Sprocket64 Worklog. FINISHED. See page 27.

Re: Sprocket64 Worklog. Now with 157% less abandonment!

I really like how this portable is coming along.

In my opinion, screw posts make for a future-proof portable, that is one in which it will be easy to replace parts when they eventually die or become less functional (mushy tacts), while others have to navigate through a sea of solidified hot glue.

Mario said:
It does.

:awesome:

I wired it to disconnect the speakers when headphones are plugged in.
How you do that? :dahroll:

Did you just wire it to turn off the amp?

Also I wish i had thought of the screw post thing.

I think using screw posts is a great idea. Long as your not trying to build the world's smallest, I think it's something I'll consider from now on.

I used to do that in my portables before I started just cutting in the entire cpcb board/surround.

Pic from my Darth64 :)

DSC07013.JPG

Those held in the N64 board.

You can use spare posts for old cases and crappy kids toys.

I looked at the PSOne screen headphone jack and used my multimeter to check the connections. After a minute I came up with this pinout:

5xpgdv.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory, I hope.

So, I didn't do much today. I stuck some grounded copper tape between the inverter and LCD to eliminate interference. I drilled holes for and mounted the headphone jack and charge port. The charge port will be hooked up to disconnect the batteries from everything in order to be properly charged.
I also realized I had a problem with LOB64. I modded my screen to use s-video, but LOB64 uses composite! Luckily, I came up with a solution. I order to put the screen into composite mode, the luma line has to be connected to ground. I need a switch to turn the N64 on and off and to change the chroma line to the screen to the composite one. So, I needed a 3PDT switch. Luckily, I found a 4PDT switch. I confirmed it after a quick multimeter-ing.
Sorry if all that doesn't make sense, I will put up a diagram explaining exactly what needs to be switched. But, anyway, I will use two poles for the N64's power (to handle the amps) one to switch the screen to composite, and one to change the chroma signal to composite.

But, updates.
The four pole, double throw switch:
fawn4k.jpg

You can see the charge port and headphone jack in the bottom there, as well as the insulated copper tape under the inverter.
2jazwgh.jpg

Here are the two ports from the bottom:
2zsp9pw.jpg

Yes, the start button does stick out of the case a bit more than is normal. It's fine.

This is awesome! Love seeing it updated, lots of pics are enjoyable. I like the s-video too.

Don't you just love it when the screen board is smaller then the screen itself?

I was camping from Thursday to Saturday, so no updates for then. :/ But, I got a bit of stuff done today.
N64 cart slot mounted (N64 needs to be glued down)
5nrs3o.jpg

LOB64 wired up, just before hot glue
2qdd6s2.jpg

Back with buttons mounted and cart cover put in place (but not glued yet) :awesome:
The switch next to the LOB64 port is to switch the portable from master to slave.
a8gmb.jpg

nlq2j6.jpg

Side:
20zxnc0.jpg

Inside:
ilg0sl.jpg

Closer view of how the brightness/color knobs are mounted (volume is done the same way). I got rid of the board seen before and wired all the resistors right to the knobs.
oqavi9.jpg

How the L/R/Z buttons are mounted:
r9k6tt.jpg

Comments? I know you want to give me some. :awesome:

NICE! I WANNA SEE THIS FINISHED BY TOMORROW!

high-temp hotglue will melt at extremely high temps.

If an N64 can melt it, you've got other issues.

...IT'S TURNING INTO THE PHANTOM 360! THERE'S HOTGLUE EVERYWHERE! SAVE UUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hah. I like it.

Would comment more but I have a splitting headache, plus I only got two hours of sleep before a long school day.
SS

I like the strip of credit card in the photo for the L, R, and Z mounting.

Also, this is looking beautiful.

Tomorrow? Ha! :p

Toast, I looked up the melting point of hot glue on wikipedia, and it said this:
"Glue guns come in a low-temperature and a high-temperature (hot-melt) version. Low-temperature glue guns heat up to about 250 °F (121 °C) and are well suited when high temperatures are undesirable, such as gluing lace and cloth. High-temperature guns heat up to around 380 °F (193 °C) and produce a stronger bond. Dual guns have a switch for both low- and high-temperature use"
High temp hot glue melts at 380 Fahrenheit. :p If I'm having temperatures above that, B_M is right, I have other issues. :lol:

Thanks for the comments. :)
Neverused, I use cards like that for tons of stuff. It's extremely useful. :awesome:

I was thinking of you when I wired up the LOB64 jack on my (new/ secret) portable tonight, Mario.

Comicon shall OWN!

Back