as I want to.
:evil3: IKILLYOU!!!11!ONE!

What systems do you have that you could do instead? The older systems can be somewhat cheap to make, as I found for my NES.

None. All my other systems I only have one of. About the only one I'd even think about sacrificing is the Genesis. I hate that piece of flax. The system isn't the problem though, really. Those aren't THAT hard to get. It's the screen that's difficult for me. The DX pustom screens aren't that cheap, really, and I can't seem to find PSone screens anywhere. The Intec Wii screen I'm using was only $50, but I wouldn't use it again. It's widescreen only, needs 12V to run, and I haven't opened the top but I hear the board is huge.

I know, all I do every post is whine. Mostly because I am a cheap prick.

Then get a pocket tv, or a hip gear screen. They're small, but can be cheap. I've found a constant seller on ebay that sells hip gears for 18 shipped.

EDIT:

Easy. Get a cheap hip gear lcd (They run on a minimun of 6v), and use your Genesis. The power requirements are pretty low for the Genesis, so you should be able to get away with any crappy 2000mah batteries. Recycle any cases from old broken crap you have laying around, and shove it all in. The cost should be well below $150, less if you have most of this stuff laying around.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU, got ripped off. You got the controller that you can use the dpad and the joystick without moving your hand? Probably about fourteen dollars is the most I'd pay for one. If you want a backup (they ruin easily :neutral2: ) I have them for sale...($9)

Back