Downing's First N64p: The VrgeN64

Downing

Hey guys, I'm new to Mod Retro, but I've been learning and building a portable N64 over at Ben Heck for the past 6 months. Just wanted to share my first completed system with you and just kind of introduce myself into the Mod Retro community!

Let me know what you think, I take compliments, constructive criticism and hate mail. Gives me a good sense of direction.

But anyway, here is the link to the completed page. I also have a full work log on Ben Heck that was started back in November if you want the full detailed version!

Thanks!

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36788 Downing's 1st N64p: The VrgeN64: Completed
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34412&start=0 Downing's 1st N64p: The VrgeN64: Work Log

Welcome to Modretro, cndowning! I think it's good for a first portable, I just don't like the slanted controller, that's all. Otherwise it looks good. As long as it works, doesn't really matter!

samjc3 said:
if i had my way with it, it wouldnt be a vrgeN anymore :lol:

Ah thanks....you know I thought of this project like my baby ya know? haha! :hit: :rofl:

But yeah, it worked and it actually even sold! (do you believe that!?)

As for the tilted controller, that was kind of a necessity at first, but when the back buttons couldn't go where I though they were, it kind of became unconventional but I had already epoxied it in...but the next one is looking pretty sweet so far! Horizontal version, so I'm gonna have to learn how to reroute tracers and so on. But the case is looking pretty slick!

zeturi said:
Welcome to Modretro, cndowning! I think it's good for a first portable, I just don't like the slanted controller, that's all. Otherwise it looks good. As long as it works, doesn't really matter!

BTW, you can call me either Downing or Chris. Never been too creative with screen names, and besides, if I'm doing all this hard work on these projects I'd rather someone know who really did it than just having some odd sounding screen name be responsible. But that's just me, old school like that! haha. But of course, you can still call me whatever you want and who's to stop ya! haha.

Nope. It's a horizontal version. In my sig is a link to my new work log, but basically it's a custom formed casing, kinda like a ZN-45 but not really. But it's already two whole months ahead of the last project because I actually did it right on the 2nd try vs the 20th that my last case took.

Much cheaper and faster when you're not an idiot.

cndowning said:
Nope. It's a horizontal version. In my sig is a link to my new work log, but basically it's a custom formed casing, kinda like a ZN-45 but not really. But it's already two whole months ahead of the last project because I actually did it right on the 2nd try vs the 20th that my last case took.

Much cheaper and faster when you're not an idiot.
I believe vac-formed. Props on doing that, by the way, nearly everyone uses polycases on their first try.

Thanks guys! Yeah it was vacuum formed and that was the hardest part of this whole project! But I've got the process down to a 3rd grade science, and a nice set-up for future models. There are some pics of the second attempt in my sig, and I'll post a few more pics this weekend of the progress.

I almost lost the whole top half of the new case when the drill press sucked the plastic up the shank and spun it around the bit at 3000RPM! But I was able to fix it with some filler and sanding!

I'm going to try and do something with this that I haven't seen before, and if I can pull it off it might even get ShockSlayer's attention...hehe, but that's putting the cart before the horse! I'll most likely fail in a fireball of faded glory, but it's fun to try!

cndowning said:
I almost lost the whole top half of the new case when the drill press sucked the plastic up the shank and spun it around the bit at 3000RPM OVER 9000RPM!!!!!!!!!!! But I was able to fix it with some filler and sanding!
sounds way better now. :awesome:

Oh great, another Chris. That explains why it looks like crap.

;)

The second portable case looks really nice, though.

I like it! Has that "rustic" feel to it. ;)

Really ballsy to make a case from scratch on your first try!

PalmerTech said:
I like it! Has that "rustic" feel to it. ;)

Really ballsy to make a case from scratch on your first try!

Haha, thanks! Yeah I'd say rustic is a good word....a bit smoother to accept than "looks like crap". haha, but what the Heck would my name have to do with that anyway? Do Chris's usually do shotty work?

Thanks again, I like the challenge and the building the vac-former. Really just pushing the limit is what got me to that point! The new one came out so much better and fits so well!

SS, yeah it is kind of an X-pad looking thing isn't it...but whatever, it works and it even sold. Pretty sweet!

Back