The "I don't know where I'm going with this" Cube

I finally feel as though I've made sufficient enough progress to post a worklog. As you may be able to guess by the title, I don't have a clear vision for the future of my first portable. My ultimate goal is just to finish it.

While this started as a small project, I've set some more ambitious goals for myself recently. Here are photos of various Gamecubes I initially planned on using.

LhFx3pll.jpg

tiMN9eRl.jpg

I even wired a WASP to that one...

And finally, the board I plan on using as of now:
rDQ7puhl.jpg

Don't worry, the wiring will change.

I used a hybrid cut between the AlmostWTF and Medium cut.
IKC7GAYl.png

= Medium cut line
= AlmostWTF cut line
= My hybrid cut

I did this to avoid relocating the caps, and to make it a neat rectangle. (Less sides = less chances to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up?)
I'm assuming I won't have to relocate any of the caps, but if I'm wrong please let me know.

Luckily, it worked on the first try. (Or at least the screen turns on.)
With such a small board, I now plan to make this a very decent portable. (Batteries, good screen, small size, etc.)

More updates coming after I wire up the WASP and a controller.

Small Update 8/28/15

I started work on the controller board, buttons, and brainstorming the case.

Here are some flaxty smartphone pics of what I've got so far:
VvaGWpgm.jpg
LQom8Jzm.jpg

Not much to say other than acknowledge my lack of desk space, and that I've got a seemingly working controller board (though I've only tested one button).

I've hit a dead end where I can't make much progress other than testing to see if stuff works. I'm in desperate need of an enclosure so I can start making parts fit rather than randomly soldering flax to the board. This is my current plan.

wWRPmjJ.png

This cheap little (not very little) toaster oven can heat up to 450F and should be perfect for a somewhat compact vacuum forming station. Already have a powerful shop vac, and plan on buying some wood at my local Home Depot for the vacuum forming table, frame, and enclosure mold.

I should be getting an IBM 380z heatsink/fan within a week (unless the sketchy site from which I bought it decided to steal my debit card info), so I'll hopefully be able to use it instead of the stock heatsink.

Oh, and I bought this screen:
nul0P79.png

Nice job on the FFC to wire adapter in that second pic, only a select few have the patience to do that ;) .

They should make ffc to bare wire adapters. I bet people would buy those

Is that the same size ffc connector? If so then WHY HAS NOBODY PUT THIS IN THE STICKIES?!?!?

You have to be careful if you use those though, I bought this one and I had no idea the pinout was proprietary to another device. It has pins connected together and some pins not connected at all.

kgxbc.jpg

legofan623 said:
You have to be careful if you use those though, I bought this one and I had no idea the pinout was proprietary to another device. It has pins connected together and some pins not connected at all.

kgxbc.jpg

Which is why you should have just bought a MEGAdrive, way better in my opinion. Installed a MEGAdrive no problems, tried to used one of those break out boards, never worked. So I won't go back to anything but those. Hands down the best to buy when installing a WKF/WASP on your cube.

Oh, and OP, good to see that some people can pull this off, too. It was Heck when I did mine. I went thru maybe 2 ffc ribbons before I actually got one to work. Patience is the key on those.

This is simply the best name for a portable ever.

"I don't know where I'm going with this"
"But I'm pretty sure I'll be playing my GameCube on the way"

Take a big chunk of epoxy putty and chew until it starts to get warm.
With a soldering iron in one hand and a dremel in the other, close your eyes, and begin furiously slashing at electronics components on your desk.
Spit epoxy putty every few seconds.
When you are finished, it should be comparable to this this

Small Update 8/28/15

I started work on the controller board, buttons, and brainstorming the case.

Here are some flaxty smartphone pics of what I've got so far:
VvaGWpgm.jpg
LQom8Jzm.jpg

Not much to say other than acknowledge my lack of desk space, and that I've got a seemingly working controller board (though I've only tested one button).

I've hit a dead end where I can't make much progress other than testing to see if stuff works. I'm in desperate need of an enclosure so I can start making parts fit rather than randomly soldering flax to the board. This is my current plan.

wWRPmjJ.png

This cheap little (not very little) toaster oven can heat up to 450F and should be perfect for a somewhat compact vacuum forming station. Already have a powerful shop vac, and plan on buying some wood at my local Home Depot for the vacuum forming table, frame, and enclosure mold.

I should be getting an IBM 380z heatsink/fan within a week (unless the sketchy site from which I bought it decided to steal my debit card info), so I'll hopefully be able to use it instead of the stock heatsink.

Oh, and I bought this screen:
nul0P79.png

where did you happen to find the heatsink/fan if you don't mind me asking? it's been awhile since I've searched for one

After someone had stolen my debit card info, I was quite shocked to find this in the mail today:
s8v7g9km.jpg
XiouiAVm.jpg

Turns out the guys selling these are legit and aren't just trying to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* you over.
As you can see, this thing is tiny yet would cover a similar area on the Gamecube.

Only problem is this:
ObQf0A0m.jpg

That protrusion on the bottom will definitely interfere with the connection to the motherboard. How should I go about removing it? Just dremel at it until smooth?

Use a grind wheel if you have one or ask around if you think any of your friends might have one. Trying to Dremel it is such a pain and if you use a flat edge of the grinding wheel it'll come out nice and smooth.

Back