My First GCp Project!

Cllinw

Hello, everyone. After numerous questions and gathering parts, I'm finally ready to start working on my first GCp build.

The basic things will be included. 5" screen, trimmed GC and controller mobos, Sd Gecko and 1000 block men card on slot A, Wasp Fusion flashed with Swiss, and maybe batteries if this goes smoothly. I plan to put in a switch for the lid so I can play multi-disk games and a USB port to use an external controller adapter as well. I don't have a case currently but RedmagnusX has graciously giving me the opportunity of get a casing printed from him, so I'm open to suggestions of a design, if anyone has anything they think would be cool. I was actually thinking a gamecube mini design with a clamshell screen, but if that's too complicated something simple like a design like lyberty5's WiiCube Fusion would be cool as well. Basically I'm just saying since this is my first build im open to suggestions.

Anyways, here are some pics of the 3 big pieces of this build. The screen, controller and GC mobo.

169g6dd.jpg

2ia5sfn.jpg

2jb7a82.jpg

wko5lg.jpg

So I have a few questions about a few things still.
1. The screen menu itself has the option to change the volume, could I wore up speakers to it and avoid an audio amp?
2. I'm thinking about making a clamshell portable, if possible. Could anyone tell me of hinges that work, since I've seen them on things like Ashen's and SS's wii portables.

And lastly, I'd just like to say thank you to Blargaman91 and RedmagnusX for putting up with my noobiness and Blargaman specifically for the beautiful work on the controller and GC mobos.

UPDATE 7/31:
Got my HDMX speakers today and got those taken apart. I don't have a solder sucker to use so I plan on just cutting the board, and wiring it so I don't need to press the power button. Will that be enough? Is there a way I could des older the cables and switches without a solder sucker?

Also, first big problem of this project: I was just about to start really working on this thing when I realized that I bought a 60w soldering iron. Is 60w too much for wiring stuff onto the motherboard? Will I kill it when one this high? This is actually something I never asked about so I'm sorry if it seems extremely noobish of me.

UPDATE 8/3:

Did some work on the design and figured out a name for this project.

First the work on the design:

I drew up the measurements of the case to scale and wanted to get some second opinions on the sets I have to choose from for controllers.

34plzlj.jpg

First, the original buttons. Only thing I'm worried with this set is the fact that the buttons and analog sticks will need the portable to be deeper and add thickness along with it.
2q3166f.jpg

Secondly, using official 3DS slider caps and buttons. Probably my favorite set since it gives an authentic "nintendo could've made this" feel to it in my opinion. Only downside is the buttons feel a lot smaller.
o6bak2.jpg

And lastly, using PSP slider caps and Wii U Gamepad buttons. This is basically the same as the last set just to give the buttons and sliders a bigger feel.

If any one has any suggestions as to which controller set I should use, I'm all ears. I'd be ok with any of them and I cant choose.

Anyways, down to buisness. After spending a whopping 20 minutes at the dinner table thinking of a name I thought of a cool one.

THE D.M.G.C

The Dolphin Mobilized Game Cube

I thought it was pretty cool but I just thought about if the name is already taken. So if anyone knows please tell me.

I'm doing more design work at the moment trying to fit things into a 5" by 7" box to see if it will all work. Thinking about skipping batteries for this and making a giant battery pack out of the original power brick. Other than that might be awhile before big progress starts to come.

Clinw, after reading some of your questions, I was really hoping that I would see you start your portable, glad I got to see this Topic. Good luck! :D

If you want confirmation you could probably ask shockslayer on one of his livestreams. And as so weather speakers will work with the screen it's truly just a matter of wiring speakers to it and seeing if it works :p

UPDATE 7/31:
Got my HDMX speakers today and got those taken apart. I don't have a solder sucker to use so I plan on just cutting the board, and wiring it so I don't need to press the power button. Will that be enough? Is there a way I could des older the cables and switches without a solder sucker?

Also, first big problem of this project: I was just about to start really working on this thing when I realized that I bought a 60w soldering iron. Is 60w too much for wiring stuff onto the motherboard? Will I kill it when one this high? This is actually something I never asked about so I'm sorry if it seems extremely noobish of me.

60 watts is a lot for sensitive data lines. It should be okay as long as you're very careful but it is a risk.

Cllinw said:
The screen menu itself has the option to change the volume, could I wire up speakers to it and avoid an audio amp?
Someone tried to do that before, I think with a similar screen, and discovered that the board lacks the necessary components for audio. I'm not sure myself but I think your screen probably doesn't have audio capabilities. Still try though.

Blargaman91 said:
I'm not sure myself but I think your screen probably doesn't have audio capabilities. Still try though.
The screen itself can take in composite video and VGA, no audio cables at all. Could I possibly hook up the amp from the HDMX and have it controlled through that?

Also, I'd like a little bit more insight on adhesives. I've talked to Blargaman and Redmagnus about this but I'd like to hear what other have to say as well. What type of adhesives should I get and what brand should I focus on. I play on getting some artic silver 2 for the heatsink and then some epoxy and super/hot glues. Does anyone have anything they'd think would be helpful? This is my first project so sorry if this all sounds a little too nooby.

The_Next_Guy said:
What are the part numbers on the 3 SOIC-8 chips?
The what? I'm sorry but I don't know what those are. Could you maybe point it out through the picture?

Blargaman91 said:
Those unused pads on the top left and right of the board look like speaker connectors.
But the display doesn't accept audio input to it so would I have to wire an amp up to it? How would I connect the speakers to display board and the GC itself to make it work?

You see the black chip above the left jack with 4 pins coming out each side? I want the part number for all of those chips that look like that.

The_Next_Guy said:
You see the black chip above the left jack with 4 pins coming out each side? I want the part number for all of those chips that look like that.
XL140E1 4 3073

ATMEL316 24C16N SU27 D

Pm25L9010 CE1345 HDF2NL5

I'm pretty sure those are the part numbers for each. They are very tiny so I had to put on some magnifying glasses and I could still barely make them out.

As far as google tells me and prior knowledge, none of those are audio ICs.
One is eprom(Pm25L9010 CE1345 HDF2NL5) another is an Atmel MCU(ATMEL316 24C16N SU27 D) and the other I have no idea.

The_Next_Guy said:
As far as google tells me and prior knowledge, none of those are audio ICs.
One is eprom(Pm25L9010 CE1345 HDF2NL5) another is an Atmel MCU(ATMEL316 24C16N SU27 D) and the other I have no idea.
So I won't be able to wire up speakers to the board to use the volume menu?

Back