Sprocket64 Worklog. FINISHED. See page 27.

Re: Sprocket64 Worklog. Copper Sheet Heatsink!

25u5e1c.jpg

Baaaack froooom the deaaaaaad... :zombie:

^20 minute tard render of what I think this thing will look like. 9.5 inches wide, 5 inches tall, 2 inches thick. No cart slot in the back, it goes in the top. No d-pad or L button. There will maybe be an option available to put in an expansion pack instead of a jumper pack. I'm not sure how that would work out.

This is the third and (I'm pretty sure) final case revision. I'm going to start cutting the sheets of plastic out and gluing them together.

SPRING BREAK OH YEAH
TIME TO FINISH THIS BABY UP

Re: Sprocket64 Worklog. Now with 157% less abandonment!

duuude totally. Spring Break is where its at!

I'm doing major casework over spring break, but I have to do it at my cabin, away from powertools besides my dremel, in 30 degree weather. :gonk:

WHEN I GET BACK IT WILL BE STUNNING

seeing as its not so much a sprocket 64 anymore, you should change the name.

snowpenguin said:
I'm doing major casework over spring break, but I have to do it at my cabin, away from powertools besides my dremel, in 30 degree weather. :gonk:

WHEN I GET BACK IT WILL BE STUNNING

That may not be a great idea, the temperature may really mess with your bondo/epoxy/abs.

ToastBucket said:
seeing as its not so much a sprocket 64 anymore, you should change the name.
When was it ever a "Sprocket 64"? :p It's just a name. It never looked anything like a sprocket.

it used to have those little controller doodads coming out of the side.

What makes this different from your last portable? Also, that looks widescreen to me.

It is very much widescreen. But, it has a 4::3:/16:9 switch.

By last portable you mean my Retro64, right? Or do you mean the one I started at the beginning of this thread? That's the same one, it's just got a new case now.

Total cost of portable so far: $40
Things I still need to get: None

Spent about 3.5 hours on the case so far. I've cut out and filed the front, back, right, and bottom panels. Still need to do the left and top panels.
The plastic is from a printer/scanner. One piece is the lid (grey plastic), the other is the white piece that serves as a background for scanning. The white plastic is about 1.5mm and the grey is 2mm.

30rv19y.jpg

105r52c.jpg

14ay4k7.jpg

2bqjqa.jpg

2vv2v6x.jpg

^Still need to cut out those last two pieces.

Questions/comments?

I think it looks like it will be awesome. :awesomemario: = win.

<3

Since I am on spring break, and I have nothing else to do, I am working on this portable just about all day, every day. Expect 2-3 updates per day.

I have never had to cut out a screen hole before, so I think this one came out pretty nice. The edges are very close to being straight. ;)

Screen hole rough cut:
jsbtbo.jpg

After being filed down to size:
2sakv7t.jpg

I'll take a video once it's painted and the screen is mounted, how about that? :awesome:

Forgot to say, the other pieces are finished. I'll cut out the front button holes, glue all the pieces together with hot glue*, fill any cracks on the edges with bondo, sand the whole thing, and then paint it black.

*If you sand the plastic first and cut it up with an xacto knife, the glue really has a spot to stick and bonds really well. Especially with high temp hot glue. So no worries, the case will be very stable.

Unlike what I said on the previous page, I decided I am going to include the d-pad and L button. There will probably not be any controller expansion slot, though.

You mean a switch between the built in controller and an external one? No worries. But hey, if you include the expansion pak then you'll have full compatibility! :awesome:

Unfortunately, there is no room. :( I only have one, anyway.

Update. I drilled the speaker holes, cut out the C-button holes, and sanded the front of the case. Not posting pictures right now because I feel I'm being a bit excessive with the updates. :dah:

Back