YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

XCVG said:
Basement_Modder said:
LOL I has t3h same iron tooz! :dahroll:

The progress looks good so far, just be careful with that bondo spot filler. I put it on too thick in one spot and it cracked. Was a ton of work to make it nice again. Also, mighty putty is good, but I use something called quicksteel from walmart. It is basicly the same thing, but reenforced with steel and stronger and cheaper. I highly reccommend it. It's only $3.49! :dahroll:

I think I have enough mighty putty, but I guess I'll check out the quicksteel if I see it. What section is it in?

Also, what tip do you use on your iron? I used an ST7 0.8mm conical tip.

It's in automotive by the epoxies. I use that tip, too. Our irons are like long lost twins! :awesome:

Basement_Modder said:
I use that tip, too. Our irons are like long lost twins! :awesome:
interesting. very interesting. i use a 0.4mm tip, so i guess im btter than both of you. :awesome:

loks great so far, xcvg!

samjc3 said:
Basement_Modder said:
I use that tip, too. Our irons are like long lost twins! :awesome:
interesting. very interesting. i use a 0.4mm tip, so i guess im btter than both of you. :awesome:

Hmmm, I couldn't get a .4mm tip, but this one is plenty small.

PalmerTech said:
QuickSteel is good stuff. Highly recommended.

Doesn't the steel make it hard to sand?

samjc3 said:
loks great so far, xcvg!

That's probably the first time someone has said that to me.

Anyway, did some bondo work, sanding and applying, but nothing big. Gotta order some free samples, but I can't do it on Sunday for obvious reasons.

Okay, a little update. I got some plastic from Home Depot. Paid about $4.20 (lol) for a little 8x10 sheet. Fortunately I think the 8x10 sheet is enough to do at least the top and bottom. I cut it down to the size I need with a normal wood saw, and then I had to sand it to fit. Not exactly fun with my garbage torque-free dremel ripoff. But I got it to fit, and then I mighty-putty'ed it in. Waiting for it to dry right now...

Slightly bigger update. I've done some more casework, this time with the cart door area.

cartdoors1.JPG

It's pretty much a chunk of N64 case that I've mighty-puttied into the case. I've still got to reinforce it with hotglue, since this is one of the parts that really gets a lot of action.
cartdoors2.JPG

The cart door holder thingy isn't screwed in yet. This isn't the one I'm going to be using, this is one I had laying around from before. The one I'm going to use has the tabs cut off, for Japanese game action!
cartdoors3.JPG

As you can sorta see, I'm either going to have to raise the mobo or cut up the cart door holders. Since I suck at this, I'm probably going to do the latter, which saves space too (the space under the N64 would be useless).

Hope you enjoyed my little update!

Just got some money for staining a fence. I thought about blowing it on a Retro Duo, but I'd probably be better off spending it on my project. I need to get a third party controller, and maybe a different controller for the case and sticks (I like the XBOX Controller S). I also need a battery, any suggestions? I was thinking a camcorder battery, but there are so many different kinds. I need something cheap, by the way.

Mini-update: Got a fan for my project. Found a used Intercooler for $10. Got three nice fans for the price of one.

XCVG said:
Mini-update: Got a fan for my project. Found a used Intercooler for $10. Got three nice fans for the price of one.
Just as long as your heatsink is good, you don't really need a fan for an N64p.

Back