Shank's Wii Super Thread

Re: Dyxlesci's Wii Super Thread

bentomo said:
But the 5v line is only visible on two spots on the front and back and I'm waiting for some new REV4 boards to arrive so that I can sand them and get some good sands. There's too much copper missing from the scans that are hosted now.

If you want, I can update those when you sand/scan your boards. I also have a RVL-60 with which I tested relocating wifi, needless to say, it's broken now :p You can have it if you'd like, assuming I've got enough to ship it to ya.

The 5v line runs through some components before it goes to the USB port. If you hooked 5v power-in to the 5v line of the USB port that may have been the cause of the problem. Just throwing stuff out there

Yea that's what I mean, it may be powering the usb device but no the 5v logic of the system. So I'll need to figure out where the power is being sent through.

I realize that this is a Wii Super Thread but this can come in handy as it did with me and it took abit to find this diagram again only to realize that it was removed. So I could only find a really bad Google Image version which I will definitely try to make better. (Sometime tomorrow as it is 4am here where I am.) But I found this and I decided to redo the chart to make it easier to see. I'll redo the entire image later but I figured this would be nice to temporarily have on here till I actually redo it in waaay better quality.
redonecontrollerports_zpsr0wdyodw.png

Hackerbilly said:
I realize that this is a Wii Super Thread but this can come in handy as it did with me and it took abit to find this diagram again only to realize that it was removed. So I could only find a really bad Google Image version which I will definitely try to make better. (Sometime tomorrow as it is 4am here where I am.) But I found this and I decided to redo the chart to make it easier to see. I'll redo the entire image later but I figured this would be nice to temporarily have on here till I actually redo it in waaay better quality.

It's still there bruh :p

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7717

Oh Woah. Okay I did not see that. That's actually super nice then. I was looking for that for quite a while last night

I have added some more content over the past few days. If anybody has any questions about the wii hardware that are not covered in this thread, please let me know, either in this thread or by PM. Something thats obvious to me is not obvious to someone who hasn't torn apart a few dozen Wiis. I want to make modding the Wii as accessible as possible, and if you have a question, its likely somebody else has had or will have the same question.

Thanks a lot for your work, I will certainly use your informations in the near future.
Anyway, not that it really matters, but I think I have a RVL 50 Wii. I used the RTC battery lid method to read the revision number, since I still haven't opened it yet. I will post pictures ASAP

Woah. I have opened DOZENS of wiis and checked dozens more, and never seen a 50. Is your console an NTSC console? Im egar to see if it is a 50

No, I forgot to mention it, it is a PAL console. This night maybe I will open it and I'll take pictures :)

How did you find out all this info about me?

Just a warning to you all, some of the disk drive boards seem to do funny stuff to processors, I had a 01 board that I was messing with different arrangements of drives and it seems like the smaller boards will really mess up the processor if they don't have the power cable hooked up as well... The wii made some static noise on the wii menu (from the tv :p ), and ran at like half or quarter speed and after a couple seconds it shut off, and it seems this board is dead now...

cheese said:
Just a warning to you all, some of the disk drive boards seem to do funny stuff to processors, I had a 01 board that I was messing with different arrangements of drives and it seems like the smaller boards will really mess up the processor if they don't have the power cable hooked up as well... The wii made some static noise on the wii menu (from the tv :p ), and ran at like half or quarter speed and after a couple seconds it shut off, and it seems this board is dead now...

Interesting. Did something short elsewhere in the process? The pinouts of the cables are universally the same from board to board. Id love more details on this so I could add it to the guide.

Some of the boards I tested with just a disc drive connected also need the disc drive board to have the power cable attached to load games.

bentomo said:
Yea that's what I mean, it may be powering the usb device but no the 5v logic of the system. So I'll need to figure out where the power is being sent through.

You do realize that USB uses 3.3v logic but the power lines are 5v, right?
Pretty stupid of you ask me, but that's how it works

Something worth noting: just because a device uses USB communications protocol doesn't mean it has to be powered by a 5v power source.

I have custom regulators wired to a new wii. With 5v connected, the wii wont boot, the same problem bentomo was having. Without 5v connected, SD loading GC games worked fine but no usb and bluetooth. Strange, I had 5v connected on my other test wii and it was booting fine, but that wii also had no bluetooth, was trimmed, and I removed all the power components, not sure if that makes a difference.

update: removed the components and now the wii is booting but no bluetooth. The 5v is going somewhere cuz the usb lights up and I get 5v reading at the disc drive power connector.
Actually the bluetooth is working now. Strange I didnt change anything. This wii is just being a little Sega then.

Dyxlesci said:
*snip*
Interesting. Did something short elsewhere in the process? The pinouts of the cables are universally the same from board to board. Id love more details on this so I could add it to the guide.
I think I may have shorted something near the front, however I will hook it up to my logic analyser when I get some FFC connectors in that I ordered and see exactly what was the cause of the static/slowdown.

Also, amazing work gman! Is the new Wii board trimmed or stock? Also, did you remove the 5 pin regulator thats near the ram?

Back