Kyle's adventure installing microxp (wireless not working)

kylechu

So, I finally got microxp to recognize my hard drive, and learned a little bit about nLite. Horray!

Now I have more issues. The first is that I do not know how to set it up to dual boot. It booted straight into there until I used my repair disc to get it to boot to win7.

The second and biggest issue is that wireless isn't working. I installed the XP drivers from asus, it will see the networks, but it goes from "acquiring network address" to not connected, and then says automatic. How can I fix this?

Re: Kyle's adventure installing microxp (wireless not workin

MicroXP is a real pain in the ass. TinyXp is almost as fast, and way more stable. As for dual booting, depends on how you have our drives set up, and whether your chipset has a bootmenu.

Just install plain old regular XP, or make your own version with Nlite. The prefab chopped-down copies of XP you find online are sketchy. If you had to fiddle with it to get it to "recognize your hard drive", then it's missing the drivers for your SATA controller and probably all your other hardware as well. XP by itself runs fine unless you're trying to run it on something completely ridiculous like an 800 mhz Cyrix with 128 MB of RAM.

As for dual booting, the bootloader for XP overwrote 7's bootloader. You'll have to boot off your Windows 7 install media and repair the bootloader using that. It should pick up on the XP partition. Once you've done that and have rebooted again, it should spit out a menu asking if you want to boot into Windows 7 or a "previous version of Windows". (You should be able to rename the "previous version" entry in MSCONFIG under the Boot tab.)

I now have microxp working, and it's doing pretty well. TF2 is now playable and HL2 looks great. The only issue is that my wifi will disconnect me about 5 minutes after it connects. I've read on the internet that WZC is what causes this, but I'm not sure if that's it, or how to solve if if that's the problem. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Back