How-To: Frontlight your Game Boy Color!

Isn't AGS-003 the model number for the battery? The SP models are AGS-001 (frontlight, the one which will work), and AGS-101 (backlit, the one that won't).

I'm waiting for two broken ones from ebay, Dang you americans ship slowly. I got a beaten up one from ebay as well, only the charge lights don't seem to work. I can't bring myself to destroy a perfectly working screen, though, so it's staying intact :p

lightguard said:
Isn't AGS-003 the model number for the battery? The SP models are AGS-001 (frontlight, the one which will work), and AGS-101 (backlit, the one that won't).

I'm waiting for two broken ones from ebay, Dang you americans ship slowly. I got a beaten up one from ebay as well, only the charge lights don't seem to work. I can't bring myself to destroy a perfectly working screen, though, so it's staying intact :p

Correct.

Use the spare parts to make a very good one!

Also, if you take out the frontlight, the screen is still good, just not lit. It's not like you make it useless!

After using the SP backlight, is there any other type of Mod I can do with the gameboy color with the additional parts remaining? Or is it possible to sell the item on ebay? I bought it as is (broken/issues) It's only problem though is that it doesn't hold a charge I believe.

You could always pro-sound it, and give it a sweet paint job.

Once I get my other SP's, their frontlights are getting jacked for gameboy colours, and the good screen is going into the one with the best case.

if anyone's willing I have an original DMG Gameboy Case and the SP screen for frontlight Gameboy Color mod. I'm looking to have a frontlit GameBoy Color be put inside DMG housing. PM me if interested

Got my (pearl pink :p) broken SP today - first thing I did was crack it open and remove the screen. Then I cracked my platinum one open, pulled out the good screen, and put it in the pink one. Why? The pink case is in much better nick, and the mobo works properly.

In any case, perfectly working SP. Moving on.

Dismantled the broken screen (big black splotch in the corner...), removed the frontlight. Put it in the Colour (was already prepped and ready to go), did a bit of soldering, and WHAM!

Frontlit GBC!

There's a few marks on the screen, though, including a dark spot. Looks like the frontlight needs more cleaning :(

Bibin said:
Eek, disgusting. Why not just shoehorn the GBASP into the DMG case?

Well.....that is more work is it not? I don't have time nor skills for that, if you are willing I can send over parts to you. =)

lightguard said:
Got my (pearl pink :p) broken SP today - first thing I did was crack it open and remove the screen. Then I cracked my platinum one open, pulled out the good screen, and put it in the pink one. Why? The pink case is in much better nick, and the mobo works properly.

In any case, perfectly working SP. Moving on.

Dismantled the broken screen (big black splotch in the corner...), removed the frontlight. Put it in the Colour (was already prepped and ready to go), did a bit of soldering, and WHAM!

Frontlit GBC!

There's a few marks on the screen, though, including a dark spot. Looks like the frontlight needs more cleaning :(

Actually, cleaning will make it worse. It's scratches that cause issues.

101 has a backlight, and backlights don't work with gbc screens. You should buy it anyways, just so if it's a 101, you can still use the backlight for a gameboy pocket or something.

Goose said:
The screen of this one is broken but most likely will the backlight still work if I get it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Game-B...ZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item3efac1e4e3

Or would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Game-Boy-A...ZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item1c0e6d2f5b
it says the light does not come on so I'm not sure if its a general issue with the SP or if the backlight is busted and I can't use it.

If the light is busted, it won't matter - in fact, what I've been doing is installing a new LED so it is brighter anyway.

Aww crap - just recieved one of my SP's, and it's the wrong model. Goddamnit. Maybe I can pull the backlight out and use it for a pocket.

edit: GodDang, that was a luck out - the SP must of been a throw-together trash item from a repairer; the shell is a 101, but the screen is a 001! It has a frontlight, woot!

As a side note, how can you tell the difference between a 001 and a 101 motherboard?

edit edit: Eh, it's a moot point; the motherboard is useless. The cart slot is mutilated, and the volume slider's broken. On the upside, I now have parts to do a battery mod on a GBC :D

edit edit edit: godDang it. the contacts on the orange tab snapped. I wonder if I can sand / scrape back the orange to get to the trace?

edit x 4: Yes! Using a pointed-tip dremel grinder on a low speed exposed the trace, and I can now solder to it!

edit x 5: It works. :D

I've got to clean some adhesive residue off the side of the light guide, and find a proper camera (iPhone won't cut it), and then I'll post pics.

My friend and I are 80% done with the 2 GBCs we are modding. I'll post some pics of the final products.

Back