tiago's PS2p build

The wire you soldered needs to be a tact switch to simulate the reset button. I'm not sure if soldering it closed will do the same.

I'm not familiar if tact switches are different that other switches, but if the original switch was always open then you're basically doing what a constantly closed switch does and it's not powering up because the PS2 is stuck in a reset state.

Try unsoldering that wire from at least one end.

If you have a multimeter, check the original tact switch and see whether it is close when depressed or not.

Yeah i assumed the tact switch was like any other regular on/off switch but after thinking for a bit i realized that can't be the case. I just hope i didn't kill the motherboard with my trimming.

Update

Console tested working after trimming!

I cut the wire i had previously soldered and momentarily touched the two ends to turn on the console. Then if you join them momentarily again console resets (fan briefly slows down) and if joined for 1 or 2 seconds it turns off. So it's just as the original switch works.

Here's a small video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyfrIU-7Ug

Next step will be to solder one of my free mcboot memory cards on port 2 and order a 128mb card for port 1. I still don't have a screen or controls to test though...

Questions:

- I have to start thinking of a 4::3: ratio screen. Anyone knows of an ebay screen that will run on 7.4v or less? Has to be in Europe/UK. 4" to 5".

- What about USB sticks? I've seen somewhere someone saying different brands of sticks can be faster or slower even if the PS2 only supports USB 1.1. Any reccomendation? What about using a USB to SD adapter? Would that be better or worse?

Update

So, i've wired an 8mb Sony memory card with FMCB to a IDE cable. Ready to solder on the motherboard. What would be the best way of soldering memory cards on the motherboard? Hotglued to the bottom of the motherboard near the port? Or on the top of the motherboard? I guess the best place would be on top of the board where the cards would be hidden in the bulk of the other components therefore not adding thickness. Or should i wait until i have the rest of the build taken care of and then shove the memory cards in another place?

K6OCd0vh.jpg

Putting it over the dragon chip seems like the best spot on the top side, otherwise just find a nice unpopulated section of bottom and lay the card on it's back, adhere where necessary. Just make double sure, and be extra careful not to confuse the wires when you solder them, you could burn out your card.

Lightning said:
Putting it over the dragon chip seems like the best spot on the top side, otherwise just find a nice unpopulated section of bottom and lay the card on it's back, adhere where necessary. Just make double sure, and be extra careful not to confuse the wires when you solder them, you could burn out your card.

i've seen you write that on gman's topic i think. but i have no idea what chip is in fact the dragon chip. because noob :oops:

Can you point me the dragon chip?

The mem card is pretty flat but this is a good spot for it because it lays pretty flat on the board. Make sure there are no points on the back of the card that could short on the console, use a bit of tape if you need to.

Thanks! I should have soldered the wires to the inside :cry4:

Update

I just ordered one of these:

b1z0oa6h.jpg

It's a very cheap 5.4" screen with speakers and headphone jack. I actually read on benheck forums someone opened up one and it had the same components as the PSOne screen but i highly doubt it as reviews for it are not particularly good. Anyways for a first project it will have to do. It cost less than half of what would cost a dalian screen. I just hope its board is small enough.

It's a ps2 travel pack from a brand called Competition Pro. Just search for ps2 travel pack. There are more than one brand. It cost about £20 shipped from amazon.uk

Update

My screen just arrived. Still not tested or disassembled it. Looked at the AV connector cable that comes bundled and it has:

Ground
Left Audio
Right Audio
Composite

So i guess i'll be working with that. I'll test the screen tonight on my other PS2 to see the quality of it before disassembly.

Lightning said:
tiagoadcosta said:
Screen quality was even worse than imagined. Will return it.

I don't mean to seem insufferable, but do you see what I'm always talking about now?

I think it would get a bit better after bypassing the crappy included AV connector. But it was so bad of a product i don't think it would ever get good enough even for my low standards :oops:
Even the sound was crap!

EDIT:

Do you think a 3.5" is big enough for PS2 gaming?

I've used 3.5 inch screens in probably more than half of my portables. A lot of people think its too small, me I can tolerate it. It comes down to personal preference really. Why not try a larger 4.3 or 5 inch reverse monitor? Yeah there will be some stretching but atleast you have a bigger screen

Dude you're gonna run into the same problem with that one. It's video input is the same as the other, so it'll be the same quality (albeit more condensed). You should look for one that takes VGA or HDMI, even the PS1 screen was VGA after all, not that that makes it the standard for all portable screens, but it's a good jumping off point

Back