Sprocket64 Worklog. FINISHED. See page 27.

Re: Sprocket64 Worklog. Now with 157% less abandonment!

I would actually like to ask, how do tacts feel for games? I know you use 'em, so does SS and Ben, but I've been a bit leery about trying them.

1. There are only tacts on the d-pad.
2. I've tried squishy tacts on a d-pad, I could not get it to work properly. I can only get tact switches to work with d-pads.

T-Berg: :stare:

Zeturi: They feel fine to me. I used them for all the buttons on my NESp and I like them. There's not a lot of button travel, but I don't mind. They're really responsive, at least.

Tacts are precise. If you're not a 12 year old mashing buttons regardless of whether they register or not you'll be fine.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
Tacts are precise. If you're not a 12 year old mashing buttons regardless of whether they register or not you'll be fine.

SS

well....shoot

Well in theory, tacts are simply better, response time wise. A really good player on tact switches vs a really good player on membranes, both of them with tons of practice on their controllers? The tact guy will likely win. Membranes are just win in terms of comfort and feel. :)

Looking good, Mario!

PalmerTech said:
Well in theory, tacts are simply better, response time wise. A really good player on tact switches vs a really good player on membranes, both of them with tons of practice on their controllers? The tact guy will likely win. Membranes are just win in terms of comfort and feel. :)

Looking good, Mario!

Wait. :neutral2: All I ever heard on the BenHeck site and this site was how tacts has WORSE response time and that the membranes were the best for response time.

Tactile response, as in, comfort and feel? Membranes win. Tacts, however, have shorter travel, and make a tactile "click" when you hit, so you know exactly when you have made contact.

PalmerTech said:
Tactile response, as in, comfort and feel? Membranes win. Tacts, however, have shorter travel, and make a tactile "click" when you hit, so you know exactly when you have made contact.
I don't know... tacts feel better to my fingers. Maybe it's just me.
I, for one, am pro-tact. When membranes break, they just feel softer. I have a whole bunch of broken D-pads to prove it, and I'm pretty sure every one else does too.

PalmerTech said:

Well, everyone I always heard discussing this (since before Modretro) told me that Tacts would have slower response. That playing games like smash bros would be not quite as quick on the punches. Kasar, especially told me this. IN FACT, go to his Gamecube guide and he even mentions tacts being slower in button registration in the game.

Now, I am not saying you are wrong. Just saying that its the first time I've heard that.

Electrical contact is electrical contact. Tacts are just as fast, electrically. The timing for pushes is different than a membrane, though, because they have such short travel distance.

It all comes down to personal preference, and convenience, really. :)

Okay, so, I built an audio amp using a TDA2822M chip. (stereo audio amplifier) When I was done, I hooked it up to my benchtop PSU and turned it on. Even before I plugged it into my MP3 player to test, I heard something coming from the speakers. I listened closely, and I heard Mexican music! :lol: I ran the amp off batteries and it went away.
Apparently, my PSU was picking up a radio signal and feeding it through my audio amp. :p I listened for a while longer, and some talk show people came on, so I knew it was radio then.

Anyway, the amp works great, a little too great if I may say. When I play my MP3 player through it, I turn it up to 1/3 of the volume and the speakers already sound like they are gonna blow. And the N64's sound output seems to be louder than my MP3 player at full volume. :confused: So, how do I limit the input volume? I've tried a variable resistor, but it just creates a lot of static.

Got the audio amp finished and working properly. I had to add a 1meg resistor on each of the N64's audio lines to get the audio down to an acceptable level. Also got a headphone jack working with it.

My Rube-Goldbergian setup for testing the amp and screen (getting signals from my green N64 down there in the corner).
11rerlu.jpg

Running Perfect Dark on widescreen:
a1k6py.jpg

Audio amp mounted in the case (with a screwpost of course. :) )
2j1a144.jpg

I have to do a school project, so there might not be any more updates for today.

What audio amp and speakers are you using, looks very tiny.

I didn't, I swear, SS! :p It's there because I was using that for testing the audio. ;)

Bentomo: It's an amp I built with a chip I found on some audio amp board. I looked up the datasheet and built the circuit from that. It's a TDA2822M. The speakers are PSOne screen speakers.

Looks really cool and very tiny, if it had a headphone jack I'd be all over that, especially since you had to limit the audio coming out, sounds pretty loud.

Mario said:
Also got a headphone jack working with it.
;) The headphones are crazy loud, though. It's a PSOne screen headphone jack.

I meant if it had a switch to turn off the speakers when you plug in the headphones.

It does.

:awesome:

I wired it to disconnect the speakers when headphones are plugged in.

Back