N6t4p WIP

Hailrazer is totally right. A continuity test mode is INCREDIBLY useful. Sure, you can use ohm testing if you want, but the ability to listen for a beep is such a lifesaver. It makes things like going through and testing your connections a lot more painless. If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting a meter with it.

ShockSlayer said:
Anyways, hail, nobody's perfect. :)
hailrazer said:
I went through three on my Darth64.

I think the reasons were all related to bad 3.3v wiring.

And that darn expansion pack re-location. Aaarrgghhh

I don't want to be the reason you leave. Please forgive my post

Difference is I'm not going around telling people to just "do it right" and they don't even have to check their work. ;)

And I'm pretty sure my 3 fried boards were the results of wrong resistor values in the 3.3v Ti chips. Which was the result of more bad advice from people saying you don't have to check things.

I haven't fried a single N64 since then, because I check everything with a continuity meter and a volt meter BEFORE I turn it on.

That's why I am trying to give people good advice. Tired of reading all these posts about how they fried their N64 and screen and controller.
It's a waste.

But it seems every time I try to be helpful , all I get is people telling me it's a waste of time or money or sacrificial chickens.

Makes a person not want to even try to help anyone anymore.

I'm sorry hail. :cry: I was just pointing out another way to do it if you have a cheap continuity tester.

How about this. Test your continuity tester with a 10 ohm resistor, if it still beeps then it's not a good one, so use the ohm setting or get a new nice meter.

Kay? :cry4:

As people who know what they're doing, sometimes I find it's easiest to just ignore those who question good experience - the act self-denigrates itself, and so doesn't necessitate a negative response. Those who question the dispenser of advice borne of experience deserve neither the advice given or the fruits of their labor, if they ever get there.

I deal with this a lot in my line of work; it's frustrating, but putting on the best smile I can and moving on is the best course of action I've found. They either get there through trial and error, working past those errors they could have avoided had they actually listened to those helping them out, or they don't and end up having to take their advice anyway.

What makes it all worth it in the end is the guy that says THANK YOU, because the advice given steered them in the direction that they needed. When that happens, even if it's only one person here and there, it negates those who failed to be respectful or attentive in the past, because it's a validation of your experience and your skill set gained over time.

I think we could all be a bit more respectful around here as a whole; just because someone does something different doesn't mean we need to flame/degrade them for any reason. Sometimes we find that the ways that are different are ways that work better.

SO Argelfraster, hows your N64P coming along? Is your name for it set in stone? How are the batteries workin out for ya? Are you going to LED mod that screen? How long is the battery life again? Are you going to include the expansion pack? You probably already said that. Is this going to be the smallest one in the world? You probably already said that too. You ganna add a docking station? Will this thing be kickass?

Tchay said:
SO Argelfraster, hows your N64P coming along? Is your name for it set in stone? How are the batteries workin out for ya? Are you going to LED mod that screen? How long is the battery life again? Are you going to include the expansion pack? You probably already said that. Is this going to be the smallest one in the world? You probably already said that too. You ganna add a docking station? Will this thing be kickass?

I'm waiting a bit before I test my n64. Name is not set in stone. Batteries are on their way from battery space. Ill LED mod it if I use a PSone screen, but otherwise no. I will be including an expansion pak, if you looked at the pictures you would see that I wired it right up :awesome:
It wont be the smallest in the world because that's not what I'm shooting for with my first, and I don't know about a docking station.
As for kickass? We'll just have to wait and see.

Back