Forum Suggestion Box

I suggest you shouldn't have been unbanned, palmer banned you for doing something he told us all not to do which you did anyway and you deserved it.

pLover said:
Oh. Well you should still put the chat back up.

Haven't you read anything on why its down in the first place?

jleemero said:
To everyone who hasn't bothered to actually read anything we've all said up until this point. (Drue.)

The chat is fine.
Right now, it's lagging horribly, but there's nothing we can do about it.
It's caused by the server we're on.
We are hosted with HostGator, which, as many of you know, I hate with a fiery passion.
Our site is on the same server as over 200 other websites.
Now, admittedly, it's part of a big Holy-Freaking-God Expensive Jesus-Christ-HowManyProcessors MoreRamThanYouHaveHarddriveSpace Ungodly Rack Server.
But, it's still 200 other people.
And guess what? A chatroom like that eats processing power.
Oh, not a whole lot really.
But think about this, even if it were, say, 5%.
That's 5% from 1 of 200 people. That's a lot for 1 person, or 1 site to be using.
Chances are, due to our high usage of the chatroom, they scaled our access, and now we're allotted less CPU usage.

There is absolutely nothing we can do about it.
For now.

ShockSlayer said:
Chat will be back when it ceases to lag. I check frequently, and the lag has yet to disappear. According to Palmer hostgator hates us.

SS
Isn't there something the admins can do about HostGator? Even if there isn't, why not make a new link?

Also, lag isn't THAT bad.

Oh, mine seemed fine.

What CAUSES the lag, though? Why can't we just get rid of it, or make a new AJAX chat?

Me and Jlee have discussed it, and will continue to do so. I called HostGator, but whatever throttling there is, is done automatically, and none of the low branch techs I can manage to get on the phone can do anything.

We have a lot of options, and I want the chatroom back just as much as you guys, so don't worry. ;)

I say we make a $300 donation drive for a dedicated server. 3 months of dedicated server goodness.

Back