Cut board seems to not be working correctly

Joeyjoe9876

Frequent Poster
I've gotten this board to boot up twice after cutting it, both times on accident and I'm not quite sure how i did it. the chips do get hot when turned on, but I'm getting no video or audio signals even when connected to the chip, wiikey doesn't seem to boot up, only did on those two times i got the board working. when the board did work on those two times, it seemed if i moved the board that it would freeze up and that maybe something had shorted on the top of the board to get it working.. I'm pretty stumped here, never had this happen after cutting before..

66c872b1.jpg

e0df1d5f.jpg

9bf4ccc8.jpg

325d7c56.jpg

bc9ddeb7.jpg

6217b186.jpg

ef7be140.jpg

Re: Cut board seems to be working correctly

Take some sand paper and sand the edges as much as possible. You want the edges to look smooth and clean. If that doesn't work, clean the pins of every chip with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.

Blow compressed air on the main chips to clean some metalic dusts that may be causing some shorts. And like Bud said, sanding the edges of the board is of greater importance, as the MB have four layers. I've had the same problem with mine and sanding the edges solved the problem.

Also, keep in mind, if you did not sand the edges PRIOR to turning on the system, you may have killed the board.

I've had some boards in the passed that actually fried because the internal layers bridged.

Now, this happens only 25% of the time, I would say, because in most cases, its just a ground bridging which you can sand away and then have the board turn on again. But sometimes, you get an area that goes to one of the main chips and fries the whole board.

Always sand the edges thoroughly before powering the board.

Your second to last picture is what I am worried about. thats close to several seperate layers of the mobo that go to different places. And those edges look jagged.

Probably In an iron skillet filled with 3 pounds of lard after having marinated the board overnight in a lovely White Wine and Herbed Lemon sauce.

But, you never know, He could prove me wrong.

what I'm completely stumped about is that it had actually worked twice, several hours apart from each time. And all of the sides have been sanded down very well. the jagged area was actually like that due to cutting with the saw. it has been sanded down though. Guess i'll try sanding it down more tomorrow and see how that works out.

Back