PSP-1001's mobo fixed with TOASTER [Update: It's Dead]

Aguiluz

(Now, let me try this new writing style.)
--------------

Kid forgets PSP in Jacket.

Jacket goes to washing machine.

Washing machine washes Jacket and PSP.

PSP will turn on for 1 second and power off.

Angry kid drops PSP 4 feet high.

I obtain PSP 1000 from him.

I wash motherboard with soft water, scrubbing off soap crap with old toothbrush.

I dry motherboard and the daugherboard (WiFi/MS) on a clothesline.

Motherboard and daughterboard is hanged on clothesline until dry.

Motherboard reassembled. No dice.

I discover that the impact jostled the WiFi switch and Power Switch.

Me thought that impact might have jostled the microchips too.

I use my finger to press down on one microchip. PSP working!

I lift my finger. PSP dead.

[[TRIAL 1]]

I wrap motherboard in foil. I perforate foil to expose microchip with QFN type package (?).

I throw motherboard in toaster for 15 minutes.

I let motherboard cool undisturbed for 10 minutes.

I try reassemble. Work and boot for 30 second and hang.

I apply pressure on other microchip. PSP hang no more.

[[TRIAL 2]]

I wrap motherboard in foil. I perforate foil to expose microchip with BGA underneath.

I try reassemble.

Uh-oh. PSP green light turns on for 1 second and turns off. No screen.

[[TRIAL 3]]

I wrap motherboard with foil, covering the side that faces up.

I expose a vast majority of the board, exposing GPU, CPU, the two chips, everything.

I cover plastic parts like UMD sensor, IR port, USB port, battery port, etc.

I try reassemble.

It works, asks me to set time, gets to XMB and launches ISO game as UMD drive is kaput.
(Won't read my UMDs)

Aguiluz has big smile on face.

(Video of reflow and test coming up.)

Re: How I fixed PSP-1001's motherboard with TOOTHBRUSH & TOASTER

What made you think to try this? There's a similar trick that you can do with xbox 360s.

Oh yeah and GOOD JOB.

Who woulda thought of that?

zeturi said:
What made you think to try this? There's a similar trick that you can do with xbox 360s.

Oh yeah and GOOD JOB.

I thought that if the oven trick can fix an RROD'd 360, it would work for this PSP because the RROD is commonly the solder balls breaking. And since this kid dropped (intentionally) his PSP to a brick stone floor and I saw the switches for the WiFi and Power partially break off, I thought that the connections that hold the chips to the board are partially broke too, like an RROD'd 360 and a YLOD'd PS3. Using an oven would be overkill, so I just used a toaster.

And thank you. ^^

EDIT: Also, the PSP seemed to be opened before, as the warranty seal is gone, and the clip that holds the LCD data cable is broken. There was a used band-aid placed to hold the LCD ribbon cable, complete with blood-stained gauze. YUCK!

:eek: ... now you should seal it back up and sell it.

PSP-1001: Refurbished

I can see it now :p

Antome said:
PSP-1001: Refurbished

I can see it now :p
:facepalm: Used PSP-1000 lol
Neat trick and good job. and Who puts a bloody band aid in a psp? :lol:

There is another trick with the 360 where you just turn it on while wrapped in a bunch of towels, so essentially it cooks itself. Very unreliable though. And good job with the toaster and the new writing style. I enjoyed reading it muches. :awesome:

Alas, the PSP-1000 is dead. I was playing that DJ game on the PSP and the screen just went blank. When I turn it on, still a blank screen. I opened it up, and I cringed at what a terrible sight: One IC has overheated so much that it warped the circuit board around it, making a "crater" with the stricken chip at the center of the pit. The main fuse and the backlight fuse is blown, I've jumped them. When I applied the power, all that happened is the chip in the middle of the "crater" started heating, getting hotter and hotter to the point of it being painful to the touch, at which, the power is lost, and the rest is silence... :cry4:

Well, look on the bright side, all the parts aside from the mobo and UMD drive is functional, so nothing more than a new mobo can't fix.

catsaiyan said:
what game was being played in the video?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Max_Portable

Note that even if I failed the level, mind you that I am on an uncomfortable position with the camera pinched in the middle of my legs. I could easily complete that song (Road of Death 6B-HARD) first thing in the morning.

Also, video pulled. I'm receiving stupid PMs over that video...

I've returned the PSP-1000 to the kid, he was bit saddened that the repair didn't last, but he "kudoed" me in getting it to work, at least temporarily. He needs a new Mobo, and he can install that himself.

Also, I was NOT using the super-battery I built at the time of failure. I was using his battery, with the charger plugged in.

mako321 said:
Me failed.

What?

Just for the sake of guests/other members who will view this thread, I'll reupload the video as unlisted and post it here when I'm done.

I'll turn off comments and ratings so I won't get annoying comments.

EDIT: Reupped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EeRxoV3Dno

If anyone wonders what game I was playing at the end, It's DJMAX Portable. A rare 2005 South Korean game that I'm hunting down.

Back