YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

Basement_Modder said:
XCVG said:
Mini-update: Got a fan for my project. Found a used Intercooler for $10. Got three nice fans for the price of one.
Just as long as your heatsink is good, you don't really need a fan for an N64p.

Whatever, I paid for it some I'm gonna use it! Plus airflow is going to horrible in there without it, and what makes you think I will have good heatsinks.

You're right, I could probably get away without it, but I want to be on the safe side.

snowpenguin said:
A heatsink really isn't worth too much when there's nothing t get the hot air away from it.
LIES! The word "heatsink" technically means "an object that absorbs and dispenses heat from another object." The heat doesn't all stay in the heatsink. It drifts away from it.

But you still don't want that heat floating around in the case with the heatsink. It has been said many times by many people, You need something to remove the hot air.

With enough ventilation the air will slowly move out, but the airflow will be horrible in my case, hence the need for a fan.

snowpenguin said:
A heatsink really isn't worth too much when there's nothing t get the hot air away from it.
Yes it is. It takes the heat away from the chip so that the chip won't kill itself. the n64 doesn't need a fan, there have been plenty without one, like hailraizer's and all of SS's zn-45 ones, and they're doing just fine.

eurddrue said:
snowpenguin said:
Yes it is. It takes the heat away from the chip so that the chip won't kill itself. the n64 doesn't need a fan, there have been plenty without one, like hailraizer's and all of SS's zn-45 ones, and they're doing just fine.
My zn-40 has been run for 2 hours with the case closed up and had no issues. I don't even have a vent. :mrgreen:

TI has sent my samples, this could end in disaster. I'm really nervous about that.

snowpenguin said:
But it's best to use both.

It not needed, its not necessary, and furthermore, it wasn't it the original design either. In most if not all of my n64 portables, which I have heat tested thoroughly, I never needed a fan, and never any vents either. There were portables of mine that had fans, and vents, and performance was not increased. The ones with fans had a switch on the fan, and most of the time it was off.

Sifuf's Sixtyfree Lite-R didn't have vents. Or a fan.
Marshallh's L64 didn't either.
Are you saying you know more about portablizing than they do?

Back up your statement now.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
Sifuf's Sixtyfree Lite-R didn't have vents. Or a fan.
I have to say it: SHOCKSLAYER IS WRONG!
35i29vp.jpg

Not saying its necessary, just saying its there. I'm still on your side of this. ;)

I know I know nowhere near as much about portablizing than all the people you mentioned and yourself, but, yeah, it is better to use a fan. It is not required, but it is good to ventilate things better. Do not try and say it is not, it IS better to use a fan.

The original console had no fans as it was smothered in vents and had a gigantic heatsink. On portables we employ smaller heatsinks, thus it is better to use a fan to promote better airflow.

I know you know this ShockSlayer. Just because it doesn't absolutely need a fan does not mean it isn't better to incorporate one if you can. I am not the only one to say fans are good.

This is not what this thread is here for. This is XCVG's WIP, and it should go back to being comments about that. If you want to start a thread for this, fine. Go forth an do so. To be honest I was waiting for you to say this, SS.

Yeah, the fans I got from the intercooler are 40mm or 60mm, I can't really tell. With some cutting it should fit on the case.

Also, I might be able to ditch the big part of the cartridge dust covers. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm7-OZmmt7s
The same principle can probably be applied to the N64.

:gonk:

Eh, it's not neccessary, so I still win. If you like wasting power and a louder unit, fine. Go for it. :p And snowpenguin, don't backseat moderate.

SS

Got my free samples from TI a few minutes ago. Will edit this post with pictures once I get around to uploading them. :awesome:

EDIT:
package.JPG

(details are scrubbed out for obvious reasons)
contents.JPG

Fancy anti-static bags. I feel sorry for TI. The packaging and these bags look expensive. The box was also overly large. Anyway, all in all I have:
PTN78060WAH
PTH08080WAH
TPA6021A4N (x2)
PTN04050CAD
PTH08000WAZ
PTH08080WAZ
PTN04050CAH
PTH08000WAH

All in all, this is epic awesome!

I ordered one pth08000 and they sent it in a box big enough to fit 1000. Also :ninj: I didn't post this.

Basement_Modder said:
eurddrue said:
I ordered one pth08000 and they sent it in a box big enough to fit 1000. Also :ninj: I didn't post this.
I didn't even know you could order more then one! :lol:

You can order one of each part, but there are three versions of PTH08080.

Back