ShockSlayer's X64 Lite WIP Thread!

SS said:
Okay, I have another question, and since your the n64 guru, well, you know the rest.

Lets say, I wired two n64 cartridges directly to the n64, but I connected all the grounds of each cart onto one wire each, and then had ground from the n64 on another wire. Would I be able to put the three on the switch, and be able to witch between cartidges? If not, how would I go about doing that?

Basically, I need a way to have all of my 6 n64 games built into my n64p, and be able to switch between them w/o a cart slot. DO you know of a way, or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

SS

marshallh said:
Just try it and see...

The downside is that there is a reason why there are so many grounds on the cart pins. Signal noise/crosstalk/etc

Running all the grounds together may or may not work, i think the bus is slow enough for it to work. Make sure you decouple the power signal as it goes into each cart.

SS said:
Well, if it means anything, when I wired to the RCP I connected all the GND's on the cart slot together, so I guess that's one problem down.

The only thing that comes back to me is wondering if I'm playing one game and it messes up the other, aka accidentally writing data to another game or something, considering that ll of them will be connected...:confused:

One last(probably noobish) question: "decouple the power signal?" I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by that, I don't think I know how to decouple anything. :lol:

SS

marshallh said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor

Placement

A transient load decoupling capacitor should usually be placed as close as possible to the device requiring the decoupled signal. The goal is to minimize the amount of line inductance and series resistance between the decoupling capacitor and that device, and the longer the conductor between the capacitor and the device, the more inductance there is
SS said:
OH! Now I get it. Good, I'll make sure to do that.

Again, though, as long as the don't have GND or 3.3v I won't have to worry about the games saving to each other or anything?

SS

Waiting on a response, will be waiting for about 3 days I predict.

ShockSlayer said:
whadda you know? :p

SS
Nothing, I just assumed that the game signals would mix and PalmerTech confirmed it :p But if it does work kudos, I still don't think it will though. ;)

PalmerTech said:
Prove me wrong, I would be thrilled! :lol:
^ oo! 100th post of this epic thread! :D And I would have the 3.3v getting switched on/off because there are fewer pins to solder :p You're going to wire all 350 or so wires up though? That would be Über boring.

I am done with mario kart, with the exception of one corner. I need to chop off one from my Madden games. :twisted:

Perhaps... I could make you tiny carts, and you could do my N64? :mrgreen:

I still need to figure out labels, though.

You know I hate pictures. :lol: I have not been able to work on anything for the past few days much at all, I thought cleaning the garage would be a one day thing... Turns out I have more stuff to chuck than I thought. :(

Pics as soon as I can get them, though!

bacteria said:
It will be interesting to see if you can segregate games by not feeding the other games voltage and grounding. Why am I interested? ... for my GX4000 project - it only had 40 or so games released, most were poor, only a handful of titles were good; so might be a good idea to integrate the carts into the console and have done with it, if it will work ok.
now THAT would be awesome to have every good game for a system put in! I mean, the n64 will be almost as awesome, but the n64 has so many good titles that it would almost be impossible to have ever single good game put in. ;)

Re: ShockSlayer's X64 Lite WIP Thread

PalmerTech said that snes carts don't work like that, so it may just be the luck of the draw.

Same with NES. I really do think it is luck of the draw.

Or, maybe people were doing it wrong! :mrgreen:

PalmerTech said:
Same with NES. I really do think it is luck of the draw.

Or, maybe people were doing it wrong! :mrgreen:
I was gonna say that too, but I didn't feel like being the first person wrong on here :lol:

yeah, but both of those carts had more pins, the N64 has about 30 pins that are needed, and even then quite a few or N/C.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
yeah, but both of those carts had more pins, the N64 has about 30 pins that are needed, and even then quite a few or N/C.

SS
Do you have the pinout of which pins are GND?

Back