ShockSlayer's X64 Lite WIP Thread!

Do you have a ferrite filter on the composite line?

Also, does the whole image shake, or just the top/bottom lines? If that is the case, you just have a flaxty encoder board.

Don't know what a ferrite filter is.

The whole image.

I think the n64 is not compatible with the 480x234 resolution.

SS

Have you tried different games and gotten the same result?

Also, being on 56k atm, I'll go ahead and let Palmer find you a pic of a ferrite bead.

Heh...

Not sure what to tell you.

However, I still don't see the resolution as being the problem here.
The screen should be able to accept input up to 640x480 and just scale it accordingly.

Aha! I assumed your LCD was either 320x240 or 640x480.

I had a 4" DVD player screen with this problem, before I ramble on about why this happens, can you let me know if it gets better, worse, or the same when you use a jumper pack instead of an expansion pack with Pokemon Stadium 2?

A ferrite bead blocks interference. I used one on both of my audio amps that I built. So, your x64 is sleeping huh? That sucks! When I get unbanned I'll read this whole thing ;)

You should try one of these, but it may not help:
Ferrite_bead_filter.png

The N64 outputs at 320x240 for most games, and 640x480 for games that use the expansion pack. I know pokemon stadium 2 is not listed on the wikipedia list of games that use it, but it does (On the title screen, near the bottom, it says "Expansion Pack Detected" if you are using one. My guess is that the video encoder cannot handle 320x240, as there is not enough "wiggle room" to scale it at such a low res. I had a 4" DVD player (Unusable, has a huge motherboard) that had this same problem. :(

Do you have any other games that use the expansion pack for higher res, like Madden 2000, Perfect Dark, etc?

Did it always do this, or is it just a recent problem? I would call AEIcomp and complain to them, they seem to be pretty good about giving replacements for faulty gear.

:eek: Is that a ferrite bead? The one I used was very small. And ShockSlayer, did you get my package? I'm assuming that you did. :lol:

That is a hardcore ferrite bead. :lol: Those are the easiest to find laying around, so may as well try one.

PalmerTech said:
That is a hardcore ferrite bead. :lol: Those are the easiest to find laying around, so may as well try one.
Ahh, so pretty much all of those things on powercords are ferrite beads? Would anything happen if I took them off? (Other than interference?)

PalmerTech said:
See they ARE everywhere! :mrgreen:

They just smooth out the power, nothing bad will happen.
Ike they have the OH CRAP lightning caps in it or what?I'm totally gonna open one of these up.

palmertech said:
The N64 outputs at 320x240 for most games, and 640x480 for games that use the expansion pack. I know pokemon stadium 2 is not listed on the wikipedia list of games that use it, but it does (On the title screen, near the bottom, it says "Expansion Pack Detected" if you are using one. My guess is that the video encoder cannot handle 320x240, as there is not enough "wiggle room" to scale it at such a low res. I had a 4" DVD player (Unusable, has a huge motherboard) that had this same problem.

I'm not sure if its the screen, here's what I tested a bit today before the backlight messed up(I need to know how to power 5 SMT LEDs in series, by the way) I managed to connect the n64 to it with pokemon stadium and a JUMPER pack and the video was perfect. I'm on to something here...I KNOW WHY THE N64 HAS DIFFERENT VIDEO CHIPS! :o The n64 I was using was a REV 3 (VDC-NUS) and the one I connected today, courtesy of eurddrue, was a REV 5 (AVDC-NUS). I believe that's why they made the different revisions.

Results:
REV 3 (VDC-NUS); Pokemon Stadium 2; Jumper pack = Shaky image problem (also, the logo looked stange, as if it were shaking)
REV 5 (AVDC-NUS); Pokemon Stadium 2; Jumper pack = No problem (logo looked normal)

More later, also I need to figure out howto power 5 SMT LED's in series .

SS

Back