How-To: Frontlight your Game Boy Color!

My modding experience is extremely limited, Turns out I broke the SP connector after putting on the case due to the wires being too large. I don't have the skills to install an LED without a guide and diffuse it etc, can someone link me to some sort of guide or something please? Also is it possible to just fix the connector on my SP, I thought the quality of that backlight was great while it worked. My negative connector is stuck to my wire rather than on the connector as the wire was large and broke off. Someone mentioned a dremel but I have no idea how that would create another connection.

Thanks

-Refer to my images on either page 6 or 7 if you have no idea what I'm talking about

Yes, if you check on the gameboy pocket link, on the final step [step 5], the dood who made the tutorial says it could work.

Wow i'm glad i found this forum - i had a cracked screen sp and a yellow gbc, now i have a frontlit gameboy color! Thanks for the guide Bibin, i've been meaning to do this for ages. I read somewhere (on Benhecks forums i think) about putting antireflective film directly on the lcd screen to stop the colours washing out with the frontlight. Would this help? The colours do seem a bit faint on Zelda DX. Thanks again :)

Darkstar87 said:
Wow i'm glad i found this forum - i had a cracked screen sp and a yellow gbc, now i have a frontlit gameboy color! Thanks for the guide Bibin, i've been meaning to do this for ages. I read somewhere (on Benhecks forums i think) about putting antireflective film directly on the lcd screen to stop the colours washing out with the frontlight. Would this help? The colours do seem a bit faint on Zelda DX. Thanks again :)
Yes this would definitely help as I asked Bibin this same question earlier. :)

Welcome to the forums!

@Goose: You cannot frontlight without a light guide. It is just not possible, it will be worse than those worm lights they used to sell.

@Darkstar: A good place to find anti-reflective film is to buy an anti-reflective screen protector for a phone, and cut that to size.

@Luiz: What Bibin said.

Thanks for the quick replies BlueLink77 and Palmertech, my only other query is how to cut the diffuser - i think Bibin had best results lighting from the bottom of the screen after cutting the frontlight to fit, but the plastic seems delicate and i wondered if there's a way to minimise the risk of stress fractures or distortion?

Well, what do you know. My GBASP is actually frontlit.

Mind if I post this guide on my site?

BlueLink77 said:
Blurt said:
if i can use the front light for my GBC from my sp can i use the battery too? :o
Yes you can, the GBASP battery will power the GBC very well.

Here's Pkmnjumky7's experience on the matter.
I need to go buy an SP and a GBC! Do you know how he charges it?
Edit: Wouldn't it require a resistor of some form? I don't know anything about batteries. :rolleyes:

Jewjo said:
BlueLink77 said:
Blurt said:
if i can use the front light for my GBC from my sp can i use the battery too? :o
Yes you can, the GBASP battery will power the GBC very well.

Here's Pkmnjumky7's experience on the matter.
I need to go buy an SP and a GBC! Do you know how he charges it?
Edit: Wouldn't it require a resistor of some form? I don't know anything about batteries. :rolleyes:
I've tested this method and the GBC powered up from the GBASP battery. And yeah charging is the only problem. Pkmnjunky7 has several broken SPs, so he charges them using that. One of the reasons I went with a PSP battery is that there is more amperage, so longer battery life, and I could pick up a charger fairly cheap (like $3).

For all my internal battery mods I too use broken GBA SPs as chargers, with a seperate charging port.

Dang, I just did this mod and it was infinitely times easier than the GBP equivalent. Thanks for the guide. Pic(s) now.
Photoon2010-01-10at1717.jpg

Photoon2010-01-10at1718.jpg

There's a lot of dust everywhere, but it's a good first try by my standards. Plus, nothing broke!

Lime Green Front; Purple back; LoZ: LADX. A+

EDIT: It's actually pretty unplayable unless I tilt it to the side a good 45 degrees.
EDIT2: Fixed; it's wonderful now.

Back