How-To: Frontlight your Game Boy Color!

One of mine worked and the other didn't.

For the working one, it was working perfectly but when I put the case on properly (nailed in properly) and fitted it the frontlight stopped working although the gbc still worked. Also before it used to launch the GBC games, now it still recognizes that one is inside but does nothing after the Gameboy color intro screen.

Please help.

I took a few pictures so maybe you could help me troubleshoot. The first time I booted up it worker perfectly, and then after that games will not load and the light will not turn on. I discovered that a part was loose the 2nd image cable connection and discovered it has nicked off the connector part of the ribbon and it is now stuck to the cable. Is it broken?

*Click for huge Res pictures.

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5357/dsc01919o.jpg

Is this ribbon broken?
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8914/dsc01920x.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/i/dsc01921p.jpg/

That ribbon is broken, yes. If I were you, I would get a new white LED (a small, SMT-style one) and mount it yourself with glue or tape, to point into the metal bar. The advantage to this is that if you do this, it'll be about 50% brighter in the end.

Bibin said:
That ribbon is broken, yes. If I were you, I would get a new white LED (a small, SMT-style one) and mount it yourself with glue or tape, to point into the metal bar. The advantage to this is that if you do this, it'll be about 50% brighter in the end.
I did this. t worked vey well. Unfortunatly I scratched up the diffusing pannel and had to undo it all. :(

I found that if you break the connectors, you can fix it by using a dremel with a pointy grinding bit (cone shaped) and clear away a contact point on the orange stuff.

It worked for me.

lightguard said:
I found that if you break the connectors, you can fix it by using a dremel with a pointy grinding bit (cone shaped) and clear away a contact point on the orange stuff.

It worked for me.

I'm a noob, can you explain how this is done exactly? I have no idea what a dremel is either :-(.

Also @bibins, I understand where to place that LED if I get it, but I'm not sure how I'd wire it etc. Also can you link me to one.

Sorry for asking so much of you guys but I appreciate the help. I have two failed gbc's that worked initially with frontlight and then broke afterwards.

Well, I finally tried the mod. It was quick and easy but the image quality is extremely bad after the mod. The gratings of the optical wedge are way to far spaced and make the once clear -- but unlit -- GBC image blurry. It's a real shame the optical wedge is of such low quality. I think I would have achieved better results with a lame wormlight.

f00g said:
Well, I finally tried the mod. It was quick and easy but the image quality is extremely bad after the mod. The gratings of the optical wedge are way to far spaced and make the once clear -- but unlit -- GBC image blurry. It's a real shame the optical wedge is of such low quality. I think I would have achieved better results with a lame wormlight.

The issue is that it is not aligned properly. If aligned properly, and a new LED is installed, it looks like this:

Screenshot2009-10-07at110340PM.png

If you really want the highest quality, though, you'll cut the panel to fit, and not rotate it. The GBC has never once become blurry after doing the mod. Are you sure you're not just trolling here?

Bibin said:
f00g said:

The issue is that it is not aligned properly. If aligned properly, and a new LED is installed, it looks like this:

If you really want the highest quality, though, you'll cut the panel to fit, and not rotate it. The GBC has never once become blurry after doing the mod. Are you sure you're not just trolling here?

I have also tried cutting the wedge to shape and fitting it in front of the LCD with the light coming from the bottom. I must admit that it improves the quality a bit (no more coloured stripes) but it is still somewhat blurry and dim depending on the viewing angle. However, I have not yet tried a stronger LED. I guess I could just overdrive the current LED for a while with a ~25R instead of the 47R.

f00g said:
Bibin said:
f00g said:

I have also tried cutting the wedge to shape and fitting it in front of the LCD with the light coming from the bottom. I must admit that it improves the quality a bit (no more coloured stripes) but it is still somewhat blurry and dim depending on the viewing angle. However, I have not yet tried a stronger LED. I guess I could just overdrive the current LED for a while with a ~25R instead of the 47R.

The most recent light I did I cut as well - it strongly helps the quality. I've never had it be blurry; it's still been exceptionally sharp. With the stock LED, it looks like crap, I'll give you that.

Bibin said:
Don't, just replace the LED. It'll look better too.

The thing is, I have no idea what type of LED to get some are like $40 others are like $2 for the SMT. Could you possibly link me to one? Also I'm not really sure how to do it. I used the guide to do it with the SP but I have no idea what to do once I get the LED.

I'm new to this. I -just- created an account to post a few questions.

Okay, so I've got my gbc, taken aparat and all. I want to use some sort of lighting. What's the difference between frontlit and backlit screens? Other than the obvious fact one is frontal, the other is behind.

I do have some sort of a light strip.. thing that was used to light up a screen. NOT a DS / GBASP or anything, just a small screen. The light strip turned on using a 9 volt battery, havent tried two AA batteries. But, would I need the AR Film? Back up a sec...

AR film is the plastic transparent screen used to 'direct the light', right? If so, do I really need that? I cant just attach the light strip onto the GBC screen?

Lastly, what resistor would I need to use?

100_1645.jpg

100_1646.jpg

100_1638.jpg

as you can clearly see, the light srtip is longer than the screen itself. Can I trim / cut it, and still have it work?

Thanks to ANYONE who answers!

P.S. I didnt think the pics would be GIANT. :O

The Ar film is a AntiReflective film that helps the screen not get washed out by the frontlight. You don't "have" to have it but it sure makes it look a heck of a lot better.

Back