YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

I can barely get the case to sort of fit together, no way I'd be able to do that. Plus the board is pretty wide. I plan to build the flanks as separate units and screw them on.

Not the cartridge, it would get pulled out to fold. The analog stick would hit the screen.

Oh wait, handheld? Well, this screen would suck for that, plus this case is already halfway built. Also, multiplayer FTW. Maybe YAP64/3 will be more conventional.

You could make the joystick recessed a little, and an indent on the other side.

Also, 1337th post in the N64 forum.

Mario said:
You could make the joystick recessed a little, and an indent on the other side.

Also, 1337th post in the N64 forum.

The way the screen is made I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Not 100%, but I think the board goes the whole way across. Will have to open it up to take a look. Also, the screen is thin so you wouldn't be able to get much of an indent. I thought about it.

I've thought about all the options and wings are the best way. Integrated fully=joystick hits the screen. PSP sticks=no. Indent for stick=see above. Sprocket64 style miniwings=horribly uncomfortable on this case. Full wings=ugly, possible weight issues, but workable and most likely usable.

Also, to pull this off I need to destroy no less than three controllers. One 3rd party N64 for the board. One 1st party N64 for the case, buttons, and parts of the board. One other controller (probably XBOX but maybe DualShock) for the sticks. I've already got the 1st party one, just need a 3rd party one. I have a semi-working XBOX controller but I'm not sure if I want to wreck it.

Then how do you play?
If they aren't held, then the system must be on like a table, and your arms awkwardly next to it, Right?

Argelfraster said:
Then how do you play?
If they aren't held, then the system must be on like a table, and your arms awkwardly next to it, Right?
:facepalm:

You hold the system, and put you thumbs on the miniwings.

I know the miniwings aren't held. I tried putting my hands in the approximate position, and found it extremely awkward. I would actually have to point my thumbs OUTWARD.

One guy suggested I take off the wings entirely. The problem with that is that then I would not be able to play it as a fliptop. The idea is that it can be a single player fliptop or a multi player laptop. I'm considering making the wings removable though...

XCVG said:
I know the miniwings aren't held. I tried putting my hands in the approximate position, and found it extremely awkward. I would actually have to point my thumbs OUTWARD.

One guy suggested I take off the wings entirely. The problem with that is that then I would not be able to play it as a fliptop. The idea is that it can be a single player fliptop or a multi player laptop. I'm considering making the wings removable though...
Dooooo itttttttttttt!

Use HDMI plugs and screws to hold 'em on!

HDMI plugs? Cool idea, but I'm too cheap to do that. I'll probably use headers, if I ever buy any. And yeah, I would use machine screws to hold it on.

Also, preliminary internal diagram. Probably horribly out of scale.

internaldiagram.png

Just FYI, I opened the intec wii screen before, and the board does go all the way across the case.

zeturi said:
Just FYI, I opened the intec wii screen before, and the board does go all the way across the case.
But all that crapis going ion the bottom half of the case. ;)

@XCVG- What if I can find 2 hdmi male and 2 hdmi female connectors uber cheep on the internets? Will you reconsider?

Basement_Modder said:
zeturi said:
But all that crapis going ion the bottom half of the case. ;)

@XCVG- What if I can find 2 hdmi male and 2 hdmi female connectors uber cheep on the internets? Will you reconsider?

Maybe, but what's so good about HDMI connectors, other than that someone could try to connect it to their HDTV. Then drive 12V through the inputs and fry a $2000 TV :twisted:

Bought some plastic, but haven't been able to do much of anything due to a nasty cold.

Well, fired up my soldering iron and managed to fix the trimmed Tremor Pak Plus. So this portable will probably have a memory card slot. Where to put it I don't know.

Back