First N64p (Commission)

(To view any image in full size just click it)

So I was commissioned to make an N64 portable although admittedly I've never made one before, but decided to give it a try anyway :)

For proof that I've never done one of these before, here's my first attempt at relocating the cartridge slot:

I ended up figuring out the correct way to do it in the end, so here's my progress.

Overview of all the wiring:

Cartridge slot to be relocated to the top of the portable:

Power wires with labels:

Universal AV output:

Player 1 wires with labels:

LED extended with wires:

LOB64 wires with labels:

Custom LOB64 cable:

And finally, here's the overall design I'm going for. It'll be using a 7" screen with an aluminum Wii U Gamepad case as the case:
image.png

The LZ and RZ are both just Z buttons although I may just limit it to one on the right side, but it could be good for if someone were left handed.

Seems good for a first portable, maybe two things I would not do like you want:

1. The power button should not be close to other buttons, there's risk that you press it while playing, would put in in a corner(like 3ds) or on the side of the portable(like a gameboy).

2. To make your portable smaller, I would cut the controller ports away and use a little case to put them in with an external plug, like bacteria did some times. You can use a playstation a/v plug, it has 12 pins and you have 12 pins with 4 controller ports, so you would be able to remove them when you use it has a portable and plug them when you use it has a normal n64.

supersonic_32 said:
Seems good for a first portable, maybe two things I would not do like you want:

1. The power button should not be close to other buttons, there's risk that you press it while playing, would put in in a corner(like 3ds) or on the side of the portable(like a gameboy).

2. To make your portable smaller, I would cut the controller ports away and use a little case to put them in with an external plug, like bacteria did some times. You can use a playstation a/v plug, it has 12 pins and you have 12 pins with 4 controller ports, so you would be able to remove them when you use it has a portable and plug them when you use it has a normal n64.
Thanks for the advice :)

1. I was planning on useing a switch or a button similar to the gamecube power button. It would be sunken in while playing so it's hard to hit.

2. The commissioner specifically asked for this design, but I'll use that in the future :D

Back