YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
FINISHED!
See this thread.

YAP64/2
STATUS: HAVE ALL PARTS, ELECTRONICS MOSTLY DONE, LOTS OF CASEWORK TO DO

Introduction: Some of you may remember the ill-fated YAP64. Well, I've finally found another N64, and I've managed to acquire a screen on the way! Originally I wanted to call this YAP64-squared but I couldn't figure out how to put in a squared sign (is that possible?) so I settled with YAP64/2 as the development name.

Overview: Although it will technically be a portable (full integration) it will look like a laptop. The reason? The screen I have is an Intec Wii screen, and I'm lazy so I'm just going to put the N64 in the bottom half. There will be integrated batteries, and integrated controls (wings probably). I'm being less ambitious this time, no cartridge slot relocation, the Intec screen allows enough clearance between the bottom of the screen and the top of the bottom section. Probably no expansion pack but there will probably be room for one. I'm still fleshing out the details, stay tuned.

Components:
Console: Nintendo 64 ($10)
Screen: Intec Wii Screen (V2) ($50) (not going to use) (planning to use a PS1 screen or 3.5" DX screen) EDIT: 3.5" screen, courtesy of PalmerTech
Controls: Looking for a Nyko twin-stick controller, will probably end up with wings. If anyone has one PM me. (couldn't find, will use Superpad Plus with XBOX sticks) EDIT: SuperPad Plus with XBOX sticks, DualShock shoulders, and stock N64 controller parts
Batteries: haven't decided, probably camcorder batteries (probably going to use DX camcorder batteries) EDIT: Initial DVD player battery, same as on Ben's PS2p

YAP64/2: Design

YAP64-2-1.PNG

This is the basic design. The screen is on top, the N64 is in the bottom section. Controller flanks, because I said so. Controller ports along the front, bank-o-switches along one side with power and a/v i/o. No relocated cart slot.

IntecWS-V2.JPG

This is the screen I'm using, going to retrofit the N64 into. Ignore the markings, this is picture from this thread and I'm too lazy to upload another. As you can see controller flanks kind of make sense, and the blocky blob has to go.

ShockSlayer said:
If you keep it up, it'll be a YAPYAPYAPYAPN64. :rofl:

SS

I lol'ed at that for a bit. Actually, it would become YAP64/3, then YAP64/4, then YAP64/5. I actually thought briefly about renaming it to YAP64/360, though more in reference to the System/360 then the XBOX 360.

I feel a trend coming on. IntoBacteria's Intoportables can be Intoprefixed with Into, so will/my portables/be talked/about like/this?

EDIT: Serious stuff now. I need a TI card, and the free samples has a ridiculous lead time. If anyone has one that they would give to me for free or really cheap that would be nice. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm going to see if my screen can run off 7.5V. My hypothesis is that the screen will work but the backlight will not work or work poorly.

oh god...no...that case

just no.

no.

NO.

At least make it in the n64 case if you're not trying to make it small.

eurddrue said:
oh god...no...that case

just no.

no.

NO.

At least make it in the n64 case if you're not trying to make it small.

What case? You misunderstand, the N64 is going to be frankencased into the bottom section, probably with N64 case parts.

Basement_Modder said:
My ti card free sample shipped overnight, as did my ZN-40. Also-copy/paste to title: YAP64²
Well, it says there is a 6 week lead time but I'll check it out. Also, I'd do that but I don't want to change the development nameagain.

The basic design is what I looked at. :hand: It's your portable I guess, but those flanks will not be comfortable.

eurddrue said:
The basic design is what I looked at. :hand: It's your portable I guess, but those flanks will not be comfortable.

The flanks aren't going to be angular like that, I just can't draw. They should be fairly comfortable, if not I'll probably think of something else

I've managed to take apart my N64. Five of the six screws I got out using only pliers. I used the pen trick for the sixth screw. After that I went through the boring process of removing all the metal bits and then I tested it. w00t, it still works. My board isn't RGB moddable but I don't really care. I only have a jumper pak, I want an expansion pak but can't find one cheap, though I'll try to leave room for one if I do. This portable is going to be big and chunky, but hey, it's my first portable. I'm re-evaluating the controller wings, maybe I won't use wings after all. Looking at my N64 board is eerily familiar, but those with long memories will remember that I fried my last one. But I'm rambling now, leaving you with a worklog significantly more boring than a Bacteria worklog.

eurddrue said:
Thank you for not doing the wings. THANK YOU :)
I never said I wouldn't do wings, I said I'd re-evaluate the use of wings. Meaning looking at it and saying hmm, is this a good idea? If you're right, then the answer will be no.
eurddrue said:
You should submit this one to the showcase :lol:
What showcase?

Removed the expansion slot. I was creative here. I removed the slot itself, but instead of removing the pins I simply shortened them. This way I don't have to relocate the cart slot. I was expecting to have to solder the stubs onto the pins but I didn't have to. After I verified it worked I almost pulled the cart slot out with the game, a few screws fixed that.

You might as well have left on the EXT slot, then, because all you really did was expose the pins of the cart slot and make it liable to fail.

I've worked on the case some and it's not going too well. I tried cutting up an N64 case to fill in some of the holes, but it was all bumpy and wonky. My dad told me to use hardboard, and we tried it, but it looks like crap and I'm worried about it failing. I thought it would be easier to just fill in the holes in the bottom of the case, but it looks like it would have been easier to simply use another case for the bottom. I've still got another N64 case, so maybe I'll use that. I thought about a plastic food container but they are too weak and flexy. Maybe I'll look at some commercial enclosures.

Basement_Modder said:
You might as well have left on the EXT slot, then, because all you really did was expose the pins of the cart slot and make it liable to fail.

Yeah, but the EXT slot is pretty thick. The trimmed pins reduces it to less than half the thickness.

Skyone always says, "You should submit this to the showcase :) "

About the expansion port, tear that Sega off, and bend the pins from the cartslot over. They reach the little blobs of solder, making it thinner :D then, cover with electrical tape and flood with hotglue.

Just get a sheet of 3mm plexiglass at the home depot. I am using it for sheet plastic on my portable. Just sand the shiny gloss layer off (I did it with 1000 grit, so it can't be that thick.) and paint it with Krylon Fusion. Looks just like regular ABS plastic, which is good for $2.49 a sheet. :)

eurddrue said:
Skyone always says, "You should submit this to the showcase :) "

About the expansion port, tear that Sega off, and bend the pins from the cartslot over. They reach the little blobs of solder, making it thinner :D then, cover with electrical tape and flood with hotglue.

Hmm, that's an idea, but if I did that I would do it right and solder it. I don't want to go back and redo it, especially if it's covered in hotglue.

Basement_Modder said:
Just get a sheet of 3mm plexiglass at the home depot. I am using it for sheet plastic on my portable. Just sand the shiny gloss layer off (I did it with 1000 grit, so it can't be that thick.) and paint it with Krylon Fusion. Looks just like regular ABS plastic, which is good for $2.49 a sheet. :)

I'll look but I'm probably going to use the N64 case, a la ShockSlayer.

Also, anyone have any tips on how to obtain free samples from TI?

XCVG said:
Hmm, that's an idea, but if I did that I would do it right and solder it. I don't want to go back and redo it, especially if it's covered in hotglue.
:facepalm:

You solder it first. :p

Back