N6t4p WIP

Argelfraster said:
I just noticed my n64 is different than that one in the pic. should i not try to relocate like this?

You'll be fine, but your Audio Connections may be in different places.
Other than that, this applies to all revisions of the N64, as far as we know at least.

jleemero said:
Argelfraster said:
I just noticed my n64 is different than that one in the pic. should i not try to relocate like this?

Other than that, this applies to all revisions of the N64, as far as we know at least.

I never understood what was up with the audio connections.

jleemero said:
Argelfraster said:

I don't know, the chips on my board are laid out differently, and i only have one chip ( closest to the memory expansion ) instead of two.

Argelfraster said:
jleemero said:
Argelfraster said:

I don't know, the chips on my board are laid out differently, and i only have one chip ( closest to the memory expansion ) instead of two.
Yes, that's normal, you have a later revision board, don't worry about it.

Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:
If i wire to those chips i can cut of the section of the n64 where the cart slot originally goes right?

Yes you can. A lot of the board can be done away with, actually. RCP wiring is the only difficult part of getting it down to sixtyfree lite-R size. The other stuff is PAINFULLY simple.
Other stuff=?

ßeta said:
Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:
If i wire to those chips i can cut of the section of the n64 where the cart slot originally goes right?

Yes you can. A lot of the board can be done away with, actually. RCP wiring is the only difficult part of getting it down to sixtyfree lite-R size. The other stuff is PAINFULLY simple.
Other stuff=?
I think he meant connecting the battery and screen.
Ok, wiring to the RCP chip and whatnot went pretty badly, i kept on wiring 3 pins together.
So I will be doing a normal cart slot relocation.
Pics soon.

ßeta said:
Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:

Other stuff=?

Controllers, A/V, power, etc.

I spoke with marshallh about it a while ago (before modretro) and we both agreed that RCP wiring stays the same, PIF stays the same for 1-3, 4-5, and 6-?, and possibly PAL and SECAM (?) If I recall correctly. Of course other things change too.

eurddrue said:
I spoke with marshallh about it a while ago (before modretro) and we both agreed that RCP wiring stays the same, PIF stays the same for 1-3, 4-5, and 6-?, and possibly PAL and SECAM (?) If I recall correctly. Of course other things change too.

I bet that, if he wanted to, he could make one L64 quality portable a month. He knows so much, yet often doesn't apply it to portablizing. What a shame. We need some cool portables. :(

Basement_Modder said:
eurddrue said:

I bet that, if he wanted to, he could make one L64 quality portable a month. He knows so much, yet often doesn't apply it to portablizing. What a shame. We need some cool portables. :(
you seen his new one yet? its l64 quality. ;)

Wow, Marshall's is pretty Dang good. I like the way the carts look in there, and even the super gameboy looks nice in there. Side note, has anyone thought about the prospect of trimming a super gameboy down to fit a smaller size?

bacteria said:
Indeed, his new portable is indeed sweet; however there are more people now getting into vacuum forming these days and can frankly produce similar quality; it isn't like it was when the L64 first came out, and it was a revelation. This year's BH compo will probably have a few such systems by different people I expect.
I'm loving the vacuum-forming. One of the biggest revolutions to come to the console modding scene. perhaps just beneath cart-slot relocation?

On the topic of vacuum-forming, though, it takes more than just a good former to make a nice case, you have to have a good mold. When I first saw yours, I admit I was a bit iffy on it, but then I saw you put a system inside of it and it took away all doubts I had. The beauty of yours is that its customizable to work with many different setups, making semi-mass production viable while it looks like Marshall's may have to do something different for each system. Either way, I really love what vacuum forming has done to the portablizing scene.

The biggest downsize of marshallh's snes portable is that he chose to go with the snes mini vs. a clone, and didn't chop the board down at all :neutral2:

eurddrue said:
The biggest downsize of marshallh's snes portable is that he chose to go with the snes mini vs. a clone, and didn't chop the board down at all :neutral2:

He didn't need to chop it down because the case he made felt comfortable. Also, he has full compatibility.

Basement_Modder said:
eurddrue said:

He didn't need to chop it down because the case he made felt comfortable. Also, he has full compatibility.
:wtf: Chop first, then make the case? And, no, he can't play PAL games ;)

The problem with portables getting better is that something that would be considered good before would now be considered crap. Oh well. Such is the price of progress.

I'm still trying to find a cheap N64.

Back