How-To: Frontlight your Game Boy Color!

A 47Kohm Resistor is a Resistor with a Resistance of 47,000 Ohms.

A 47Omega Resistor is a Flying T-Rex with Lupus.

Maybe what you were intending to say was 47 Mega Ohms? In which case, that'd be 47,000,000 Ohms.

Sorry your response kind of confused me...

Materials:
-A Game Boy Color
-A GBA SP (Make sure the model is AGS-001, not AGS-101); try to get one with a cracked screen
-A bit of wire
-Soldering iron
-A 47Ω Resistor (a bit less or a bit above won't hurt a thing)
-A phillips screwdriver (The + head)
-A tri-wing screwdriver (Like the + head, but with only 3 parts instead of 4)
-Wire cutters or other cutty things

I was just wondering if a 47k resister was the same as the one listed above because thats all I could find. I understand that 47k = 47,000 ohms but I don't really know what Ω(omega, i was too lazy to copy and paste earlier) is. I just want to get the right part to do this mod.

EDIT: I think I figured it out if any one could just confirm this. What I need is a resistor with 47 ohms not 40000. So therefore the color code on the resistor will be Yellow, Violet, Black, and then Gold I guess? I think I was just getting confused by the Ω symbol.

Would a 33 ohms resistor be alright for this too or is it too far off? Because that's the closest one I've got lying around.

That should work fine. Bibin only used 47 because that is all he had lying around, I have told him many times it is overkill. :mrgreen:

Feel the LED with your finger after a minute's use - if it is too hot, then add more resistance. Just to be safe!

25ohm should work fine. Just run it for a while, and see if the LED or the resistor get more than a little warm.

no shorts.. when I remove the light the gameboy turns on fine.

Edit: I found a 100 ohm resistor an now it works!:).

Can 100 damage or is it ok to use that

I have all the parts but an SP, once I get one I'll do this mod. :tophat: A lot of them are pretty overpriced on ebay though.

Back