Anyone Use an Alternative Cell Phone Provider?

vskid3

I'm looking into switching to a low cost provider like Ting or Republic Wireless. Both run off of Sprint's network (which is ok where I live), Ting being super flexible and Republic Wireless being super cheap ($20 a month/line). It would be 2 smartphones generally using <500 minutes, 4000 texts, and 1.5-2.5GB of data a month (could be less but my wife's current phone doesn't like wifi for some reason). We're currently paying about $160 a month for unlimited talk and text with 4GB of shared data with Verizon. I've looked into prepaid a bit, but none of them seem to really fit and be any cheaper.

Has anyone had any experience with any low cost providers, particularly Ting or Republic Wireless? Any recommendations?

I've heard good things about Straight Talk, assuming TMo coverage is good on your area. As someone who used Sprint for 4 years, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Straight Talk does both AT&T and T-Mobile and works pretty well, I used to use them. The only problem is they don't like it when you go over 2-3gb in a month (sometimes they care, sometimes they don't). Simple Mobile is cheaper and basically the same deal, but it's T-Mobile only.

Like Abyss said, avoid anything that uses Sprint. Your internet speeds will be dreadfully slow. It's okay for emails and light web browsing, but that's about it. Also keep in mind that Republic makes you buy their phone in order to use their service.

Edit: Also, T-Mobile has a plan that is unlimited text/data (5GB 4G before they throttle you down), with 100 min. for $35/mo. If you don't use a lot of min. or are okay with using VOIP, it could be an option. Iirc, the plan is exclusive to Walmart, so you'd have to sign up online or in one of their stores.

Hm, Straight Talk might work. Some reviews I've found rank the service in El Paso from best to worst as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Being able to use the AT&T network seems like it would be a good compromise of price vs service availability. Pretty much everyone I work with that has Verizon or AT&T don't have any issues, but the couple with Sprint say it can be pretty bad (don't know of anyone with T-Mobile).
The fact that the only phone Republic currently has is spec'd like its 3 years old has been one thing holding me back from giving it a shot. I read a review that said some newer phones should be available in a few months, but that article is now several months old. :confused:
That unlimited text/data T-Mobile plan looks like it could be the way to go, if I had more input on how the service is around here. I'll have to see what kind of return/test period they have. I have the GrooveIP app that I've used in the past when I've had limited minutes or was out of the country, so 100 minutes should be enough.

I'm thinking of trying the T-Mobile plan for a month or two to see what the coverage is like. My wife has a garbage Android phone that she used to use with T-Mobile, but I would like to be able to see how the 4g is, too. I'm thinking of getting either a Lumia 521 or Nexus 4 to test it, any suggestions?

Don't know much about Windows Phone, but the plus side on the N4 is that if the coverage doesn't work out you can still use it with an ATT based provider without worrying about unlocking it. Also, iirc you can use the N4 with T-Mobile's new LTE network (double check me on that though) although I don't think it's supported officially. I have T-Mobile with LTE in my city and I gotta say it's pretty fast.

However, more than likely Google will release the successor to the N4 within the next few months, so it's up to you on if it's worth it to wait or if you just want the current model.

T-Mobile unlimited text, data, and 100 minutes of talk is all I need. $30 a month "exclusive" to wal-mart.
PROTIP: Just buy a new SIM and you can get the plan when you sign up with it online.

I found a guy at work who has T-Mobile and he says the coverage is pretty good. So I'm probably going to go with the $30 plan they offer. I'm still not sure about phones, though. Nexus 4 will probably be the route we go if we get new, but I'll have to check the prices for used phones. I have some time to search, I need to wait til I have some spare cash to pay for the dang early termination fees. :neutral2: Anyone know if Verizon will give you some kind of credit if you give them your phone when you cancel?

Nexus 4 and SIM arrived yesterday. Activation and picking the $30 unlimited plan on T-Mobile's site was painless (some people have had problems with Nexus 4's on that plan, maybe they've changed something). I don't have LTE working yet, but HSPA+ coverage seems good enough. In my house it kinda sucks, but I use wifi at home anyway and the voice coverage is good. Coverage at work is good, hopefully LTE will make it even better.
Now I just need to get my wife a Nexus, port our numbers, and tell Verizon to suck it. :mrgreen:

Re:

Abyss said:
Nexus 4s don't have LTE, yo.
Yes they do, just not officially. Only works with T-Mobile's LTE and iirc ATT's in a very small handful of cities. Look up a guide on how to do it.

vskid, I just remembered T-Mobile actually has a wifi calling feature. I'm not sure if it's available with your plan and if you'd have to flash a special ROM or something to use it on the Nexus 4, but if you can do it then you can fix the reception at home and save your minutes.

Re: Re:

Zero said:
vskid, I just remembered T-Mobile actually has a wifi calling feature. I'm not sure if it's available with your plan and if you'd have to flash a special ROM or something to use it on the Nexus 4, but if you can do it then you can fix the reception at home and save your minutes.
It looks like the Nexus 4 A) doesn't officially support wifi calling and B) it uses your minutes on prepaid plans (from what I've found). :(

I went to order my wife a Nexus 4 and they're sold out on Google Play. FUUUU! Everywhere else seems to be pretending that Google didn't drop the price by $100. It wouldn't be so bad if Google had announced the release date and price for the Nexus 5, but now I don't know how long I'll have to wait. :wtf:

Back