ShockSlayer's X64 Lite WIP Thread!

ßeta said:
How many carts could you fit in ONE cart? You could make an awesome multi cart.

4 smalls, or 2 bigs

So, You could fit either MM and OoT in the same cartridge, or mk64, starfox 64, and 2 other tiny games in there.

SS

You don't think you could fit two side by side? They're pretty thin, and carts are pretty thick. Learn to hit quote instead of edit. :o :lol:

That is when they ARE side by side, packed in as tight as possible.

btw, 12v doesn't go into the cart, its just 2 pins on the slot. All the games I checked had it going to N/C, its there for kicks and giggles.

Idea for switching between games, using a knob, not a switch. Y'know, like on a dryer, or something?

Picture coming of my idea here in a second...

SS

Yes, exactly, like this:

knoblulz.jpg

Now does anyone know where I can get one that does exactly this? :lol:

SS

Uh..... Yep. Think so. That one's 2 pole though, so it's not exactly what you want. You want to one destination with many options. I don't need to explain this to you. You know how it works. I think? :lol:

I think I get it, so being two pole, this'll do the 3.3v contacts...I'd prefer If I could do the 3.3v and GND at the same time....but If I only need one....

SS

The 2pole one only switches between two things. You would need a 3 pole one. But, I still don't understand how this is going to work. The pins on the cart still need to go to their corrosponding places on the. Board.

ShockSlayer said:
keep all the RCP, CPU, and PIF pins connected, and then just switch which cartridge the voltage goes to.

SS
Call me dense, but won't that be hard to do? And have you tried it on a working n64?

It will not work, when you apply voltage to any one cart, the data pins will all interfere. While I have not actually tested this, someone tried it on NES, and on SNES, and I have tried it on a GBA. It will not work without finding a way to isolate all the data pins as well.

Of course, I could be wrong, but unless the N64 is significantly different, I think the same applies. Nothing to lose by trying!

Although I must say, if you only play those games, an iQue would not be a terrible choice, there is a guy who sells them for $90 with Dr. Mario and any other game for free, and $8 a game for as many other games as you want.

The problem is, those data pins also put out a bit of voltage, which will interact with the ICs on the other boards.

Honestly, the only way to know for sure is to try it. :( I know it works on gameboy original games, there must be something that keeps them from messing each other up.

Back