Forum Suggestion Box

Zero said:
Also, there aren't necessarily spambots doing the actual registration. Someone could easily sign up and then tell the bot to use that sign in info, or it could just be some poor underpaid Chinese spammer doing it himself.

They are going to register anyway, which is why I say we go with my idea. It shouldn't really affect normal members, but it'll suck for spammers.

Is it just me, or since China's been banned aren't more of the bots using Chinese characters in their posts? :lol:

I'm thinking that our anti-communism posts have enraged the Chinese bots. They're getting pretty active.

Maybe they are from Hong Kong or Macau, where the internet censorship laws don't apply. :p

ShockSlayer said:
Internet...censorship...???

Yes, China censors the internet by blocking access to certain websites from within the country. Its nothing new. :p

Can we have a feature implemented that once a post has been flagged, it's marked easily as so in the post or topic? This way, is easy to know if a spambot has been reported or not.

zeturi said:
Can we have a feature implemented that once a post has been flagged, it's marked easily as so in the post or topic? This way, is easy to know if a spambot has been reported or not.
This would be great. I second this idea.

Yeah, you always go into a thread, not knowing if it's been reported or not. Even if it has had views, it's not always flagged.

Would probably be easier to just report an entire user, but that would require a mod I'm sure.

I have an idea of how to help prevent spambots from spewing crap into the forums.

How about, when someone creates an account, there is an automatic PM sent to them. It asks, "BOT ARE YOU?"

If they reply, because I don't believe bots have the ability to reply, then they should be okay. But if they do not reply within a day or two, automatic ban. BOOM

If for some reason they aren't a bot and don't reply to the message, then they'll just need to make a new account.

Eh... I don't know if I'd reply to a random PM I got upon joining that said "BOT ARE YOU?" I'd just wonder "what the Heck" and move on.

Honestly, I think some old-fashioned admin/mod verification of new users should occur; tedious when you're getting a bunch of new members, but that's how we did it in the old days.

robm said:
Honestly, I think some old-fashioned admin/mod verification of new users should occur; tedious when you're getting a bunch of new members, but that's how we did it in the old days.
That's kinda biased against people like me who have a spamebotish name with out being spambots, also, the RUBOT thing would have me wondering and not responding too and I'm pretty sure at least a few people just delete the "Welcome" messages because they are rather sure that they joined a forum.

So, something that would be nice to see: an Old News forum of sort... I'm not saying that a finished project stops mattering or anything, but I, like other people hope to see something new when opening the finished projects forum, not topics that are months old being bumped back up from oblivion. I propose a subsection in the Finished Projects section for any thread that has about a month of inactivity on it. It would still be open for contributions, but it would keep old stuff off of the top of the list, which would make me happy and keep the necroflaming down in that section.

ttsgeb said:
So, something that would be nice to see: an Old News forum of sort... I'm not saying that a finished project stops mattering or anything, but I, like other people hope to see something new when opening the finished projects forum, not topics that are months old being bumped back up from oblivion. I propose a subsection in the Finished Projects section for any thread that has about a month of inactivity on it. It would still be open for contributions, but it would keep old stuff off of the top of the list, which would make me happy and keep the Basement_Modder being a douche down in that section.
That sounds like a good idea, actually.

viewtopic.php?p=81756#p81756
more proof that it's a good idea. Old news is old news regardless of if it's still cool.

ALSO, JD, you confused me, I thought you were Afro at first and was like WTF, Afro thinks an idea is good? HUH!? and then I looked closer and you aren't Afro, so I was like KK, makes sense.

But yes, this would take almost 30 seconds to implement, the hard part is sorting, which can probably be mostly handled by a mass move command of some sort (I haven't used phpBB, so IDK).
I think immediate implementation with the sorting spanning any time period would be good and feasible. It's just a matter of if it's actually a good idea. Think of all the threads that could eventually be unlocked!

Back